explamster

Flying Ace

50 XP

11th November 2003

0 Uploads

138 Posts

0 Threads

#31 17 years ago

I can't think of a map that could be large enough to accomodate the range of the gun, yet still remain unlaggy. Perhaps a smaller cannon will have to do.

explamster

Flying Ace

50 XP

11th November 2003

0 Uploads

138 Posts

0 Threads

#32 17 years ago

Unless the map featuring the gun is the same size as the Atlantic map, but on land, the awsome power is going to be stifled somewhat. If the map that size has too many things, it's going to get laggy. This is an unfortunate fun vs. practicality conflict.

Andromedos

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th December 2003

0 Uploads

10 Posts

0 Threads

#33 17 years ago

Well, trains in a Battlefield Mod seem to be possible. Look at this:

http://www.battlefield1918.de/images/?id=389 http://www.battlefield1918.de/forum/?do=showthread&id=538 If the Battlefield 1918 team can do this, I'm quite sure the FH team can as well. Let's put some faith into the guys.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#34 17 years ago

Smaller railroad guns are much more usefull in bf1942 engine games anyway...because the size of the maps.

getpicture.php?id=576136

getpicture.php?id=576139

DHN_STONE1

I want to be like the Admins

50 XP

17th November 2003

0 Uploads

225 Posts

0 Threads

#35 17 years ago

Tham those are good pics, were did you get them from. I might use them for my next sig. :nodding:

explamster

Flying Ace

50 XP

11th November 2003

0 Uploads

138 Posts

0 Threads

#36 17 years ago

Maybe even a cannon the size of a bazooka or a destroyer turret gun would do. Any attempt to mount a battleship size cannon on a railcar would not end too well, or so I think.

Valdez

Dread pwns me!

50 XP

22nd November 2003

0 Uploads

456 Posts

0 Threads

#37 17 years ago

Those are some good pictures, now those guns would be great for the mod. Maybe a german trian station as the main base and those are the artillery guns for the map, just wonder what battle that would fit in.

Luscious

I want to be like Revenge

50 XP

1st August 2003

0 Uploads

324 Posts

0 Threads

#38 17 years ago

er...railguns would be pretty useless in FH, or and BF1942 mod. Their intended range of fire would send there shells off the friggin map. I'd be happier seeing more SP's & stationary howitzers.

Inu Reaperman

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

19th December 2003

0 Uploads

3 Posts

0 Threads

#39 17 years ago

Neko Reaperman had only 5 days of his ban to serve before he would have been back amongst us. Instead he created a second account in an attempt to circumvent that ban.

Neko Reaperman and Inu Reaperman have been banned permanently.

~AzH~

StrangerThanFiction

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,110 Posts

0 Threads

#40 17 years ago

Giant railguns are kinda cool, but somewhat impractical for the scale of FH. Some those monsters took longer to reload than many FH games last (Gustav/Dora had a peak ROF of 3 rounds an hour, but rarely fired more than 10 in a single day). But, there are still a lot of cool scenarios that could be built around armored trains as the following excerpt (about a Soviet armored train) - illustrates:

In the morning mist of October 30th, the armored trains took their positions. By 11:00, when the mist lifted, â„–717 was attacked by 18 planes. Constantly maneuvering, the armored train was able to shot down two of its attackers, when German tanks appeared nearby. During this very long day, the armored train was able to repulse three German tank attacks. Two of its armored wagons were destroyed, the rail line around it was heavily damaged, so it was not able to move. With nightfall, when all its guns were destroyed or damaged, the armored train commander I.I.Fandej ordered the remnants of crew to retreat to Alagir. During 7 hours of battle the armored train managed to destroy or damage 22 German tanks and armored carriers.

From http://www.tdg.nu/resources/articles/historical%20articles/Armoured%20Trains/Soviet%20Armored%20Trains.htm --about 2/5ths of the way down the page.