Frederf

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

2nd March 2004

0 Uploads

2,156 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I would like to suggest the creation of non-mobile (or possibly mobile if it strikes your fancy) artillary systems. Generally, artillary as is is pretty useless with firing one shell every few seconds. What I've always thought would bring artillery up to the level of importance and potence it should have would have one person operate many artillery pieces at the same time. Say you hop in an array of 4 mortars in a group. Then given a scout target you can fire the mortars in sequence with a round leaving every 2 seconds, where it takes 8 seconds to load each mortar. Or perhaps a more realistic approach, continuous staggard fire at 1 sec intervals for 20 rounds, then a long wait for the array to get more ammo. The array could all be aimed slightly differently to produce a "natural spread" of trajectories to be used as an area weapon.

Gilson

WHYTHEHELLWONTFHWORKFORME !!!!

50 XP

3rd March 2004

0 Uploads

100 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

That sounds nasty. But realistic. You are moving forward, then, out of nowhere, shells are droping in your area. Everywhere u run, your mates die. You find a wreck of a tank to hide in and wait. You creep out of it when the shells stop. You continue forward with care. Then, you get shot by your own team mate.

PanzerAce

Some Guy...

50 XP

11th January 2004

0 Uploads

736 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago
GilsonThen, you get shot by your own team mate.

:rofl:

Dee-Jaý

Always 1 point ahead of you

50 XP

17th February 2004

0 Uploads

1,694 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

I like the idea aswell. At this stage only the Katushkas allow you to do real barrages. I thinks thats a shame, because thats is the actual purpose of artillery, to barrage a certain area. I´m not sure if controlling multiple artillerys at once is the best idea, maybe just increase the firerate and then add a reload phase...

ifixphns

VMA-121 U.S.M.C. WOLF RAIDERS

50 XP

20th January 2004

0 Uploads

22 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Mulitple Arty arrays should work. for example, the AAA and secondary guns of the battleships on the Atlantic map allow you to control multiple weapons. Why couldn't it work on land. As for being mobile, that's another story. you could place several howitzers (sp) or PAK type tubes on a hilltop or reverse slope of a hill, surround them with sandbags and a couple ammo crates. use-key one tube and have control of 2 or 3 tubes. let your spotter give you a target and let the lead fly. of course you wouldnt want all rounds to land in the exact same spot, deviate each tube to be off by say 20 meters so you get a nice spread. (EDIT) just like the ingame arty, emplace them with a limited radius so that they cover natural choke points and lines of attack.

Frederf

50 XP

2nd March 2004

0 Uploads

2,156 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

I'm glad my idea is getting encouragement. Since any misaiming of the tubes or barrels would be in degrees, the spread would increase with distance. Thankfully, that's logical/realistic.

ifixphns

VMA-121 U.S.M.C. WOLF RAIDERS

50 XP

20th January 2004

0 Uploads

22 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

quite right, a 2-5 degree variance in the tubes from the point of aim would cause a variance in spread of inpact in relation to the distance the rounds were fired. Kind of like how the choke in a shotgun's muzzle affects the spread in the pellets over distance. One must also take into account the fact that the tube are spread out, say 10-20m apart in a fire base (depending on size). It would be nice to see arty batteries, or even mortar batteries in future FH releases. :bows:

Sky_Hunter

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

4th March 2004

0 Uploads

16 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

Having served in the Military in an artilery unit i would like to comment on this. The 105mm Howitzer is typically crewed by a team of 5-7 in peace time and could infact be manned by just one person if the need arose, however, a punishing rate of fire for a gun would be to fire more than once every 5 seconds. It is possible to do so, but to keep up for extended periods of time took teams of loaders taking turns loading. Batteries of guns (typically 3+) would have fire called down by a forward observer closer to the actual target. Typically it would go something like this "Fire mission Battery, 1 round adjust fire" The 105 has a 11km range, the round could take as long as a minute to arrive depending on range and elevation the gun is fired at The round impacts and misses the target by 400 meters to the left, the FOO and the Artillery command post engage in adjusting the fire of the battery by firing one round at a time, braketing the target (right 600, left 400, right 200, left 100, right 50 etc) until the round lands within the target area. Then the call comes "6 rounds Fire for Effect" The command post supplies elevation and bearing for each gun, and also dictates the types of rounds, the fuse types and the number of 'charge' bags (bags of cordite) to fire the gun with. Each gun in the battery commences firing 6 rounds with the specified setting and covers an area with rounds. If i recall correctly the kill radius of a 105mm round is about 30m or 90ft. Though i may be confusing that with a 155mm round. The 105mm Howitzer which was commonly used during WWII and infact is still used by the Canadian Military and some National Guard units in the states was lightweight. Infact 1 man could pickup and spin the entire gun to face another direction with minimal effort. Thus i find the restriction of having it moved (even the inability to turn in place) to be a little un-realistic. Also i find the trajectory of the 105's on the maps i played to be unrealistic as well. I was able to get one shot hits in direct fire practices at well up to 1000m with little correction for trajectory. Just my thoughts anyways. Not only am i a aviation fan, i like arty Something else i just remembered, the 105 was able to be depressed past 90 degrees (it had limited ability to fire down) and up to nearly 90degrees vertical... "There are two kinds of people in the world, Gunners and Targets. If your not a Gunner your a target"

Sputty

Master of Kittens

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

927 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

This could work, but IMO would only work well if it was light arty like Mortars.

Frederf

50 XP

2nd March 2004

0 Uploads

2,156 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

The problem with having flat trajectories on artillery is that the BF terrain is way too exaggerated and too small for practical use of flat-firing artillery. The trajectory and muzzle velocity/distance need to be scaled within the small confines of the vertically exaggerated maps.