MeanMrMustard

Such a mean old man

50 XP

15th September 2003

0 Uploads

178 Posts

0 Threads

#11 15 years ago
A_Rude_GestureWould be cool to implement the M3....get a bit of difference from the rest of the Tommycookers/Ronsonburners. But when it comes to the Calliope (the second link) from what I understand it was rarely used and then only during the late war....it was, again from what I understand, only used once or twice. I might be wrong though. //A_Rude_Gesture

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but dont think the second link is a calliope, weren't they the Shermans with rocket launchers on the turret? The second link is (as it quite obviously states) a self propelled howitzer. Would be great to see an M3 in future versions, could also be used if a Burma or other mainland Asia map was made, as I believe many were sent there when they became obsolete in the European/African front. Harry

A_Rude_Gesture

Scanian Partisan

50 XP

18th March 2004

0 Uploads

30 Posts

0 Threads

#12 15 years ago
MeanMrMustardCorrect me if I'm wrong here, but dont think the second link is a calliope, weren't they the Shermans with rocket launchers on the turret? The second link is (as it quite obviously states) a self propelled howitzer. Would be great to see an M3 in future versions, could also be used if a Burma or other mainland Asia map was made, as I believe many were sent there when they became obsolete in the European/African front. Harry

Ah, yes. You're quite right. My bad. Obviously it's the howitser...a thing I would have noticed had I not inherited a passion for single malt and staying up late from me dad. Again, sorry, it was my mistake. It's not a Calliope. //A_Rude_Gesture

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#13 15 years ago

Yes the M3 Grant did fire AP rounds.

The M3 Grant carried the 75mm M2 cannon that fired a M61 APCBC at a muzzle velocity of 1,926fps and could penetrate roughly 65mm of armor at 500m and roughly 50mm of armor at 1000m. The Grant carried 65 rounds of 75mm ammo.

Later versions of the M3 Grant carried the M3 75mm gun which is the same gun that came in the M4 Sherman.

The 37mm gun in the turret fired a M51 APCBC round that could penetrate roughly 46mm at 500m and 40mm at 1000m

Both the 75mm and the 37mm could also fire HE rounds which were greatly appreciated by the Brits.

An interesting note: The Brits had problems with the US M61 AP rounds tip shattering upon impact with the German face hardened armor. One British Officer noticed that it would be possible to take captured German 75mm APCBC rounds and modify them to fit the US 75mm casings. A small production facility was setup in the rear area where German 75mm PzGr 39 armor piercing tips were removed from the German shell casings and were machined to fit the US M61 shell casing. These were used in combat til El Alamein when the US M3 75mm came into service with the improved M72 APCBC round.

perry07

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

15th February 2004

0 Uploads

6,510 Posts

0 Threads

#14 15 years ago

i think one of those tanks is on the makin map

ManiK

Dance the dance of life!

50 XP

10th November 2003

0 Uploads

2,134 Posts

0 Threads

#15 15 years ago

you're thinking of the LVT(A)4, which is basically the turret from an M8 Howitzer carriage attached to an LVT(4)

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#16 15 years ago

Yes my point was that the turret is already modelled.

MeanMrMustard

Such a mean old man

50 XP

15th September 2003

0 Uploads

178 Posts

0 Threads

#17 15 years ago

Probably a stupid question here, but was there any difference between an 'M3 Lee' and an ' M3 Grant'? Harry

Admiral Donutz VIP Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#18 15 years ago

:google:

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#19 15 years ago
MeanMrMustardProbably a stupid question here, but was there any difference between an 'M3 Lee' and an ' M3 Grant'? Harry

Not a stupid question, I had the same thought last week and looked it up and found a detailed answer.

"The M3s Grants produced for the British in 1941/42 had a completely different cast turret configuration than the same vehicles built for the Americans. This different turret design eliminated the original tall commander's machine gun cupola while enlarging the overall diameter of the turret to include a rear overhanging bustle for radio equipment. Except for internal and external stowage, the remainder of the vehicle was just about identical with the first American mediums named M3 "General Lee" by the British, while their own version was named M3 "General Grant"..."

http://afvinteriors.hobbyvista.com/grant/grant1.html

So main difference is the radio equipment was moved to the back of the new turret where the commander was.

MeanMrMustard

Such a mean old man

50 XP

15th September 2003

0 Uploads

178 Posts

0 Threads

#20 15 years ago

Yeh probably cda googled it but felt like making some lucky person feel gd about themselves by answering a question. Lol. Had a vague recollection that the Grant was a British renaming of the American Lee, but didnt know about the turret thing. Interesting stuff. Looking at those pictures again, its a fantastic looking tank aesthetics wise imo, but doesnt half look vulnerable with that huge profile. Gimme a Matilda II anyday lol. Harry