Uncle_Sam

Pass me a Lucky Strike...

50 XP

23rd December 2003

0 Uploads

1,120 Posts

0 Threads

#1 17 years ago

I just got done playing EoD 3.0 or whatever the new one was, and I have to say...they had some DAMN NICE night effects. I've been told time and time again that we can't have a nighttime DDay Airborne map because BF's night effects suck. I beg to differ here. I played Bad Moon Rising and Hill_Night, and I didn't see a damn thing wrong with their night effects. So obviously we can have night maps that don't look like crap. My Suggestion: Lets see some in a future release. (I'll post some screens once my host stops being stupid)

Dee-Jaý

Always 1 point ahead of you

50 XP

17th February 2004

0 Uploads

1,694 Posts

0 Threads

#2 17 years ago

Amen

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#3 17 years ago

old DC already had cool Night effects ..

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#4 17 years ago

There's no reason why we can't have a decent night map for FH. The problem is 'extra lighting' from explosions and things like that. Because the BF engine sucks and DOESN'T support fancy-pants lighting, when there's an explosion that should light up the night sky, there's nothing :/

Uncle_Sam

Pass me a Lucky Strike...

50 XP

23rd December 2003

0 Uploads

1,120 Posts

0 Threads

#5 17 years ago

http://www.gamingforums.com/showthread.php?t=102378&highlight=nighttime I just want this. Couldn't you just make a new sprite or whatever (that's what the explosion details were called in DoD, not sure what they are in BF), couldnt you just make them larger and brighter? The only exlposion im concerned with would be the muzzle flash from AA guns. I just want a damn Night-Airborne-DDay map!!!!

Calvin

forum lurker extraordinaire

50 XP

17th November 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#6 17 years ago

Not sure if you've noticed already but the current version of FH (0.5) already has a thickened tracer effect on the 40 mm flak guns. It would look great on a night time airborne drop. Love the idea alot Uncle Sam, I'm a strong advocate of this. It would be a very complicated map already to achieve a realistic night time environment but here's some ideas to make it even more complicated!

- Clouds: borrowing from dc here but stretching a texture of some sort at a high altitude would be nice. Also protects the planes from being utterly devastated.

-spot lights: No one in a multiplayer server would man these so have some around and link them to an anti-aircraft gun (much like the side guns on a battleship is coded or the AA guns on 0.6 wake island (controlled by 1 person who fires a battery of guns)): The beam of light perhaps can be some sort of texture that moves.. (an cone object without a collision mesh?) It would help the AA gunner as well as casting a bunch of beams everywhere along with the 'fireworks' of the tracers in the air.

-the Objective/spawn points should be in a central area, though this map is big to let planes fly around, the objective is in the center of the map (the village of Ste-Mere Eglise perhaps) people who miss the drop zone will end up in the outlying farmland- recreating what the paratroopers had to do (group up if they could find anyone at all and attack the village).

- like the dead cows, the grim sight of paratroopers hanging from trees perhaps can be modeled as static objects

Anyway, just thought these ideas might add to a truly magnificent map idea.

exist

I post to get attention

50 XP

22nd January 2004

0 Uploads

72 Posts

0 Threads

#7 17 years ago

EoD 0.3 have flares (flash grenades?) or something like that. When you throw them you get a cool flash effect. Difficult to describe but I think it works pretty well.

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#8 17 years ago

what map /class have them ?

marquis1

a.k.a. MaRQuiS>[DK]

50 XP

1st February 2004

0 Uploads

139 Posts

0 Threads

#9 17 years ago

Uuh yeah, a night D-Day map would be so awesome!! Gee, it could be really nice if you were able to see the AA's shooting! "Noice" as Raab Himself would say it :D!

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#10 17 years ago
existEoD 0.3 have flares (flash grenades?) or something like that. When you throw them you get a cool flash effect. Difficult to describe but I think it works pretty well.

they have smoke genades. They send up collums of colored smoke.

I would really like to see a night map in FH sometime in the near future. A para map or city fight (commando raid or french resistance was discused i belive) would be really sweet.

Maybe in .7 :p