Raven26

Dread pwns me!

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

465 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago

You all heard the Katyusha sound from Merciless Creations right? So please add it in the next release. The sound now for the Kat and the nebelwerfer sound weak as a newborn baby kitten. I tried to add the sound from merciless to Forgotten Hope of course it didnt work. If there was a way to add it now how do i go about adding this wicked sound?

the_move

Frisch, Fromm, Fröhlich, Frei!

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

656 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago
Raven26You all heard the Katyusha sound from Merciless Creations right? So please add it in the next release. The sound now for the Kat and the nebelwerfer sound weak as a newborn baby kitten. I tried to add the sound from merciless to Forgotten Hope of course it didnt work. If there was a way to add it now how do i go about adding this wicked sound?

BTW, did the Katyusha have only 12 rockets?

I thought it were like 30.

Raven26

Dread pwns me!

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

465 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago
the_moveBTW, did the Katyusha have only 12 rockets? I thought it were like 30.

Found this on google. The Katyusha rocket is not just one type of rocket, but could be seen as a whole range of different artillery rockets. The Katyusha rocket launcher played an important part during the local wars and conflicts in the Middle East, the rockets were used by almost al the parties in Lebanon.

The Katyusha (Little Katie) rocket is from Soviet origin. Already halfway thirties the NII-3(currently the Federal Missile Construction Center) started with the development of combat rockets designed for the Soviet Air Force; the 82mm ROS-82 fragmentation rocket for fighters and the 132mm ROS-132 for bombers.

In this time there was a technical exchange program between the Soviets and the Nazis. After the Germans started with the development of the six-barreled Nebelwerfer rocket mortar in 1936, this became known soon by the Soviet authorities, which ordered the NII-3 to develop their own artillery rockets. The NII-3 developed two major versions of Multiple Rocket Launchers (MRLS) the 82mm BM-8 and the 132mm BM-13. Both types were developed to carry chemical and incendiary warheads, and were mounted on the ZIS 5 and ZIS 6 trucks.

The first large scale testing of the rocket launchers took place at the end of 1938, 233 rounds of various types were used. A salvo of rockets could completely straddle a target at 5.500 meters. But the Artillery was not found of the Katyusha, because it took up to 50 minutes to load and fire 24 rounds. A conventional howitzer could fire 95 to 150 rounds at the same time. The Katyusha rocket also known by the nickname Stalin Organ was finally adopted in May 1941, just before the Nazis invaded Russia. In July that same year the rocket launchers were brought into action for the first time against the German aggressor in the version as long range flamethrowers at the Orsha railway stations. The Katyusha rockets were constantly modernized and new versions were mounted on al kind of trucks, T-40 and T-60 tanks and even on tractors.

After the Great Patriotic War the Soviets developed new versions of MRLS, without any doubt the most successful version was the 122mm BM-21 Grad adopted by the Soviet Army in 1963. The BM-21 was used by more than 50 countries. The successful use of the Grad system in local conflicts for four decades of various intensities led many countries to develop similar systems. Countries like Iran, North Korea and China but also South Africa and even Israel developed their own versions of this rocket. Israel developed its own version after they captured several Katyusha rockets from the Arab Army’s during the Sixth Day War (1967). The Israeli Military Industries developed the Light Artillery Rocket(LAR) which has a range of 45 kilometres. At the end of the nineties a new version of the Grad entered service; the rocket could be loaded with all kind of warheads, cluster, fragmentation, antipersonnel mines, and antitank mines. The cluster of metal launch tubes is replaced by two dispensable launching transporting containers (LTC). The LTC contains 20 rockets and two containers are mounted on the Launch vehicles. Launch vehicles are reloaded within 5 minutes, by replacing containers with aid of load handling facilities.

Other types of MRLS are the 220mm Uragan (10-35 kilometres) and the 300mm Smerch (20-75kilometres). kat.jpg

In Lebanon the several versions of the Katyusha rockets were used by the Palestinian militias during their attacks on Israel and during the Lebanon War the rockets were used by almost al parties: the PLO, Lebanese Forces, the Lebanese Army, PSP and after 1984 by the Amal Movement as well. But of course the most well known militia which used the Katyusha rocket is without any doubt the Hizbullah. At this moment the Hizbullah has several thousands Katyusha rockets and Fahr-3(the Iranian Katyusha model, with a range of 45 kilometres), along the border with Israel ready to fire if Israel launched a large scale offensive against Lebanon.