50 XP

24th November 2002

0 Uploads

659 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I was going through the bf42.com forums and came across this thread:

http://www.bfcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38319

It has a quote that was stated in early beta of BF 1942, from a developer(s). (obviously BEFORE it's release).

"The new engine also allows for some nifty effects, particularly the way planes react when hit. During dogfights, you can actually shoot up planes and watch them break up into multiple pieces depending on where you hit them. I was actually able to shoot the landing gear out from a stationary bomber, which then collapsed under its own weight, rendering it useless.

As the team shows off this feature, they're once again beaming with enthusiasm, and loaded with war stories. "One of the coolest moments was having a P-51 ram the B-17," says Dawsari, "you see this huge explosion in the air, and then you see the fuselage and the tail fall apart, and the P-51 is just cartwheeling as it goes off ... it was an incredible moment."

THIS is exactly the kind of thing i wanted for vehicles, when I first heard of BF being made, last year. This kind of damage is the kind of model damaging seen in Combat Flight Simulators. It's much better then giving a vehicle a "health" bar. That's just lazy and unrealistic.

Could this code have been left in the BF engine, by any chance? Or could it be coded in?

StukaAce#1

Former [11PzG]

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

511 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

lol the gear sht out and the weight collapses!! that is so funny...

i mean ea is so damn lazy that will be added in like... 2008..

but it would be AWESOME for realistic damage!!!

(sorry to use so many ! marks)

judge reinhold

BOY I SURE POST ALOT

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,112 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

If it was in there, im sure it would have been found by DC or the other mods out there by now.

Coolguy

神 & FH Godfather

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,799 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago
It's much better then giving a vehicle a "health" bar. That's just lazy and unrealistic.

General Taskeen

FH Betatester

50 XP

24th November 2002

0 Uploads

659 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago
Originally posted by Coolguy ...

Well, it is... it's too common in all FPSes.

MG42Maniac

A man of dubious moral fibre

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

3,932 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

stfumime.jpg

lazy and unrealistic LMAO

General Taskeen

FH Betatester

50 XP

24th November 2002

0 Uploads

659 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

What did I ever say to you MG42Maniac. I give you a thumbs up for the immaturity. Why are certain people, so prone to flaming? Jesus H Christ.

The point of this topic is to discuss the QOUTE, that I posted.

"Lazy and Unrealistic" - That is my opinion and that doesn't give you the right to badger me about it.

Two people in this thread actually had something to say about the main point of this topic. Therefore, I am going to edit out my OPINION, because I don't want to deal with this stupid flame crap.

tehgecko

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd August 2003

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

You assless smacktard, did you even read the post?

special.jpg

I bet World War II pilots flying in their Mustangs, B-17s, JU88's, and what-have-you all had magical health meters (sarcasm).

It is unrealistic to have health meters, all it does is increase the arcade like gameplay. You should have to see what kind of condition your plane is in and how it reacts to judge whether it is fit to fly or not. But what can you expect?

General Taskeen

FH Betatester

50 XP

24th November 2002

0 Uploads

659 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

After all, this is a suggestion forum for FH, and this is a suggestion topic.

Model Damaging, if it worked, or if it could even be coded in (which I still have not recieved a straight answer about - from an experienced coder on this team), would definitely be pretty cool for both infantry and vehicles.

Although, lag must be considered, so model damaging for infantry might be out of the question...

P.S. Interesting post 'teh gecko,' for giving some thought to this subject.

Counterattack

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

2nd August 2003

0 Uploads

2 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

Without the bar it would be very difficult to tell how much health you have, though. Maybe if they added it so you feel pain and feel like dying it would be mroe realistic. Otherwise they could always jsut make the screen get darker and eventually fade to black. I suppose that would be more realistic than a health bar. I still prefer the pain one, though. :naughty: