Artie

CCCP

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

545 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

Although the two nations weren't officially at war, Japan and the Soviet Union partook in constant territorial disputes in the late 1930s. Tensions between the two powers escalated and it all led up to the August 1939 battle of Khaklin-Gol in Outer Mongolia. Few people know this, but Soviet-Japanese conflicts took place even before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the battle of Khaklin-Gol was actually a precursor to the world-wide war which would erupt just days after its commencement.

After taking over Manchuria, the Japanese began to spread north into Siberia in 1939. Red Army reinforcements were brought in under the command of Marshall Zhukov. There, The Japanese troops were were surprised and encricled by an army of 57,000 Soviet troops, 500 tanks, and about 400 armored cars. The final casualty statistic was 61,000 Japanese casualties and 23,000 Soviet casualties. This battle proved to the Japanese that the Red Army was a formidable force. After that, Emperor Hirohito vowed never to invade the Soviet Union again and he kept his promise. Largely because of this, a 2nd Axis front was never opened up against the Soviet Union. Such an action would have diverted lots of Soviet troops from the German front and weakened the Soviet defense (this isn't to say that the Soviets would have automatically been defeated. After all, the Japanese army would not have been ready for the harsh conditions of Siberia and would have been outmatched in the inevitable tank battles that would have occurred in the great open plains of Eastern Russia.)

This would be a great map to make, with a Japanese base in the center and 3 or 4 Soviet control points outside of it, all situated on the Khaklin-Gol River. The Soviet-Japanese threater is often overlooked and there aren't any Soviet-Japanese maps in the game. This would be an awesome map in my opinion and I recommend that some people from the FH team do some more research on the battle and try to make this thing happen! Thanks.

Artie

CCCP

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

545 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

More information on the battle...

http://www.russianwarrior.com/STMMain.htm?1939_AsiaHistory.htm&1 (A nice timeline of Soviet-Japanese conflicts leading up to Khaklin-Gol).

http://www.buzzle.com/editorials/12-19-2002-32527.asp (A brief summary of the battle).

http://www.f16.parsimony.net/forum27947/messages/3657.htm (I didn't know this before, but according to this article, the battle of Khaklin-Gol actually saw the introduction of the new Soviet T-34 tank into combat).

Artie

CCCP

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

545 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Anyone like my idea?

[21Pzr]Brasche

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

26 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

I think it sounds pretty cool. Have a assualt type map. where the japs have to defend against the attacking russians. cool idea.

Wehrmacht Rulz

I post to get attention

50 XP

9th July 2003

0 Uploads

66 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Very nice idea, would be a great map for sure :dance:

demonclaw

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

how about the final japanese battle (and the last ww2 battle) against the Soviet union when japanese forces defend their homeland on the kuril islands against a Soviet invasion . you can make it like Iwo jima but with soviet and japanese units

source : http://member.nifty.ne.jp/takixxx/history2.htm read at the bottom of the page

Dime_a_Dozen

FH Dev Team Member

50 XP

1st January 2003

0 Uploads

324 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

I actually have a basic layout/rfa for Khalkin-Gol already created. However, it's on the back burner...way back there. :( I'm not on the FH team, by the way. But if anyone is interested in making it, I can share what I have.

You would need some older russian tanks and armored cars to weave FH's realistic thread too.

Artie

CCCP

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

545 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

Any comments from the devs?