AussieZaitsev

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2003

0 Uploads

1,970 Posts

0 Threads

#31 14 years ago

well all sniper rifles are fine with the exception of one. the No4 rifle....honestly, i can handle the bullet drop but it still takes 2 and sometimes more shots to bring down a soldier

axkgkadragon

GF is my bext friend *hugs GF*

50 XP

16th November 2003

0 Uploads

798 Posts

0 Threads

#32 14 years ago

lol you think thats bad? ive shot as soldier three times with the arisucka sniper and saw him duck behind a rock

peckens

peck peck peck wooodddddd

50 XP

26th January 2004

0 Uploads

431 Posts

0 Threads

#33 14 years ago

there is nothing wrong with the snipers except the scope CROSSHAIRS need to be changed not the scope DETAIL

lukav

очковтирательско

50 XP

10th May 2004

0 Uploads

292 Posts

0 Threads

#34 14 years ago

sniper rifles are just the stock rifles with scopes as far as i can tell, no special bonuses, you have to account for bullet drop in .65 but they decided to take it out in .66 for performance reason i think, i remember i was using one in a test and it was pretty easy

Major Hartmann

Major Disinformation

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,347 Posts

0 Threads

#35 14 years ago

Sniper rifles have a min inaccuracity of 0 in code, while normal rifles are set around 0.3, pistols around 1. This means you can put the bullet exactly where you want to, no devitation at all. (safe drop)

Skipster

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

29th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,068 Posts

0 Threads

#36 14 years ago
'[ss-Winters']Hi Guys, 4 The scope, can be set up to counter wind drift, experianced trained snipers would have little difficulty in adjusting this in the field. 5 As above the corrections for elevation (distance) are made with much suttler changes (as opposed to iron sights)

That makes sense, and would explain the slower "closing time" for sniper rifles. It seems to simulate setting the sights to account for wind and bullet drop. With a plain rifle (no zoomed-in scope), it's a lot easier to use some quick & dirty "Kentucky Windage"

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#37 14 years ago

The issue with Sniper rifles isn't so much about how you use them, its about how they NEED to be used.

In FH, if you move your sights left or right without moving your body (mouse movements) then your crosshairs expand. Now lets look at the people who play FH:

If you stand still, you die. Everyone who's played one map knows this much. Infantry Manning MGs have signed their own death scentence. They stick out with all their vital organs neatly exposed for all to see and snipe.

Now, if you want to be any sort of sniper, you either need to find idiot players who stand still and THEN go prone, wait 6 seconds, and still hit about 50% of the time. If you want to make a difference and help your team though, you need to be able to hit moving targets.

The very systems that govern accuracy make this nearly impossible. If you move your mouse, you become innacurate. So firing at a moving target (which is 99% of all targets) is immediately going to cause you to be innacurate because you have to move your mouse to adjust for lead time.

My suggestion for sniper rifles to fix this:

No bullet drop. Its a pain in the ass, especially for Snipers which are rare enough that it should not be an issue. There's no training for people to tell how MUCH the bullet will drop and no reticle to base it off. At long range, you don't see bullet hit effects, so you can't tell where your bullet hit and how to adjust. Plus, apperantly, it lags.

No aim deviation when moving the mouse when prone. If you are prone, you should not suffer innacuracy for moving the mouse. You have to lead and aim ahead. You have to be able to shoot moving targets.

No damage decrease at range for Sniper rifles. This is another scale issue. With normal rifles, shooting across the map would be relatively impossible. But with Sniper rifles, you don't have ANY close range ability (overzoom, no non-zoomed crosshair) but you are forced to use it in long range scenarios. Long range with a sniper rifle is much farther then long range with a normal infantry weapon in BF1942. So damage decrease at range should not be an issue. Sniper rifles need to be one-shot kills in order to be effective.

My final bit of ranting is with loadout. Give snipers either a Pistol or give them crosshairs in first person. The rifles still had iron sights and the users of the Sniper rifles were always trained marksmen. It isn't unfeasible that they would be able to fire accurately at close range as well as long range. If that's considered overpowering, at least give them a pistol. Snipers need to relocate after several shots and they need defense while relocating. There's no way that would make them overpowered.

Major Hartmann

Major Disinformation

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,347 Posts

0 Threads

#38 14 years ago

You know what? You are an idiot. Am I missing something, or are you guys requesting more realism in one thread, and in the next one you request worse mgs on Omaha, or that bullshit you posted above. Every damn normal rifle has no trouble at all hitting someone on the move, because the devitation increase is very small if you don't move too fast. Going prone is not only not deadly for FH players, but an ultimate necessity. A sniper shouldn't try to storm with the other guys, but get into some sweet spot and pic mgunners and similar bad guys.

Civius

FH Dev (retired)

50 XP

23rd July 2004

0 Uploads

180 Posts

0 Threads

#39 14 years ago

Hadn't used sniper much lately so I tried it a bit in Stalingrad and Market Garden. I don't know what some of you are trying to do with the sniper rifle but I didn't have any problems hitting targets. But then again, I don't even try to shoot moving targets. IMO the sniper rifles are just fine.

Dee-Jaý

Always 1 point ahead of you

50 XP

17th February 2004

0 Uploads

1,694 Posts

0 Threads

#40 14 years ago

Please Hartmann, stay cool and don´t generalize. You are my favorite Dev (don´t ask why) and I hate to see you be pissed by the community. I see we are rather getting to your head and you find it hard to make sense out of all our requests. You´ve been increadibly active here for the past few months (1443 posts) which wasn´t always the case. I know it may seem that were never happy, but you must realise that a request is issued by a single person, and not an entire community. Polls are really the only way of finding out what the community really wants. And I thought I might just toss in my 2 cents about Sniper rifles: -In my experiance, compared to 0.61 you now need to lie still for slightly longer. While you only needed to prone for 1-2 sec in order to get an accurate hit in 0.61, you now seemingly need to prone for a good 3 sec before you can actualy hit something. -I wouldn´t mind if the Sniperrifles were slighly adjusted in bullet drop, damage and accuracy, as long as these changes are only slight yet noticable.