hatchetman

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

11th September 2003

0 Uploads

127 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago

Something should be done to allow more people to have a more enjoyable experience with this mod in respect to framerate problems. Now I realize that many people have spent fortunes crafting excellent computers that rarely stutter, so to all of you, please don't post a "well it runs fine on my computer" reply. For the rest of us, framerate tends to detract from the game. Yes all the effects and high rez textures are realistic, but what's the point if you can't play it because of the game trudging along at 5 frames per second? I have a decent computer with fairly recent components and a boatload of RAM, and I can play Vanilla BF without any FR troubles whatsoever with high video settings, but when alot is happening on screen in FH, or in an area with a ton of polies, the FR can sometimes stutter quite a bit even when I have low video FX, which is especially annoying when trying to aim accurately. So I beg you FH team to make some adjustments to improve performance. That being said, I absolutely love the new sound effects, even more than merciless 1942. Hell, I pretty much like everything new in FH, except plane handling, but I'm assured that will be dealt with. And even in version .5 this mod is at the top of my list (especially over vanilla BF). Great Job so far :D

mondogenerator

Wolfgaming.net *****istrator

50 XP

24th September 2003

0 Uploads

568 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago

I had serious frame rate issues. At wolfgaming.net we had FH running on the 64 player server (Dual P4 3.06Ghz with trimmings) and it was exceptionally choppy on most maps. I have a P4 2.4, R9700 pro and 768 Mb DDR 3200 (gives me about 3500 on 3dmark 2003) and I had to drop sounds to 11khz, put my res down to 1024X768 and lost all the sweet stuff my 9700 pro gives me before I got playable FPS, and this was with 40+ people on the server. When 64 people were on most maps were impossible to fly on unless you dropped GFX settings to there very lowest. I really like the mod and its most enjoyable but Im put of playing it due to the frame rate I get on my kit. Even one of the other guys at wolf who has a 9800 pro, 1 Gb of Ram and a P4 3.06 was getting really bad FPS when 50 plus players were on the server.

I don't mean to complain as a lot of work has gone into this but....

hatchetman

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

11th September 2003

0 Uploads

127 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago

I think that either some nice details need to be cut from maps, or skin resolutions need to suffer a tad, or, if it comes to this, some sound fx need to be optomized to allow people to actually play this jewel. Like I said, pretty stuff is nice, but not if it deters from gameplay.

Gameplay over graphics!!!!!!!

B.F. Pierce

FHmod Mapper

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

763 Posts

0 Threads

#4 16 years ago

Well I think some server admins are being a little quick to judge the entire mod based on how well it runs on their servers. Don't worry guys, we know there are framerate problems, we play on your servers too ;)

Atlantic's been completely optimized, I used to get a lot of stutter and my FPS flucuated like mad on that map. It now runs at a smooth 100FPS for me without any fluctuations, except a slight drop when viewing the Tirpitz, but that's the same as for /any/ ship in BF.

We've also located quite a number of problems with our Sound.rfa that have been fixed. Just to let you guys know, there is a very good bug fix in the works right now. It's not 0.5 with all the stuff we wanna add with it, it's just a patch to fix the obvious bugs and get it playing better for most peope, it's on it's way very very soon :)

I'm also very curious as to why you guys with the Radeon 9700's and up with better specs than my system are running choppy on full servers, while I with my GeForceFX5200 and 768 mgs of ram and 1.6ghz processor can play Orel smootly except for the occasional stutter when in really close in firefights involving 10 people and a few tanks in the city. I don't have a cracked out system by any means compared to some of the people reporting FPS issues, but it's being worked on for sure, because I don't like stuttering /at all/ while I'm playing ;) Although it does get pretty choppy on Bocage and BoB at some points when a lot is going on, but most of that's been tracked to our sound.rfa.

hatchetman

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

11th September 2003

0 Uploads

127 Posts

0 Threads

#5 16 years ago

I only have a Geforce 4, so I stick with servers with 32 or fewer people, and usually it runs fine, but in intense firefights with a few tanks and a squad of infantry (in other words when true aim really counts) I can get a lot of stutter to the point where I am actually running at 3 fps. This may also be due to the fact that some vehicles have an hefty poly count.

But thank you thank you thank you for all your work and dedication to the mod and its bugs. At the rate it's going, it doesn't look like I'll play anything else for a long time. :D:)

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#6 16 years ago

orel and atlantic are kinda laggy for me....