the_move

Frisch, Fromm, Fröhlich, Frei!

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

656 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago

I know it is not a very powerful tank, but...

1. The gun´s trajectory is even worse than from the Chi-Ha

2. Somehow the projetiles move slower than from other tanks. Where they really that slow.

In fact it fires like the Panzer 4 from Vanilla BF.

Cragger

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

4th October 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago

Depends on how the did muzzle velocities for this mod. 1/3, 1/4th or real or what. vanilla BF used roughly 1/10 velocities.

Here is a data table for German artillery of WW2.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/html/germany/guns.html

The Panzer IVD was armed with the 7.5cm KwK 37 L/24 cannon.

the_move

Frisch, Fromm, Fröhlich, Frei!

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

656 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago

It also goes pretty slow.

I know it was slow, but it could go over 20 km/h. And if FH it´s is almost as slow as infantry.

Peo

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

177 Posts

0 Threads

#4 16 years ago

The PzIVD had a short gun meant to fire HE rounds it wasn't meant to engage other tanks. The Chi-Ha had a higer velocity gun iirc a 37mm or somethign similar.

Cragger

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

4th October 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#5 16 years ago
PeoThe PzIVD had a short gun meant to fire HE rounds it wasn't meant to engage other tanks. The Chi-Ha had a higer velocity gun iirc a 37mm or somethign similar.

Yes it was, otherwise you design what is called an assault gun. Or the Stug , the Hetzer, the Elephant as the Germans assault guns where called. Those weren't meant to engage other tanks but rather infantry fortifications.

-SSLS- dEmOnSpAwN

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

16th September 2003

0 Uploads

108 Posts

0 Threads

#6 16 years ago
CraggerYes it was, otherwise you design what is called an assault gun. Or the Stug , the Hetzer, the Elephant as the Germans assault guns where called. Those weren't meant to engage other tanks but rather infantry fortifications.

uhmmmm you say that Hetzer ,Later Stug´s and Elephant/Ferdinand were not meant to engage tanks? :rolleyes:

Peo

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

177 Posts

0 Threads

#7 16 years ago
CraggerYes it was, otherwise you design what is called an assault gun. Or the Stug , the Hetzer, the Elephant as the Germans assault guns where called. Those weren't meant to engage other tanks but rather infantry fortifications.

Guderian envisioned 2 types of tanks.

1 made for engaging other tanks this was the PzIII. 1 made for supporting infantry, this was the PzIV.

Cragger

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

4th October 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#8 16 years ago

PeoGuderian envisioned 2 types of tanks.

1 made for engaging other tanks this was the PzIII. 1 made for supporting infantry, this was the PzIV.

The PIVD was equipped with

46 rounds of High Explosive 22 rounds of High Explosive Anti Tank 12 rounds of Armor Penetrating

The 7.5 cm KwK L24 loaded with K Gr rot Pz (HEAT) Ammo could outpenetrate the 3.7 cm Kwk L/45 loaded with PzGr (AP) Ammo at any range.

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/html/germany/guns.html

While the original role of this tank was the destroy of the opposing anti-tank weapons out of reach other German models. It thus acted in the beginning as a tank of support. However, it soon proved to be far more capable of dealing with heavily armored allied armor such as the Matilda 2, Char, A15s and such than the PIII could with its 3.7cm gun.

Major Hartmann

Major Disinformation

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,347 Posts

0 Threads

#9 16 years ago

You don't want to engage a MatildaII with a PanzerIV equippped with a 75L24....

FH uses Half realistic muzzlevelocitiess. The 75L24 had a muzzlevelocity of between 385 and 450m/s, compared to 800 and more m/s on real tankguns. Original BFs muzzlevelocities are completely incorect. Not more to say about that.

Cragger

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

4th October 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#10 16 years ago

Major HartmannYou don't want to engage a MatildaII with a PanzerIV equippped with a 75L24....

FH uses Half realistic muzzlevelocitiess. The 75L24 had a muzzlevelocity of between 385 and 450m/s, compared to 800 and more m/s on real tankguns. Original BFs muzzlevelocities are completely incorect. Not more to say about that.

At range sure you would. The 75L24 out ranged the 2 pounder of the Matilda 2. Coupled with the superlative German optics and sights it had a good chance.

I'm not saying it didn't have a 'lob' to it as it was an addapted howister gun. Its short barrel flat out meant a lower muzzle velocity than other weapons. But the shell itself packed alot more punch than a 3.7cm or 4 cm AP round.