Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#1 17 years ago

Here's a thought (just to add complexity to the other horrors of warfare);

Planes go up, but rarely come down for anything other than reloading bombs or simply because the fuselage is turned into just so much confetti by flak.

So, how about a 'fuel tank' graph on the plane. As the throttle is poured on, the fuel starts to be 'used up'. Slowly, of course, to allow the pilot to get up there and do stuff... but eventually, unless they land they'll find their engines go /really/ quiet.

And it can be done for tanks as well. This adds resupply to the other requirements of battle. Tanks can refuel on a repair pad or with an APC but nowhere else. Meaning that if you move at 'full-steam' towards the enemy base, you might find yourself stuck just outside as your tank suddenly runs out of fuel.

It's a step towards realism, and probably creates too much complexity, but I like the idea.

cheesemancrusader

GF best viewed w/ pants off

50 XP

23rd February 2004

0 Uploads

327 Posts

0 Threads

#2 17 years ago

This sounds like a good idea, but overall might slowdown progression in a conquest map. Could emphasize more teamwork possibly. Plus you'd need something like a radio command for more fuel.

G.I. Bob

GF makes me horny

50 XP

11th December 2003

0 Uploads

84 Posts

0 Threads

#3 17 years ago

It would give people a reason to form into tank columns with apc support, but then again considering some people can't even be bothered to keep using their planes once they're out of ammo, we could wind up with nothing but loads of abandoned tanks at the front line.

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#4 17 years ago

yeah, and nothing respawning back at home, meaning that the tankers are going to HAVE to ride the APC into battle. And once they've done that, why not refuel that M10?

Dee-Jaý

Always 1 point ahead of you

50 XP

17th February 2004

0 Uploads

1,694 Posts

0 Threads

#5 17 years ago

Regarding the avaerage lifetime of any vehicle, I think it would be neither realistc, nor would it add much if every vehicle had a fuel limitation (based on the sub oxygen). Normally no vehicle in BF/FH lasts longer than 10 min. (some pilots maybe an exception), and every tanks should be able to drive longer then 10 min...

mondogenerator

Wolfgaming.net *****istrator

50 XP

24th September 2003

0 Uploads

568 Posts

0 Threads

#6 17 years ago

Fuel on a plane may be realistic but even the interceptors with the smallest fuel tanks could stay in the air for a few hours and even with the throttle at 110% your Yak9's could stay up for almost an hour.