flycatcher

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

8th May 2003

0 Uploads

53 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago

Just wandering if you thought about it, not many people know there were chopers before1928 and there are so many difrent models of them.

Quote from. http://m2reviews.cnsi.net/scotts/axis/fl282.htm When one thinks about the first operational helicopter, one thinks of the Sikorsky R-4 that was used by the Coast Guard in the US and overseas in Burma and on Saipan. However, it is the Luftwaffe and the Flettner Fl-282 that were probably used first. First flying in 1940, the Fl-282 differed from the US helicopters by using twin intermeshing blades. This alleviated the need to use a tail rotor to overcome engine torque. The Air Ministry foresaw it's use as a spotter aircraft, both for the Army and for Naval Vessels. Having the BMW 314 7-cylindar radial engine amidships produced a very stable aerial platform in addition to providing good vision for the pilot and observer. The aircraft was tested both in the Baltic and Mediterranean aboard various ships during 1942/43 and found to be a superior aircraft for the task. An order for 1000 machines was placed. However the fortunes of war and the prolonged testing of the aircraft meant that only 24 machines were actually completed.

The aircraft was designed in three different versions, all basically the same but with minor modifications. The B-0 was a single seater with an open cockpit and internal fuel tanks. The B-1 had an enclosed cockpit with external tanks while the B-2 had an open cockpit and observers set with external tanks. Information on the operational use of the Kolibri is scant, but it was used operationally during the period of 1943/45, mostly in the Baltic. It is also supposed that the aircraft was used for various operations in mountainous areas where the ability to get into and out of small landing spots would best be done by a helicopter.

Some pictures. http://www.hiller.org/exhibits/copter-news-v3n8/images/flettner-282.jpg http://www.squadron.com/old/fl282/fl282_2.jpg

VoodooChile

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

27th September 2003

0 Uploads

45 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago

wow. never knew that. but did they use them in any battle that we could add them too? also, every mod adds helis so i dont care too much if it doesnt, but it would be cool.

=IAM= Allen

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

27th September 2003

0 Uploads

21 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago

The Fl-282 Wear use on german subs in the late year or the war, I would like to see A Fl-282 on a sub map

[101-HQ]COL._Duvall

Colonel Duvall; 101st Airborne

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

22 Posts

0 Threads

#4 16 years ago

They were rarely/never used, and were largely useless. The technology of verticle altitude hover was limited, there fore, they could not mount weapons, or a cargo area for troops to ride in.

Peo

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

177 Posts

0 Threads

#5 16 years ago

AFAIK they were more of protoypes than finished products. First war where helos were used in any real numbers was Korea.

[UGB]Brewster

GF makes me horny

50 XP

26th September 2003

0 Uploads

99 Posts

0 Threads

#6 16 years ago

Yeah, but they would be good spotter aircraft :D plus they would be super kewl

Peo

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

177 Posts

0 Threads

#7 16 years ago
'[UGBBrewster']Yeah, but they would be good spotter aircraft :D plus they would be super kewl

Yes but so would the German SAM systems and guided bombs and so on but they were not used in any significant amount so i don't think they should be included.

[21Pzr]Brasche

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

26 Posts

0 Threads

#8 16 years ago

Helocopters were unused. They should not be included in FH. If u wanna fly choppers, go play DC, which is a nice mod. < not trying to say that in a disrespectful way.

HeLmUt_KlAmKe

Hell on Muteā„¢

50 XP

29th August 2003

0 Uploads

729 Posts

0 Threads

#9 16 years ago

Don't turn this mod into another SW

The Jackalx2k

FHmod Developer

50 XP