Quick question: new mod/mod folder help -1 reply

Please wait...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#1 14 years ago

Hey guys, first post here. I have a simple question for ya... Basically, a while ago I thought I would do some tinkering with some vehicles/weapons. Nothing big, but I always created a backup of the original objects.rfa and messed with my own...never using a mod folder. Now that I realize a mod folder is the best way to go...I'm having trouble. Basically, nothings happening. After an attempt to make my own Mod folder (with the proper init.con file), I've still gotten zero results. Is there anything obvious that I'm missing?!? Oddly enough I've had the same results using the mod dev. toolkit as well. Here's my init.con file: game.setCustomGameName mac10 game.addmodPath Mods/mac10/ game.addModPath Mods/BF1942/ game.customGameFlushArchives 0 game.setCustomGameVersion 1.0 game.setCustomGameUrl http://www.myMod.com game.setCustomGameInfo "My Mod's Description" All I've really put in it (my mod) is my own objects file. I've tried it two ways: Once with the files in it only that I've updated, and the entire original file with my updates. Any ideas? Am I forgetting something?? Thanks for any help!

greenbudsmapediting

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

119 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

this is what it should look like for desert combat

game.setCustomGameName mod_name_here game.addModPath Mods/mod_name_here/ game.addModPath Mods/DesertCombat/ game.addModPath Mods/BF1942/ game.customGameFlushArchives 0 game.setCustomGameVersion 0.3 game.setCustomGameUrl "your site here"

Game.setMenuMusicFilename "music/slaughter4.bik" Game.setLoadMusicFilename "music/vehicle4.bik" Game.setWinMusicFilename "music/vehicle3.bik" Game.setLoseMusicFilename "music/menu.bik" Game.setCampaignLoseMusicFilename "music/theme2.bik" Game.setDebriefingMusicFilename "music/briefing.bik"

and for regular BF1942

game.setCustomGameName mod_name_here game.addModPath Mods/mod_name_here/ game.addModPath Mods/BF1942/ game.customGameFlushArchives 0 game.setCustomGameVersion 0.3 game.setCustomGameUrl "your site here"

Game.setMenuMusicFilename "music/slaughter4.bik" Game.setLoadMusicFilename "music/vehicle4.bik" Game.setWinMusicFilename "music/vehicle3.bik" Game.setLoseMusicFilename "music/menu.bik" Game.setCampaignLoseMusicFilename "music/theme2.bik" Game.setDebriefingMusicFilename "music/briefing.bik"

that should get it to work for you..and when doing changes to anything maps or vehicle changes is to test whatever you are doing very often....much easier to find what you did that is causing the crash...hope all this helps you....

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#3 14 years ago

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Alright...after some tinkering and following examples from other mods...I found that not only did they have their own init.con file in the mods folder, but changed the init.con file in the bf142 mod folder. Does that sound right to you?

Either way, I'm definitely happy now. My objects file size went down from 5meg to 50k, so its easy to distribute to friends if I want.

Thanks for the help, if I'm still doing something wrong, feel free to point it out...lol

greenbudsmapediting

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

119 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

ok...lets see if we can get your mod working one thing also is you will have to change the mapID line in the maps you add to your mod also....or they won't work

don't change the init.con in the bf1942 folder...

this is what you should have in your mods folder

archives folder music folder textures folder-(if you change the textures) movies folder-for adding your own background movie or picture

in the archives folder you should have objects.rfa menu.rfa (if you change the menu look) bf1942 folder

in the bf1942 folder you should have game.rfa

let me know what happens after this and we'll keep tryin...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#5 14 years ago

Thanks for wanting to help...let me try to be as descriptive as I can with what I got so far. The only thing I have modded is three planes in the objects.rfa file...the mustang, spitfire and corsair. When you open my objects.rfa file, it looks like this: objects-->vehicles-->Air. The three folders there are those for each plane. This file itself works fine. Anyhow, thats really the only file I modded.

First, the folders/files in my mod folder:

Archives Init.con

Under Archives folder:

Objects.rfa

That's really it. Is there something I need to edit in game.rfa to make my mod work? That is, if I put a copy of it under archives-->bf1942..?

One somewhat related question as well...

I've noticed that some really small mods are just an objects395.rfa file that you extract to the bf1942 mod folder. Does the number give the file priority?

I wouldn't be asking so many questions, but it seems there aren't really any good in-depth articles online focusing on modding/editing bf1942...or an explanation of some of these files (objectsXXX.rfa for example).

THANKS again for your help and time. Maybe I'll get this working the proper way eventually...lol

greenbudsmapediting

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

119 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

ok i need to start here does your mod show in the activate mod box? can you activate your mod? and did you convert a map to work in your mod?

and we'll go from there....until it works..no problem these are some sites i did to help others http://www.jwest3.20megsfree.com theres a link on each homepage to the next site..theres 3 sites full of info...some needs to be updated so some may be out dated...but still help you with some things..

but lets start here ...

I didn't make it!

0 XP

#7 14 years ago
greenbudsmapeditingok i need to start here does your mod show in the activate mod box? can you activate your mod? and did you convert a map to work in your mod? and we'll go from there....until it works..no problem these are some sites i did to help others http://www.jwest3.20megsfree.com theres a link on each homepage to the next site..theres 3 sites full of info...some needs to be updated so some may be out dated...but still help you with some things.. but lets start here ...

I usualy use bf1942 mod manager, but just starting the game normally -- yes, it appears in the activate box. I can also activate it...but there's no music or movie in the background, even though I'm using the defaults. No, there's no custom maps. Or maps at all for that matter. Only objects.rfa, with three planes.