The Village Idiot from Hell

50 XP

30th December 2003

0 Uploads

718 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

sturmi3d-1.jpg

As you might see, it's a StuG III G! Not a German one, though, but one modified "the Finnish style". Sort of. That's a crude, very unfinished 3D model (that I should totally redo and then finish sometime) that just shows two out of three of the main modifications in brown - the wooden logs protecting the sides, and the stowage box in the back. One more main difference would be the concrete armor to the front that the Finnish army also added - though so did some of the Germans.

Ah heck, this will give you a much better idea of what it's about (although pic quality isn't great, and colors are way off - I need a working scanner): sturmi1.jpg

Would be quite easy to modify from the existing StuG IIIG/40 model. Read about previous topic about Finnish troops, so maybe one might be available at some point? And no, don't argue about if Finland should be in or not, please. Just fantasizing about driving a Finnish-ized (=cooler) version of one of my very favorite tanks (well, it's an assault gun, but anyway) in my favorite BF1942 mod :D

At least adding Finnish armor wouldn't be hard for the later years - a normal StuG III G exist, modification is easy (re-texturing being the hardest part), and also T-34s would just need to be re-textured as well. Infantry is the harder part. Well, then could do some PROPER FPS mayhem with Finnish forces, like I've wanted for a long time :)

If only I could do mods myself... :( ( though why redo so much of what is so great in FH, when you could just add stuff to it :rolleyes: )

Well, at least I have a good German StuG to wreak havoc with. Much better than the foul attempt in Road to Rome - man was I disappointed when I saw it (the StuG in it) just today! With a bit of effort I could do a much better model that the one in RtR :rolleyes:

Formerly Human

PsP Leutnant for WaW Axis

50 XP

22nd November 2003

0 Uploads

383 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

See, this is why we need more Finnish maps...

judge reinhold

BOY I SURE POST ALOT

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,112 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

i looked at subbos code for it a while back, and theres already stuff about logs and stuff on the sides, so i guess he's already ahead of you. plus hes doing alot of textures for the various environments, finnland being one of them

SilenT AssassiN

A South African Bohemian

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,951 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Whats The 2nd Pic A Model ?

LeopardSeal

Back in the "Good old days"...

50 XP

20th December 2003

0 Uploads

334 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago
silent assassinWhats The 2nd Pic A Model ?

Are you going to spam every thread?

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

612 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

I'd like to see Finnish voices also... those Finns seem to speak flawless german in FH ;)

striderx2048

DiCE/EA: Ambiguously Gay Duo

50 XP

16th May 2002

0 Uploads

2,073 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

the only thing finnish about the fins in FH right now, the flag, and even then its only the one on the pole, not the mini map. :mad:

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

If Coolguy has his way there will be that same model in FH.

tvih

The Village Idiot from Hell

50 XP

30th December 2003

0 Uploads

718 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

Judge Reinhold, yup, thought he's probably on it already. After all, the "Sturmi", as the Finnish army called it, was the main unit of the Finnish armored forces during the big battles of '44. Finland had a total of 59 of them, though some were destroyed or forced to be put out of use (not enough spare parts) before the last ones arrived. A small related statistic - the Finnish StuGs killed 82 Soviet tanks, while losing only 8 StuGs. The one depicted in the second image scored 5 kills, while the highest kill count for a Finnish armored vehicle was 11 - that was also a StuG.

I don't have a similar kill figure for Finnish T-34s. Too bad, I'm kinda curious to know. Though I think no T-34s were lost, at least.

And yes, silent assassin, it's a 1:35 plastic model, made by one of Finland's top modelers, Jarmo Lindgren. I need to start working on my own plastic model at some point!