BlitzPig_Machine

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

182 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

Alright...where is it?!? 3,426 were produced between Jan '44 until Jul '45. These were all over the ETO but none are in FH. Oh, we'll have several models of UBER-Panther but none of these upgunned Shermans?!? Pfft. Pfft I say. There should at least be a couple of these on Bulge (or any '44 or later map)...and maybe a Jumbo too. :D

M4A1(76)W4.JPG

No...it's NOT a Firefly. :nodding:

Uncle_Sam

Pass me a Lucky Strike...

50 XP

23rd December 2003

0 Uploads

1,120 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Hey! I think I like where this is going! It would be a pleasant site to me on the battlefield.

BlitzPig_Machine

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

182 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

FYI...the M4A3E2 Jumbo would have a very similar turret to the M4A1(76). And while some were 76mm armed, most were 75mm armed....but all had something like 4" of armor on the front hull. Just a thought. :D But there were fewer of these...something like 254 in the ETO (from July '44 onward). Still, another cool tank for FH, especially during that time period. King Tigers, Panthers, Jumbo's, and M4(76)'s.

M26 :D

I would have added this to the first post...but it's that whole time limit thing.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

16th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

So what you are really wanting is a cast hull M4A1 Sherman with the 76mm gun turret?

I would love to see a cast hull Sherman with or without the 76mm gun but The M4A3 was the type that was choosen as the standard M4 Sherman in US Army service. IIRC majority of the cast hull Shermans went to the Brits. But some were used by US forces.

BlitzPig_Machine

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

182 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Yup!

Here's a better shot. Good lookin' tank that.

sherman.color.2.jpg

But, since it's just a turret upgrade, M4A3's were produced w/ 76's also...something like 4,017! Link to production numbers of Sherman variants: http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/UnitedStates/mediumtanks/M4/M4.html

m4lineup.jpg Lead tank is an M4A3(76)

AND the nice thing is that with that turret modeled (although there are variations in the mantlet) you can just stick it on a M4A3 hull (skin it or actually model it so it "looks" bulkier) and PRESTO M4A3E2 Jumbo. But of course...these aren't all that common (254 produced).

75mm Jumbo m4_jumbo_01.jpg

You can do a lot of turret/hull swapping...M36B1 turret to an M10 = M36. Really, the FH team could come up with just about every variant easily.

And a bit of MTOE info: June 1944: M4A3, 08% chance of being M4A3E2 Jumbo Sept 1944: 1 platoon in 3 OR 2 tanks per platoon can be M4A3(76mm), 08% chance of being M4A3E2(76mm). Jan 1945: all can be M4A3E8, with 11% chance of being M26 Pershing.

Hmmm...M26 Pershing. Who knew? But my goal for today is the M4...

And the M4A3E8 Super Sherman (76mm w/ heavier armor).

m4_a3_e8_01.jpg

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

16th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

Would you believe I have seen photos of cast hull Sherman 76's with the "easy eight" suspension?

Was suprised to see cast hull Shermans with the HVSS suspension but with the 76mm too suprised me.

BlitzPig_Machine

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

182 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

I'd believe you. :nodding:

Well...this ain't it... hvss1.jpg

Here we go... saumur_02.jpg

And a M4A3 (hmm...rear deck looks like A5...eh, I'm a Sherman n00b) (105mm) HVSS for kicks...NOTE gun depression! a bit undermodeled in FH: m4a3(105)hvss.jpg

The amount of variation is really pretty amazing. I think it confuses a lot of folks though. modelers :D And this doesn't even include the field mods (added armor plate, etc.). Seriously, it'd be nice to see that variety in FH as it was present on the battlefield.

And of course, I still would like to see a Calliope, too:

calliope_001.jpg Interesting track on this one....

Perhaps on a St. Lo map?

The Calliopes first saw action during Operation Cobra, where 3 of them fired the opening barrage on the German positions near Saint Lo.

ManiK

Dance the dance of life!

50 XP

10th November 2003

0 Uploads

2,134 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

i want my STEWIE!!! :mad: image79.jpg

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

16th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

BlitzPig_MachineI'd believe you. :nodding:

Well...this ain't it... hvss1.jpg

Here we go... saumur_02.jpg

And a M4A3 (hmm...rear deck looks like A5...eh, I'm a Sherman n00b) (105mm) HVSS for kicks...NOTE gun depression! a bit undermodeled in FH: m4a3(105)hvss.jpg

The amount of variation is really pretty amazing. I think it confuses a lot of folks though. modelers :D And this doesn't even include the field mods (added armor plate, etc.). Seriously, it'd be nice to see that variety in FH as it was present on the battlefield.

And of course, I still would like to see a Calliope, too:

calliope_001.jpg Interesting track on this one....

Perhaps on a St. Lo map?

I cant remember what they called those(track grousers?) but it was added on extensions to the stock track to lower ground pressure. IIRC they were originally designed specifically for the Sherman Jumbo's to reduce the effects of the 42 ton weight. They were similar to the German Ostketten.

Problem was if you ran over a rock or curb or hard uneven terrain the track extenders had a tendancy to snap off.

EDIT: They were called Duckbill Track extenders. and if you look at the pic of the Sherman Calliope you can see where a bunch of the extenders have broken off.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

16th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

That sloped rear deck Sherman is a M4A4 with the Chrysler Multibank engine. and it has the HVSS suspension. I can find plenty on the M4A4 and HVSS, but not both together. Interesting photo.