el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#11 17 years ago

Yeah, I understand all your issues with FF, but it seems strange that BF1942 is one of the only FPS that I've played that has a minimap; most others get by fine. And in games like America's Army - you don't even get a chance to respawn until the next round (admittedly, shorter rounds - 10 minutes or so).

VioLAtoR[xL]

Retteketet met je Bajonet

50 XP

29th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,075 Posts

0 Threads

#12 17 years ago

America's army was the shittiest game ever, and we have bigass maps in BF.

This is really a terrible suggestion, not only for FF, half the time I wouldn't know who owns wich flag. The other half I'll spend trying to find the enemy.

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#13 17 years ago

AA was kinda nice game i used to play it and it was free ...

VioLAtoR[xL]

50 XP

29th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,075 Posts

0 Threads

#14 17 years ago

You actually liked america's army? With the mandatory training course from hell, levels that did not allow any flanking and the Sniper being restricted to ppl with Uber scores?

Anyway to get back on topic, I'd just like to repeat what I already said, minimaps are not that unrealistic since in reality there were maps, radio's, scout's and most soldiers knew where they were in relation to the enemy.

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#15 17 years ago

yea i used to play it was realistic your gun jammed sometimes i liked it havnt played it in 1 and a half year thought ...

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#16 17 years ago

'VioLAtoR[xL']America's army was the shittiest game ever, and we have bigass maps in BF.

This is really a terrible suggestion, not only for FF, half the time I wouldn't know who owns wich flag. The other half I'll spend trying to find the enemy.

Which promotes teamplay... sheesh. You're turning everything into a reason NOT to do something, without looking at the possibilities of taking a risk like removing the minimap.

I'm comfortable without my minimap because the style that I play BF in is tactical, relying on communication with my temmates and recon. I'm confident that I can recognise enemy targets at a distance and engage them without having to see if they're 'a blue arrow' on my map.

The only thing I use my minimap for is to see where enemies bail from their planes by finding the grey moving plane back. :/

And I apologise for the America's Army reference: I'm trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

VioLAtoR[xL]

50 XP

29th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,075 Posts

0 Threads

#17 17 years ago

I just do not see your problem with the minimap, it reduces tk and makes for better coordination, wich improves teamplay.

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

55 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#18 17 years ago
el banditoI'm comfortable without my minimap because the style that I play BF in is tactical, relying on communication with my temmates and recon. I'm confident that I can recognise enemy targets at a distance and engage them without having to see if they're 'a blue arrow' on my map.

But for every one person who does play it that way, how many are there who don't? That's a big stretch, assuming that everyone will adapt their playstyle to fit the change; I think that it's much more likely that those who don't go for tactics and serious (as opposed to nominal) teamwork will either quit outright, or revert to a Q3A style of play.

el bandito

Captain of jelly

50 XP

28th October 2003

0 Uploads

377 Posts

0 Threads

#19 17 years ago

Yeah, I can see ALL the reasons to have a minimap (prevents TK, enables to see who controls a point, enables you to see where the others on your team are), and I know how others rely on it.

My point is; WWII was a chaotic time. There were soldiers who had NO idea where they were, much less the enemy or their allies. Not EVERYONE had a radio (most had a map, and I haven't said take the map away), and 'teamkills' or friendly fire did happen periodically (although not so many soldiers comandeered enemy vehicles and then expected NOT to be shot at). Having the minimap is a crutch for us who are playing a 'realism' mod, when in reality it's not realistic. We're not (mostly not) imbeciles who go 'waaah, I can't tell if they're red or blue' if the nametags are off. We've also played the game enough to be able to recognise helmet silhouettes, uniform colors, tanks...

VioLAtoR[xL]

50 XP

29th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,075 Posts

0 Threads

#20 17 years ago

Sure it was chaotic, but your commanding officer pointed out to you were to shoot at or go to.