Spike1942

Work in progress

50 XP

30th September 2003

0 Uploads

192 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

Another XWWII idea I think FH should consider.

Tankers can use external view to spot infantry trying to get into position to destroy them with expacks. Also they can use it to get a excellent field of view around them. This is unrealistic - WWII tanks didn't have an external camera and their field of view was limited.

Disabling external views would force tankers to rotate the turret to see what's happening, or maybe even risk sticking their head out the turret if they think they're safe enough.

The feeling of being in a tank is much more convicing if you can't use external views to 'cheat'. Also it encourages tankers to invite a second person to ride with them to act as a spotter and machine gunner, which is good, as the tank has more chance of survival that way if the two can work as a team. Finally, even better, it encourages the tanks to ask for infantry support to protect them from enemy engineers.

I'm aware that many people won't like this idea because they like looking at their vehicle when they're in it, and maybe take screenshots. But I would say to them that realistic gameplay in this mod should be more important to them than admiring themselves and taking pictures.

Canadian Biatch

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

17th June 2003

0 Uploads

28 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

Spike1942Another XWWII idea I think FH should consider.

Tankers can use external view to spot infantry trying to get into position to destroy them with expacks. Also they can use it to get a excellent field of view around them. This is unrealistic - WWII tanks didn't have an external camera and their field of view was limited.

Disabling external views would force tankers to rotate the turret to see what's happening, or maybe even risk sticking their head out the turret if they think they're safe enough.

The feeling of being in a tank is much more convicing if you can't use external views to 'cheat'. Also it encourages tankers to invite a second person to ride with them to act as a spotter and machine gunner, which is good, as the tank has more chance of survival that way if the two can work as a team. Finally, even better, it encourages the tanks to ask for infantry support to protect them from enemy engineers.

I'm aware that many people won't like this idea because they like looking at their vehicle when they're in it, and maybe take screenshots. But I would say to them that realistic gameplay in this mod should be more important to them than admiring themselves and taking pictures.

only if they can put the commander view soo we can look trew the periscopes and yes they did have them

Leo-The-L337-Llama

Not Funny

50 XP

11th June 2003

0 Uploads

407 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

sorry, but this idea completely crosses the line between realism and fun. EVERY game has an enternal vehicle camera. Sure it can help you, but think on it: how many people are actually smart enough to do that? Besides I like to use the camera to see myself driving around, it looks pretty cool, especially on wake...I'm probably the only person wh does this...don't make fun of me....

also it's very difficult if not impossible for most people for two people to work together in a tank as a driver and spotter. Many people have that chatlag crap, including me, so that's no good. And you can't coordinate very well with just voice commands.

Oh and by the way speaking of external camera, I noticed that if your an infantryman with an MG42 and you go to external and start running around, when the camera is zoomed all the way out the Mg42 tusn into an MG34. very strange

Dot Com

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

26th June 2000

0 Uploads

6,116 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

I like the idea personally...they should make it optional though