VioLAtoR[xL]

Retteketet met je Bajonet

50 XP

29th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,075 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

Perhaps it is possible to code a significant difference between vehicle on and off road speed? If this is not codeable I suggest making off road terrain full of bumps and ditches to slow down vehicles choosing to plow through a forest.

In the current situation roads have no tactical advantages whatsoever, so I usually drive well clear of them. No need to drive in such an obvious place.

Swe_Flying_Frog

The Frogs Will Invade By Air

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

324 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

This would be realy cool.. This makes the roads more important.. Then it could be easier to set up an lovley ambush :)

Dee-Jaý

Always 1 point ahead of you

50 XP

17th February 2004

0 Uploads

1,694 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Yeah, wouldn´t mind beeing able to travel about 50 % faster on roads. But don´t make tanks even slower than they are allready. Especially the Tiger is veeerrrry slooooow. And whatever you do about the ditches, be carefull, because my arty got stuck in a 5 inch ditch once and couldn´t move out...

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Now see this is where this could come in handy. FH IIRC is trying to implement such a thing using the material maps in the game to affect the speeds.

On roads the Sherman is faster than a Tiger I. Off road the wide battle tracks on the Panther and Tiger mean they have lower ground pressure than a Sherman and are as fast if not faster off road than a Sherman.

2ltben

Shpadoinkle

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

261 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Well, for vehicles like trucks and jeeps they slow down offroad, but for stuff like halftracks and tanks, those were meant to go offroad. The only real thing to slow them down would be to have hilly terrain they'd go slow over.

Roads were for the most part an organizational thing.

VioLAtoR[xL]

Retteketet met je Bajonet

50 XP

29th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,075 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

Yeah sure tracked vehicles were ment to go offroad, but they still went considerably slower than on.

2ltben

Shpadoinkle

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

261 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

I want a Hell's Highway map if this is implemented, having to wait for a bulldozer to push destroyed vehicles out of the way whenever one gets destroyed.

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

IIRC DC had a feature where the Humvee suddenly went REALLY damn fast every time it went over a bridge, and then slowed down again when it hit the road. So this suggests its possible, but just a matter of applying the characteristics of the bridge to the roads.