Formerly Human

PsP Leutnant for WaW Axis

50 XP

22nd November 2003

0 Uploads

383 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

I can just picture the Lillipanzers riding into battle... only to be taken down by the REAL panzers.

Luscious

I want to be like Revenge

50 XP

2nd August 2003

0 Uploads

324 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

The polish calvary never charged german tanks. The only instance where anything remotely like this happened was when a calvary unit found itself surrounded by a mechanized unit, and tried to fight its way out (and they suceeded). It is a myth of war that has lasted all of these years, perpatrated by the germans in attempt to show how backwards they thought the poles where.

Only one country has intentionally put a calvary attack against grman tanks, and that country was France (seriously).

Formerly Human

PsP Leutnant for WaW Axis

50 XP

22nd November 2003

0 Uploads

383 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Haha, I think I will change all my Polish jokes to French jokes.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Parts of the Polish 18th Uhlans Cavalry Regiment had just destroyed a German Infantry battalion in a charge and were attempting to withdraw when they were counterattacked by German Panzers and suffered heavy casulties.

German propoganda turned that into the now infamous Cavalry charge of men on horseback attacking tanks with sabres.

Never happened and as the media is prone to do they snapped it up and presented it as fact leading to years and years of ridicule and stereotyping.

If you want to know the real story of how the Poles fought read about how they defended their country, and no disrespect to the Candaians who fought there also but how Polish troops blocked the gap at Falaise and dared the Germans to attack, about the Polish paratroopers at Arnhem, about the Poles that fought on the Russian front, and the infamous Warsaw ghetto uprising.

The Germans were scared of the Poles because they knew the Poles would fight to the death and take as many Germans with them as they could.

Polish Cavalry was used as mounted infantry and usually fought dismounted. They had A/T guns and heavy MG's they towed around also.What you never hear is that the Germans also had horse mounted infantry that were used the same way.

The propoganda also would have you believe that the entire German army was mechanized and everyone road in a Sdkfz 250 or 251. During the Polish campaign there were only about 68 Sdkfz 251's in action.

I think the FH mod presenting the Poles in a accurate and positive light will open alot of eyes to 65 years of German propoganda and make people realize just how hard and how well they fought even when greatly outnumbered and in hopeless situations.

Huffardo

Arrrr!

48,770 XP

29th November 2003

0 Uploads

4,632 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago
Anlushac11 The propoganda also would have you believe that the entire German army was mechanized and everyone road in a Sdkfz 250 or 251. During the Polish campaign there were only about 68 Sdkfz 251's in action.

They might have used e.g. Opel Blitz or some other ordinary trucks, as well as carts, and most of course their own feet, to travel during the Polish campaign. I haven't checked this information, but this is what I would guess. Most, if not all, armies used horses in WWII, but horse-mounted cavalry sounds odd, except for the Polish autocracy and the French, did the Germans really use such, and how much? Horses would be nice to have in FH, but realistic horses might be quite hard to make... so is that Polish "tent" tank going to be in 0.6?

Huffardo

Arrrr!

48,770 XP

29th November 2003

0 Uploads

4,632 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

I found that tank I meant, it is the TK-3 tankette with one mg and a weight of 2 tons. Wouldn't it be nice in 0.6 with the 7TP?

Kämpfer

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,394 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

I actually thought it was an Italian newspaper that first told of the 'Polish cavalry charge.' I have actually read a book that did confirm this, but I do not know how reliable it is.

Kämpfer

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,394 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago
HuffardoThey might have used e.g. Opel Blitz or some other ordinary trucks, as well as carts, and most of course their own feet, to travel during the Polish campaign. I haven't checked this information, but this is what I would guess. Most, if not all, armies used horses in WWII, but horse-mounted cavalry sounds odd, except for the Polish autocracy and the French, did the Germans really use such, and how much? Horses would be nice to have in FH, but realistic horses might be quite hard to make... so is that Polish "tent" tank going to be in 0.6?

The Germans had something like 900.000 horses for Barbarossa I believe, but the problem is some authors seem to act like the German Army was not even mobile while other authors act it was completely mobile. Very few say something in between even though they had something like 8-12 fully mobilized divisions.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago
KämpferI actually thought it was an Italian newspaper that first told of the 'Polish cavalry charge.' I have actually read a book that did confirm this, but I do not know how reliable it is.

Could be, but it would seem that their info would be second hand from German sources.

I wonder if the German or Italian press mentioned how the Poles had just wiped out a German infantry unit.