el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

FH refuses to run at any decent framerate on my PC (Athlon 2000xp, 512mb RAM, GF4ti4200 64mb, No AA, Vsync to 1 frame ahead, O'clocked to 620/580) so I've resorted to turning down the texture quality... but when I do, the tank sights turn to big chunky-black lines that obscure the target and make it impossible to hit. So normally I'd just NOT play in tanks, but at this point I haven't even BOTHERED to go for a ride in a KT because I'd be toast in no time.

So here's my suggestion in two parts;

The next release has a bunch of low-res textures for everything EXCEPT the tank sights, which stay nice and high res. :D

Or

The devs release a low-res texture pack for everything EXCEPT the tank sights, which stay nice and high res. :D

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

Just a suggestion, but if you're running at 44KHz for sound, try dropping it to 22 and putting your texture detail back up to 100%. I did that and it made HUGE difference in framerates. I mean HUGE. It didn't make much difference in sound quality, either, that I could notice, and I'd be more likely to notice that. Makes the tank sights much more useful and predictable.

MeanMrMustard

Such a mean old man

50 XP

15th September 2003

0 Uploads

178 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Only problem with that for me is that 22 KHZ sounds makes everything sound like its on helium, chipmunk voices or whatever, basically unplayable. Havent tried 11KHZ though, is there a noticable drop in quality for that setting? Harry

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago
MeanMrMustardOnly problem with that for me is that 22 KHZ sounds makes everything sound like its on helium, chipmunk voices or whatever, basically unplayable. Havent tried 11KHZ though, is there a noticable drop in quality for that setting? Harry

My sound settings are already at 22khz.

And I think the 'chipmunky' effect that you're getting is some sort of problem with your soundcard, Harry. I'm not 100% sure what it is, but I have clanmates who've suffered the same thing.

11khz is awful to play with :(

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Harry, the chipmunky effect MIGHT have something to do with hardware accelleration settings for your sound in Windows. Or possibly in the game itself. At any rate, try messing with that stuff. And yes, 11Khz sounds horrible, but from 22 to 44 I didn't notice any difference and I'm pretty attuned to that sort of thing. I DID notice a huge performance boost.

It's possible that the sounds were simply recorded originally at 22, so switching to 44 wouldn't actually do anything.

MeanMrMustard

Such a mean old man

50 XP

15th September 2003

0 Uploads

178 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, yeh thought it was probably soundcard issues, will have a mess around with it. Harry

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

I'd rather have all my details set to low then reduce sound quality from 44Khz. You can hear all the minor sounds, even the reloading "clicks". When I run around the corner, i'd rather hear the enemy shuffling there and kill him, then see whether he has a square or circular ring on his belt and die because i did not know he was there. However, reducing the sound quality does give a huge performance boost

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

Going from 22 to 44 doesn't make a difference. I can still hear which direction the planes are coming from from far off, I can still hear (occasionally) the enemy shuffling around near me, etc. I'm pretty much convinced that the sounds were originally recorded at 22KHz, which would mean that you wouldn't see any real improvement by bumping sounds up to 44. It might improve SLIGHTLY, but I sure didn't notice it and, like I've said, i'm pretty attuned to sound quality.

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

I prefer 22. some sounds are better then 44.

mg42 pops to mind. it sounds WAY better in 22.