sempai(be)

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

281 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

Why not use the "overheatbar" featured for several MG as a means of simulating vehicule breakdown and fuelshortage .

In late war maps German Pzr could have the bar , simulating shortages of fuel. KT could have it , simulating mechanical breakdown.

Wouldn't it also be possible to simulate the stamina for infantry ? If you "overheat" you fall back to walking speed.

tusse

I want to be like Revenge

50 XP

14th March 2004

0 Uploads

363 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

I think it would be great to simulate both mechanical problems, fuel- and ammonition shortages as it was significant factors in halting a lot of small german offensives in the late part of the war.

BlitzPig_Machine

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

182 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Naa...the KT would just be a paper-weight then. :D

sempai(be)

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

281 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago
BlitzPig_MachineNaa...the KT would just be a paper-weight then. :D

Nope , you would just have to plan your route carefully , no more charging around the map. Armourvalue and such would not be affected . As long as you don't overheat you could drive.

If overheated ,cooling down would then simulate , repairs/refueling being done.

Mind that in the latter stages of the war much equipment was abandoned due to fuelshortage.

marquis1

a.k.a. MaRQuiS>[DK]

50 XP

1st February 2004

0 Uploads

139 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Uhm, it is definetly worth a lot of through-thinking! Personally I both like it and dislike. Cuz on one side, the Germans were very short on the fuel in the late war, as you all may know thats why Hitler wanted so desperat to get through Stalingrad and on the Oilfields in Kaukasus, and it would be so nice to have a feature like that. I also like the mechanical-breakdown thing, its definetly the one I like most of your suggestions! But then on the other side, alot of newcomers will probably quit the mod due to the fact that the germans would get slayed quick because of the KT not having enough fuel in fx. Berlin-Outskirts (that one with the KT and a lot of artillery:) ). The late battles were probably like that, but the soldiers could'nt whine, they just had to fight! - But as I already said, a very nice suggestion! :D

tusse

I want to be like Revenge

50 XP

14th March 2004

0 Uploads

363 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

Fuel would only be used when driving. And the King tiger on berlin outskirt are mostly used as a pillbox anyway! The spawnpoints could be used for refueling. You should only be able to fuel and grab ammo when they were on the hands of your own team. Perhaps when conquered by a team they start gathering fuel and ammo points, which are lost when the flag goes gray! They could gather slower for the axis than for the allied or something like it. For the 'mechanical problem' thing to work, you should be able to grade the throttle on vehicles. Like the old Panzer Commander, where overheating during a certain amount of time led to breakdown caused by overheating(unfixable). Since realism is a goal for FH, some of these issues should be involved.

VioLAtoR[xL]

Retteketet met je Bajonet

50 XP

29th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,075 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

Hmmm, naah. Tanks without fuel weren't sent to the Battlefield, and were playing Battlefield after all.

I would like mobility hits on the tracks- but that's a whole different suggestion!

Dee-Jaý

Always 1 point ahead of you

50 XP

17th February 2004

0 Uploads

1,694 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

This ain´t no simulation. This is still an arcade game, even if FH does try to bring more realism. Fuel and breakdowns would just be sources of frustration and be more anoying than anything else...

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

Mines immobilazing tanks would be a good idea,

sempai(be)

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

281 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago
Dee-JaýThis ain´t no simulation. This is still an arcade game, even if FH does try to bring more realism. Fuel and breakdowns would just be sources of frustration and be more anoying than anything else...

for all not getting the message, read the first post !

Does your MG breakdown , no . Does your stationary MG run out of ammo , no .

Only stating the "overheat" bar could be used to simulate certain stuff which has been suggested by other forummembers.

Your fuel would not run out , your little tankie would not breakdown. You would only be limited in a certain way to barge around the map ,in for example a King Tiger. Which would resemble the RL situation as faced by the Germans. The KT was not an "uber" tank , it was prone to breakdown and they were lacking in fuel in the latter stages of the war.

You could code it to have a 5 km (gamewise) radius before your heatbar would turn red and immobilize you. So moving in 2.5 km runs followed by cooldown would not hamper your mobility in such a way as to be a source of frustration.