Tsuruchi Brian

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

30th January 2004

0 Uploads

36 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I know ALOT of people like being able to use enemy vehicles. But I think it's gay. In real war NOBODY EVER uses enemy vehicles. I think even beyond the notion that you don't want to get shot at by your friends, usually soldiers are not trained to use vehicles other than their own. I think we could allow using enemy cars and trucks. Those are pretty universal to use. But as soon as you start getting into tanks, planes, ships, etc, it gets a little ridiculous. Also I don't have a big problem with using enemy AA guns, mnachine guns, and small arms. Even though this is rare, it occasionally does happen in warfare. I'm thinking a good disadvantage to using enemy small arms would be that you cannot retrieve ammo from the ammo containers in the map, so eventually you have to get another gun again (sort of like you not having a supply of enemy ammo) Anyways back to the vehicles. If we weren't allowed to get in enemy vehicles, we could implement all sorts of cool stuff. Like someone else suggested getting rid of the minimap. And also possibly getting rid of having enemy screennames pop up when you point at them. To alot of people this probably sounds like a step backwards, but I think it will make the game more realistic and more fun. Even though it makes it harder for you to see enemies, it makes it harder for them to see you too. And we can have alot more sneaking around. Also I really like the notion of having to learn which vehicles are are friends and foes just by looking at them. This is what people did back in world war 2. The had to recognize planes, tanks, etc by their silhouettes. And sometimes you get it wrong, but thats life (or death). Anyways I'd rather accidentally friendly fire because I made a mistake like that rather than because one of my guys gets in an enemy tank. Nothing more irritatating when some guys jack your plane and take it back to their hangar and keep repairing it. This will also vastly help CTF (I don't know if anyone ever plays FH ctf, or even if it's possible, but this applies to all battlefield CTF's) No more grabbing the flag, running to a enemy plane or jeep, and capping. This will greatly increase the need for teamwork. And as far as how this would all work on the minimap... I think you should be able to see your own units on the minimap and your own empty vehicles, and thats it. That way you won't see anything if an enemy pops out of a plane right behind you, but you will still be able to see your own empty vehicles.

Tsuruchi Brian

50 XP

30th January 2004

0 Uploads

36 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

I don't know if this is possible, but it would be cool if enemy units appear on everyones minimap when I scout tags them with the binoculars. So tanks can still try to shoot them from far away, but even planes and infantry can see exactly where they are too.

Chu-Ko-Nu

Lord Of KubelDeath (TM)

50 XP

16th December 2003

0 Uploads

26 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

One, methinks it's impossible. Two, I completely agree. Generally, American GI's did not know how to read German, so they could not drive a Tiger around. However, driving a Kubelwagon around would be fine, because the gas pedal and steering column are reasonably simple.

Tsuruchi Brian

50 XP

30th January 2004

0 Uploads

36 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago
Chu-Ko-NuOne, methinks it's impossible. Two, I completely agree. Generally, American GI's did not know how to read German, so they could not drive a Tiger around. However, driving a Kubelwagon around would be fine, because the gas pedal and steering column are reasonably simple.

I think at least making it so certain vehicles are only usable by certain teams is definately possible. In normal battlefield (and I think in FH) the battleships can not be driven by enemy players.

Sputty

Master of Kittens

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

927 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago
Tsuruchi BrianI think at least making it so certain vehicles are only usable by certain teams is definately possible. In normal battlefield (and I think in FH) the battleships can not be driven by enemy players.

Yep, that's what I was thinking too

Mister-T

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

1st December 2003

0 Uploads

98 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

Or maybe ennemy vehicles will need to be "convert" by an Engineer before use it. That convertion may draw a big swastikas or ally star on the side of the vehicle.

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

That should stop some TKs... have the stuka with big stars instead of iron crosses :D

ArcherMH

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

29th April 2003

0 Uploads

38 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

IMO 'basic' vehicles should be able to be used by either teams (ie jeeps, kubelwagons, deuce and a halves, etc) but the more complicated vehicles should be team specific (armour, planes, ships). The biggest problem is what happens if you cap an enemy base that has a tank at it? You can't use it but attacking infantry can go ahead and jump in. Overall a good idea, but a few things need consideration.

And an American did steal a FW190 after being shot down in WWII.

ifixphns

VMA-121 U.S.M.C. WOLF RAIDERS

50 XP

20th January 2004

0 Uploads

22 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

yank4sm.jpg enemy vehicles were regularly captured during WW2, by both sides. They were meticulously studied by engineers and techno-types. This is a page from "Yank" magazine depicting vehicles captured, and sometimes modified for use. Especially interesting is the modified SPArty pieces modified by the Germans and it's corresponding caption. You'll also notice around the center of the page, the caption: "HOW TO DRIVE AN AXIS VEHICLE". Yank Magazine was widely read in many theaters during WW2, so many frontline soldiers would have possibly carried this small tidbit of info into the field with them. So, to say: "In real war NOBODY EVER uses enemy vehicles." is quite inaccurate. But the practice of jumping in an enemy vehilce during the heat of battle and using it against it's former owners requires a little more research. Which I intend to do.

ifixphns

VMA-121 U.S.M.C. WOLF RAIDERS

50 XP

20th January 2004

0 Uploads

22 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

Another Chronicled fact of the use of enemy vehicles during WW2: On 1st August 1944, after five years of occupation, the Armia Krajowa (National Army), the main group of the Polish resistance in Warsaw, waited for help from the Soviet Army, only 50 km away. The structure of the Armia Krajowa (AK) was like that of a 'secret army' and it included some units equipped with tanks and AFVs that had been trained by old members of the 3rd Polish Armoured Battalion, using captured German equipment. During the revolt against the occupying German force in Warsaw 40,000 members of the AK faced a numerically similar enemy, but with less than adequate armament. The AK had only light armament at its disposal, apart from what they had captured from the Germans. The Germans, however, were geared to urban warfare and used specific weapons for the task, such as the BrummbŠr and Sturmtiger assault guns, radio-controlled Borgwards and Goliath demolition vehicles, flame-throwers, large 600mm Karl mortars, tanks and aircraft. During the first days of the revolt, the AK had managed to capture some German tanks, which where used against their previous owners. The Poles captured examples of the Panther, Hetzer, SdKfz 251 half-tracks, Borgwards and other vehicles. They also used a 'home made' armoured truck, called Kubus (a nickname of one of the constructors' wives), an example of which survives and is on display at the Warsaw Military Museum. All captured vehicles captured from the Germans were given a name which was painted on them, such as Pudle, Chwat and Jas. The Germans soon discovered that the Poles made a great effort to capture and recover abandoned German vehicles, so they put mines and explosives inside them to inflict as many casualties as possible. On 13th August a captured German tank exploded killing and wounding more than 300 people