Rafterman

Rule#1: Bring a Bigger Gun!

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

594 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I was watching Midway the other night and noticed something about US AA guns. I've also seen this in History Channel shows as well.

While FH is accurate on the point that AA ammunition was packaged in four round clips that were fed into the top of the gun, what is missing though is that most AA was fired by a team that kept almost a constant feed of the four round clips going into the gun -- thus essentially making it automatic (like the original BF guns).

Now we can't effectively have another soldier as a loader, but I think it would be more accurate if there wasn't a pause between each four rounds. I'm assuming the gun did heat up, so perhaps that could be portrayed by having the gunner have to pause every 50 rounds so the gun wasn't an auto cannon like in BF (just a thought).

I've always been very good with the AA, but given lag and other factors, it has always taken me about 4-5 shots to find the correct lead on the target. In FH, that makes the AA almost pointless unless the target is coming at you straight on.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

I don't like to whine about FH settings, they already tweaked rotating speed, but if this it is true about the continuous feed (by a gun loading team) in reality, the brittish AA should reflect this.

I agree also that the brittish AA is very, very, very hard to use. It is powerfull, i managed to kill 2 fighters with with a single hit, but i was unable to protect any ground target from getting bombed or strafed in time....rendering the AA pretty useless.

I know ( and am happy ) that fighters should be dealt with by other fighters and AA cannot make flying impossible like bf1942 in some maps does, but at key positions or maps with no allied fighters a little protection is more the nessesary ( crete ! )

CMSGT Johnson

I need an Enola Gay,can I?...

50 XP

4th October 2003

0 Uploads

244 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Agreed! I think this needs to be different, or at least take my idea. Link multible AA together on the ground (like the battleships) for one person to control. That way AA is used in Mass, like it was durring the war. I dont think you would ever see a lone single AA shooting at aircraft, but rather many AA. Anyhow my 0.02.

JAGUART

Thanks for the ftk

50 XP

29th September 2003

0 Uploads

220 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Have you played Wake Island? Its a nightmare for the Allies with all the Axis Zeros flying about. What I can't stand is the AA sensitivity to nearby objects that will kill you if you shoot them.

12th.Hstuf.Muller.SS

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

25 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Just my opinion make the AA sit higher? i get tired of hiting the sandbags and not the plane.

MG42Maniac

A man of dubious moral fibre

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

3,932 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

As I flyboy I find AA gunners to be the greatest n00bs ever but they are very easy to take out as they turn to slow.

bacon flaps

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

29 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

Having 3-4 Bofors controlled by a single player, 2 vierlings, and maybe 2-3 Flak38's would be good. Of those three, I despise the Flak38. Its got no splash now, which is realistic, of course but I just never seem to hit with it. The vierling, on the other hand, is great :D. Quad 20mm sure bring down those damnable Typhoons mighty quick.

CMSGT Johnson

I need an Enola Gay,can I?...

50 XP

4th October 2003

0 Uploads

244 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

I fly plenty, the only aa thats ever, EVER! nailed me, is the axis AA, and that was only because I was going to dive bomb him... man that was dumb... never going to try that dumb arse idea again. But any other time, when Im using mgs or cannons, not bombs, aa guys are toast. Anyhow, somethin needs to be done. I hate using AA personaly, Ive only killed MAYBE 2 guys with it, and Ive shot down around 10 airplanes, IF that, damn bailers... Right now, if I want an airplane downed, I call airsupport in, or I get in a plane and shoot it down myself. Anyhow, AA needs to have better affect.

TommyGunDaliani

Cesare

50 XP

26th June 2003

0 Uploads

1,717 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

i think the main thing fh aa guns are missing is exploding sheel in reality you didnt have to get a direct hit maybe 5-10 meters from the plane depending on what kind of flak gun you are using and shrapnel would tear up the plane

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

At least you can kill the pilot in his aircraft with one direct hit. Did that twice, while the aircraft still flew on for a while....

It is too bad these hits are more lucky then anything else with those 4 shots.