2ltben

Shpadoinkle

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

261 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

I think that this game would just be better with gliders. Horsas, Wacos, and whatever the Russian gliders were called, being towed by bombers/transport planes. Not to mention Eben Emael could be implemented in the mod.

I figure they would control attached to a supply plane, and then RMB would detach the cable. Once getting low, for Horsas at least there would be a button to hold that would stream the parachute, and once letting go it would jettison. LMB would be to open the exits of the glider.

Just imagine the possibilities. Eben Emael, Benouville and Ranville bridges(now called Pegasus and Horsa bridges, and the road running through them now named Esplanade Major John Howard), Market Garden, etc.

simo_03

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

27th September 2003

0 Uploads

110 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

after gliders were released they were piloted to the gorund. During the d-day invasion many normal soldiers were used to pilot the gliders because there was a huge lack of glider pilots (all unwilling to fly) so i agree there should be gliders but they should just slowly head towards the ground slighly being able to be pulled up and down and turned by a pilot or troop. then when the hit the ground the door should be opened and out the troops come.

MeanMrMustard

Such a mean old man

50 XP

15th September 2003

0 Uploads

178 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

I believe American Glider Pilots weren't trained as soldiers, they just had to land and then get out of the combat zone (although how many were able to actually do this I dont know). Brits had the Glider Pilot Regiment tho, soldiers who had volunteered to be trained to fly, and then had to fight once on the ground. My Grandad was part of this regiment, flew into Normandy on D-Day (with the 6th Airborne I think?) and into Njimegen with the American 82nd Airborne in Market Garden (where he actually witnessed the infamous river crossing). Harry

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Sounds too ambitious, doubt FH will live on that long on this poor engine to go so far as to create gliders.

2ltben

Shpadoinkle

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

261 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Not really, it'd be rather simple, just block any ability to control speed, and everything else just leave as it is in BF. Hell, look at half the planes in this mod, are you saying those are too ambitious to be possible in this mod? If you do, well, just look at them, the Ju52 shouldn't be possible, but it is, the seaplanes shouldn't be possible, but they are.

Also, Brits from the Glider Regiment were trained as soldiers once they landed. Monty gave an order to Major John Howard, the head of the attack on the bridges at Benouville(Pegasus and Horsa, from The Longest Day), a direct order to make sure those pilots got back home. They were later in Operation Market Garden, but John Howard's unit was sadly turned into an infantry unit. We would have successfully captured those bridges at Market Garden if we had special bridge units like D Coy.