Peo

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

177 Posts

0 Threads

#11 17 years ago

CraggerAt range sure you would. The 75L24 out ranged the 2 pounder of the Matilda 2. Coupled with the superlative German optics and sights it had a good chance.

I'm not saying it didn't have a 'lob' to it as it was an addapted howister gun. Its short barrel flat out meant a lower muzzle velocity than other weapons. But the shell itself packed alot more punch than a 3.7cm or 4 cm AP round.

The L24 gun couldn't penetrate the matilda armour.

Cragger

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#12 17 years ago
PeoThe L24 gun couldn't penetrate the matilda armour.

Up to 2000m the L24 loaded with Gr 38 H1/A (Which is HEAT I mistakenly listed the HE K Gr rot Pz as HEAT) it can penetrate 70mm of armor at 30 degrees.

Thus it can penetrate the Sides, Rear, and even the Front Hull depending on the angle. As the Matilda 2 was very well armored throughout the only true vulnerable spots to the L24 would be the Upper Front, Rear, and Upper sides (The Spacing between the skirt and lower sides would negate the HEAT effect).

As the PIVD was 10mph faster and its gun outranged the Matilda's, its just a matter of scoot and shoot tactics. It would probably take multiple shots at least.

Cragger

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#13 17 years ago
-SSLS- dEmOnSpAwNuhmmmm you say that Hetzer ,Later Stug´s and Elephant/Ferdinand were not meant to engage tanks? :rolleyes:

They where in design assault guns. Assault guns are turretless 'tanks' because their intent is to be pointed at a objective assisting the assault. The Germans in the later years and thru desperation modified the basic idea to defensive assault guns that would still have their objective localized in one direction.

So technically I'm wrong in that they where given the armament to be able to take out armor but it was more of a tank destroyers, defensive role. You wouldn't send these units into a fluid tank battle with armor unless its all you had, where they could be quickly flanked and unable to return fire because of their turretless design.

Some crews did excell though in offensively engaging tanks with these units but it wasn't the average case.

Major Hartmann

Major Disinformation

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,347 Posts

0 Threads

#14 17 years ago

The 75mmL24 with early war shots (The MatildaII was only used in early war) could only penetrate 41mm at 100m... not enough for the MatildaII. The 2pounder on the other side could penetrate the early PanzerIVs thickest armour (30mm) at ranges greater than 1500m.

Cragger

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#15 17 years ago

You'll have to show me the introduction dates on the ammunition as I don't have a single book or legit website that shows the introduction dates on the Gr 38 H1/A ammo.

This is what I do have on the Matilda2 though. I wouldn't exactly state 1942 as early war only.

Used by the 4th and 7th Royal Tank Regiments in France 1940 at Battle of Arras. Used in Africa and last battle was Alamein in July 1942. In the 42nd and 44th Royal Tank Regiments in Egypt and Cyrenaica. Half squadron of the 7th Royal Tank Regiment was lost on Crete.

While fighting in Libya in 1940 and 1941 it was nearly invulnerable to antitank fire. Became known as the Queen of the Battlefield. However, once the Germans brought 88 mm Flak guns this dominance was over

the_move

Frisch, Fromm, Fröhlich, Frei!

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

656 Posts

0 Threads

#16 17 years ago

I still think the Panzer IV D´s cannon is still strong enough for the CrusaderIII.