Please unsuck the sniper rifles... -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#51 14 years ago

Hey Comrade, thats an interesting link, and yes in the street fighting in WWII snipers were restricted by the shear closenes of the fighting, to 1 shot from a given position. but this is just a couple of accounts, the fighting in WWI was just as close in the trenches etc. and snipers were used extensively, first by the Germans who had a decisive edge at the start of the war and then by the British, who by the end of the war had beaten the Germans at their own game. But these situations are nothing like the modern battlefield today. dont get me wrong yes we have combat situations in cities were the fighting is close, but this does not negate the sniper. and as I said above the sniper is a very important part of battlefield tactics. at no point did I read anyware in your link that the modern battlefield has no use for snipers. anyway thats enough, we could talk this over forever, regards Rob. sources for my information. Sniper. by Mark Spicer. Salamander Books 2001, London. Mark Was a army sniper with the British forces for 18 years. A leading instructor at Britians Army School of Sniping. he has instructed US, French, Canadian and numerous other countries in the art of Battlefield sniping. Time To Kill, Soldiers experiance of War in the west. 1939-1945. edited by Paul Addison. Pimlico, London. 1997. SAS, phantoms of the jungle. history of the Australian Special Air Service. By D.M. Horner. Allen & Unwin, Sydney 1991. My father served with No2 Squadron SAS 1967-8 in Vietnam (regular army for 18yrs), and I have relied on his experiances somewhat when forming my opinions on what a sniper is and does. these are just some of the text I have collected over the last 25 years of studying military history. and if you get the chance I can recomend all of these books as a great read. regards Rob.

Comrade0Red

Za *TRA*, Za Kommunizma!

50 XP

25th March 2004

0 Uploads

895 Posts

0 Threads

#52 14 years ago

Excuse me!? Is this WWI? Is this SAS romp through the jungle with modern weapons!? No it is WWII. And it's not just street fighting snipers are only allowed to shoot once, it's all fighting. Shoot once, and cover the scope and that's it. Any more and you're seen. Do you know how little scopes were used in WWI and II because I can tell you, when the enemy officer finally gets the guy that's been picking away at his men for the last few days, he's not happy about it, and not too eager to ship you off to the POW camp, atleast not alive. Don't mix up self taught squad snipers with the professionals. They don't use scopes, just basically act as a backman, or as we call them in paintball (Though those are not snipers) the anchor. Plus the term "Sniper" is very often misused. A sharpshooter and a sniper are two differant things. A sharpshooter moves with the squad and acts as a pointman who's job is usually killing the enemy machine gunner, and a sniper is a defensive only tool. There are none of these "Lone wolf" snipers from movies. Holywood glamorization is all.

terminal-strike

terminal-strike

50 XP

6th May 2004

0 Uploads

2,313 Posts

0 Threads

#53 14 years ago

there are 'lone wolf' snipers, at least in some sense. A sniper and a spotter team go out alone and take up a position to snipe and do recon. This is of course very different from the desginated marksman role, of a squad support but they both are parts of the 'sniper' field.

Skipster

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

29th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,068 Posts

0 Threads

#54 14 years ago
Comrade0RedThere are none of these "Lone wolf" snipers from movies. Holywood glamorization is all.

There was at least one, Carlos Hathcock :bows:

MR.X`

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

30th April 2004

0 Uploads

12,409 Posts

0 Threads

#55 14 years ago

*drool* Have you seen his special edition M-25? Gorgeous!

Skipster

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

29th July 2004

0 Uploads

1,068 Posts

0 Threads

#56 14 years ago

Haven't seen it. I was more impressed with that hopped up Ma Deuce he used to make that (IIRC) 2500-yard kill with in Nam. (Who needs a Barrett? :D)

[WOLF] JChaser

WOLF Member At Large

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

45 Posts

0 Threads

#57 14 years ago

Skip that was in Berut if I recall not Nam.

MR.X`

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

30th April 2004

0 Uploads

12,409 Posts

0 Threads

#58 14 years ago

M25.jpg

The M-25 "White Feather". Designed by none other than the ledgendary Carlos Hathcock.

Comrade0Red

Za *TRA*, Za Kommunizma!

50 XP

25th March 2004

0 Uploads

895 Posts

0 Threads

#59 14 years ago

Veitnam was a hunting war unlike WWII. I'm talking about WWII here. Completely different tactics were used. And by the way, recon teams don't snipe because that just puts the enemy base on alert.

Tas

Serious business brigade

50 XP

4th September 2004

0 Uploads

7,275 Posts

0 Threads

#60 14 years ago

Today i spent some time sniping on numorous maps with different rifles.. and i think the sniper rifle needs to have a little more power at extreme range. I counted having to put 3 no4 rounds into some-one before he finally died, and yes, he was afk. Some more ammo would be apriciated as well, since in some maps ammo is _very_ scarse and hard to come by.. And im not statwhore or a "annoy the planecampers" sort of sniper. I actually guard flags and give arty spots.. So please, more power and more ammo(not to much tho).