Lt. Havoc

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

131 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago

while trying to learn the weak points on all the tanks. I did this, started my own multiplayer game and just shot stuff at different points making a mental note. Find and position a Tiger to shoot at and shoot it in the backside (I love to hit it from the backside) with another tank. I shot my test subject tiger 13 times in ass with a T-34 before I even got it smoking. Is it me or is that a lot? It takes only 3 shots below the track line and to the rear not bad but a target area pretty tight to hit in the heat of battle. Shouldn't the Tiger have an Achilles heal somewhere? I always thought the armor in the rear was the thinnest and that the armor in the front and sides were thick to protect the crew. Also set some mines down and drive over top of them with a tiger (FF must me on first). I put my mines in line but spaced far enough apart not to hit 2 at once. I drove it over the first 2 and died on the 3rd. I can't wait for the King Tiger.

Quick someone educate me on the Tiger Aces of WW2. Talk about Michael Whitman and how his Tiger was hit a million times, disabled and finally destroyed.

Cragger

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

4th October 2003

0 Uploads

54 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago

From what I've seen the rear armor on the Tiger was the same as the sides. Its weak spot is like most tanks the top deck and underside. Only 25mm there so a shot from a hill to or into its underside while mounting a hill should be quickly fatal.

As for mines, most mines tend just to knock the tracks off a MBT or Medium/Heavy Tank. Someday we will see the ability to diable armor and vehciles. OFP had this and it was cool, you could have a track disabled and only could turn in a circle or have your barrel destroyed or turret disabled.

FlyingCorpse

What IS my Title???

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

28 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago

lol, stuck in the middle of the city! btw, was it possible to repair, or put a set of new tracks on? It looks like this is getting VERY complex...

[RnL]Sarge

Resistance aNd Liberation

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

46 Posts

0 Threads

#4 16 years ago

Like Lt. Havoc i have always thought the armour was light in the rear for the simple fact that the most protection you want is in the front and side. For the simple reason that you would never think about running away from the enemy with your rear exposed. (hence why you always see tanks backing up when disengaging from a fight). Not to mention the other weak spot was of course the top of the tank which is why bombing was a good way to get rid of those King Tigers in the Battle of the Bulge when the skies had cleared. But i guess you're right Cragger. Heres something i found:

Hull front: 100mm (3.94in) @ 24dgrees Hull side (upper): 80mm (3.15in) @ 0 degrees Hull side (lower): 60mm (2.36in) @ 0 degrees Hull rear: 80mm (3.15in) @ 8 degrees Hull top: 25mm (0.98in) @ 90 degrees Hull bottom: 25mm (0.98in) @ 90 degrees

Turret front: 100mm (3.94in) @ 8 degrees Gun mantlet: 120mm (4.72in) @ 0 degrees Turret sides: 80mm (3.15in) @ 0 degrees Turret rear: 80mm (3.15in) @ 0 degrees Turret top: 25mm (0.98in later 40-45mm (1.57-1.77in) @ 81-90 degrees

[RnL]Sarge

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

46 Posts

0 Threads

#5 16 years ago

Heres good site for German armour statistics(and other countries armour statistics):

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/html/germany/pzkpfw_vie.html

-rincewind-

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

40 Posts

0 Threads

#6 16 years ago
Lt. Havocwhile trying to learn the weak points on all the tanks. I did this, started my own multiplayer game and just shot stuff at different points making a mental note. Find and position a Tiger to shoot at and shoot it in the backside (I love to hit it from the backside) with another tank. I shot my test subject tiger 13 times in ass with a T-34 before I even got it smoking. Is it me or is that a lot? It takes only 3 shots below the track line and to the rear not bad but a target area pretty tight to hit in the heat of battle. Shouldn't the Tiger have an Achilles heal somewhere? I always thought the armor in the rear was the thinnest and that the armor in the front and sides were thick to protect the crew. Also set some mines down and drive over top of them with a tiger (FF must me on first). I put my mines in line but spaced far enough apart not to hit 2 at once. I drove it over the first 2 and died on the 3rd. I can't wait for the King Tiger. Quick someone educate me on the Tiger Aces of WW2. Talk about Michael Whitman and how his Tiger was hit a million times, disabled and finally destroyed.

Michael Wittmann, 2.SS-Panzerabteilung 501, 1. SS-Panzerdivision "Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler". On 13th of june 1944 he faced the 22nd brittish tankbrigade on the road from Villers Bocage to Caen. He opened fire from about 80meters distance and desroyed the tanks at the sharp end ot the tank platoon. While the brittish tanks couldn't move forward, because of the tankwrecks, Wittman drove along the road next to the britts and fired one cromwell after the other. He got hit several times on the turret and front armor without taking heavy damage. Four other Tigers were involved in that massacre. 236 men died and 27 british tanks were destroyed. No cassualties for the Nazis. Wittmann and his tank crew died on 8th of August 1944, 1Km north of Cintheaux. Supposably his tank was destroyed by a Sherman Firefly of the 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry that day.

[RnL]Sarge

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

46 Posts

0 Threads

#7 16 years ago

Another Ace would be Albert Kerscher. Who scored 100 tank kills while holding off the Russian Army during the evacuation of the wounded from the Baltic ports on 15th April 1945.

-rincewind-

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

40 Posts

0 Threads

#8 16 years ago

Yes, he was in the Schwere Panzerabteilung 502 and scored his 100th kill there. A Panther Ace was Oberfeldwebel Herbert Elsner (Panther Ausf.D) of the 23rd Panzerdivision. Near Kriwoi Rog on 14th or 15th of November 1943 he destroyed a large ammount of russian T34's and tankbusters, even though his tank was hit in the chain and the turret. I don't know how many tanks he destroyed that day, but it were numerous. Another Panther ace was SS Oberscharf├╝hrer Ernst Barkmann. http://www.angelfire.com/goth/bobtank/barkmann.html http://www.sonnet.com/usr/aaron/Bark.html

King_Parliament

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

25 Posts

0 Threads

#9 16 years ago

Say, a question to the die-hard grognards from a budding one concerning a late-war tiger eater, the KV-1. I believe it had strong 360 degree armor protection and an equally large gun (by late war), and was faster. Is this true? Will this bad mutha be in a later version of FH? Does the same armor charactersitics apply to the T-34? I really need to look up my Russian tanks some more. Or play more Combat Mission:BTB. Or both.

In regards to the Whitman comment: Damn right he was a good tanker. Took a while for the British to catch him. Allegedly low on ammo and surrounded, they pummelled his Tiger to scrap. How come the Germans had all the good tankers? Oh yeah, duh, their tanks weren't nicknamed "Rolling Coffins". Makes for a great game in Combat Mission:BO though!

-rincewind-

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

40 Posts

0 Threads

#10 16 years ago
King_ParliamentSay, a question to the die-hard grognards from a budding one concerning a late-war tiger eater, the KV-1. I believe it had strong 360 degree armor protection and an equally large gun (by late war), and was faster. Is this true? Will this bad mutha be in a later version of FH? Does the same armor charactersitics apply to the T-34? I really need to look up my Russian tanks some more. Or play more Combat Mission:BTB. Or both. In regards to the Whitman comment: Damn right he was a good tanker. Took a while for the British to catch him. Allegedly low on ammo and surrounded, they pummelled his Tiger to scrap. How come the Germans had all the good tankers? Oh yeah, duh, their tanks weren't nicknamed "Rolling Coffins". Makes for a great game in Combat Mission:BO though!

The KV-1 was a 360 degree well armored tank, but was armed with only a 76.2mm gun, like the T34. Later the KV-1 was rearmed with the 85mm gun (KV-85 or IS-1). In the early 1944's russia introduced the IS-2 with 122mm gun. The development of the IS-2 depended on the KV-85. The IS-2 could face the Tiger in a one on one battle. http://www.battlefield.ru/kv1.html Does anybody know abaout an allied tank ace? I've searched the web, but couldn't find one.