MG42Maniac

A man of dubious moral fibre

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

3,932 Posts

0 Threads

#51 15 years ago

I agree with you in terms of some manouvers are too hard to pull off and the gun damage is too weak especially on 20+mm cannons. I would personally would like to see them really powerful but slower like in BG with a huge fat visible tracer so they are harder to use to if you hit the enemy plane hes gonna go down real quick, if a 30mm hits it should tear the plane apart period. The 50cals on the P-40 are pretty good as are the 50cals on the P-47, the other planes like the Corsair and the P-51 have this god awful camera shake which is ultra annoying and you can't see when the hit indicator blinks half the time. I take it you have seen WW2 footage of fighter planes being shot down. What definetly needs to happen is the cannon rounds to fire more slowly with a much bigger visible tracer and when it hits the plane it takes a large amount of health off say 40% per few rounds. I remember seeing this piece of footage where a FW190 is firing and missing and then it hits .....a huge tracer hits the right wing and it blows off and the P-51 nose dives and spins and blows up. The damage for the brownings & 50cals is a tad low but the Cannons need some serious adjustment. This b-17 has been seriously fucked up by what looks like Cannon fire: b17damaged.jpg Now I would like to see this happen in FH :)

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#52 15 years ago

Yeah that is what i was talking about.......bombers could usually depending on size and strenght of structure take unbeleivable damage and not go down (yet)

That is why i hated bombers in FH 0.5, exploding in 2 secs. Light structure fighters break apart in 2 secs, not heavy structure bombers......but FH 0.6 took the damage to a whole diffrent wrong way, the bombers are good now, but almost all other targets are near immune to fighter fire also.

Not that the germans didn't have other solutions to bring down heavy bombers faster........they used unguided rockets to attack whole formations of bombers, and explosive shell cannons to do heavy structure damage........

Special armoured versions of FW190, the "Sturmbock" ME262, and ME163 were used to attack bombers formations with explosive shell cannons and unguided rockets......and ofcourse the FLAK 88 was used too to kill aircraft at several km altitude. At night, radar antenna equipped BF110 nightfighters equipped with the "schrage musik" 70-80 degree upward firing cannon installation approached bomber formations from underneath and shot them in the belly without the bombercrew ever knowing what hit them. Falling debris, being shot down by own flak and mid air collision with other aircraft were the most dangerous risks to these nightfighter pilots.

The most "juicy" way to kill allied bombers were reasonable intact captured bombers refitted with a german crew, wich infiltrated along the route in the formation and then suddenly opened fire on surrounding bombers out of all mg ports, and dropped time fused fragmentation bombs on a part of the formation below them.