I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

18th August 2003

0 Uploads

7 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

hi there, this is my first post here

i've started to try battlecraft, but i need help on some concepts...

first, i dont really understand the difference between the material mapper and the surface map painter. Im a 3d modeller mainly in 3dsmax and maya, but im a little confused as to how some things are named here... arent both tools to "paint" the terrain? if so, why 2 tools? or one of them is to paint and the other is just for telling the engine what sound to play when the player steps on this point, or something like this?

also, i've opened the map invasion_of_the_philipines in battlecraft to see how it looks, as i want to do my first testmap trying to make something similar (the same map size, the same textures, etc). is there any way to know exactly what textures is using it, what map size is it, and things like those?

please help, im really confused..... thanks

cactuskooler

50 XP

14th July 2003

0 Uploads

242 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

The material mapper tool is two tools in one. It puts down the texture that you see in the game and puts the right material for that texture so when your walking over the ground it knows which sound to use, like you said. The surface map painter tool is used to add details and marks to your texture since you don't have a lot of detail control with the battlecraft textures. I don't think the surface painter changes the material.

The invasion of the philipines map is a meduim map which is a worldsize of 2048 and the average map size. You can't use the same textures as that map becasue when dice made it they textured it with photoshop or something else simaller not battlecraft.

papillon

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

18th August 2003

0 Uploads

7 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

ok, thanks a lot