Neko Reaperman

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,126 Posts

0 Threads

#1 16 years ago

Hey all, i just found out, i live near a german vet from wwII, he sounds like a REALLY awsome guy, and i wanted to go talk to him... my mom (who is his at-home nurse) says hes always talking about the old days Quote:"It was so cold in russia, the oil in our trucks froze, and then we look over, and the russians oil froze too, so we have party" (imagne the most steryotypical german accent ever XD) and i was going to ask him if he would like to talk about it, ya know, record an interview, for postarity... and plus i would really have fun talking to him...

but then i realised another side to this story, he fought the RUSSIANS, he was locked away in a russian prison for five years (after the war), and he has seen some horrable things... im worried of freaking the old guy out...

he told a story (to my mom) of how he was fighting the french, and they were all hiding in a barn, and this offecer wouldnt let them leave, as the french were dropping bombs on trucks nearby, and he like... broke down a door to leave, and the barn exploded behind him, and he had the horable experiance of having an arm land on his head..... (me mum said he was crying and saying "eet must be told" as he said this)

now i really have some things i would want to ask him, but i dont want to really mess the guy up...

what should i do? :-(

Crimman

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

130 Posts

0 Threads

#2 16 years ago

YES!!! dude you are in a awesome postion, i wish i knew someone, anyone, from WWII.

Big {Daddy}

Get in!

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

1,708 Posts

0 Threads

#3 16 years ago

It's probably best if you befriend him first, maybe bribe him with a sausage ;) . He would be a lot more willing to discuss painful topics if he trusts and respects you. Don't just wade in there and interview him, throw it in as part of a normal conversation and see how he responds.

judge reinhold

BOY I SURE POST ALOT

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,112 Posts

0 Threads

#4 16 years ago

well seeing as how i actually READ the post and take into consideration the old guys feelings, it seems that he wants to tell his story. it depends on what youre going to ask him, obviously. its a rare thing for veterans to talk about stuff like you just posted, but if you show you have a genuine respect for the german soldier and dont write them all off as "nazis" im sure he will tell you his side.

Miggins

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

21 Posts

0 Threads

#5 16 years ago

My Dad was in WW2. He never liked to talk about it that much really. He was captured at Tobruk and spent quite a while in a POW camp in Italy.

The main things I gathered from him was that he hated sand (NEVER went onto the beach with us kids on holidays), hated oranges (he spent several weeks after Italy capitulated stuck behind the german lines in an orange grove and only had them to eat), but could drive and fix any vehicle that had an engine. Other than the odd tale he would not answer direct questions about what went on.

I would suggest you merely befriend the guy and don't push it. If he wants to tell you about stuff he will. If you go in asking questions right away he may just tell you to sod off.

Neko Reaperman

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,126 Posts

0 Threads

#6 16 years ago

MigginsMy Dad was in WW2. He never liked to talk about it that much really. He was captured at Tobruk and spent quite a while in a POW camp in Italy.

The main things I gathered from him was that he hated sand (NEVER went onto the beach with us kids on holidays), hated oranges (he spent several weeks after Italy capitulated stuck behind the german lines in an orange grove and only had them to eat), but could drive and fix any vehicle that had an engine. Other than the odd tale he would not answer direct questions about what went on.

I would suggest you merely befriend the guy and don't push it. If he wants to tell you about stuff he will. If you go in asking questions right away he may just tell you to sod off.

this dudes fucking SERIOSLY old..... hes like 93....

was born before World war I (i think he was like 8 when it ended)

hes not like insane or anything... hes just a friendly old german guy :-p

i just dont know how to go about it... ive never actually met him... only heard about him...

but the ostfront has always been a personal favorite history topic, and this seems to be a golden opertunity to talk to an actual german solder that was there O.o (and he lives like 3 blocks from me O.o)

Kämpfer

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,394 Posts

0 Threads

#7 16 years ago

Neko Reapermanthis dudes fucking SERIOSLY old..... hes like 93....

was born before World war I (i think he was like 8 when it ended)

hes not like insane or anything... hes just a friendly old german guy :-p

i just dont know how to go about it... ive never actually met him... only heard about him...

but the ostfront has always been a personal favorite history topic, and this seems to be a golden opertunity to talk to an actual german solder that was there O.o (and he lives like 3 blocks from me O.o)

That is awesome that you have someone like that! I wish I had someone like that in my neighborhood ;)

But I have no idea how to go about that either though...

PS (ackward* ^^ )

Lt. Buck Compton

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

29th September 2003

0 Uploads

4 Posts

0 Threads

#8 16 years ago

Well one thing's for sure, it can't go any worse than Brad Renfro interviewing Ian McKellen in Apt Pupil... :D

Vipertheantisniper

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

12th August 2003

0 Uploads

56 Posts

0 Threads

#9 16 years ago

My grandpa's were both in ww2. One is dead and one is alive. The alive one served as an MP at an airbase in europe i believe with the 8th air force??? I got to talk to him about it and it was so cool to hear about it first hand and how he got to go up in a B-17 after the war. My other one was in the pacific and i also believe he was sent to hiroshima or nagasaki (this was before they knew what the bombs did) That is probable why he died from cancer. P.S. I live next to a civilian airport, nothin fancy but its got 1 B-25, 2 P-51's, and like 4 T-6's i think that their texans.

hatchetman

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

11th September 2003

0 Uploads

127 Posts

0 Threads

#10 16 years ago

My Great Uncle piloted C-47s and flew all over the world. He really started flying right after WWII, and he really loves telling his stories. He participated in the Berlin Airlift, and was the pilot that, by a stroke of luck, landed on the hundredth day of the airlift and was personally congradgulated by the mayor of Berlin. Though I haven't seen it, he says he still has the photograph of him with the mayor. But one thing he, and my grandfather, really hate is videogames and movies. They can't stand virtually recreated war scenes. But they love to watch the real thing on the History Channel. I've tried everything, Empire Earth (which was far fetched but still had WWII units in it), MOH Spearhead, MOHAA, Saving Private Ryan (I can see how they wouldn't like that), and even a couple Band of Brothers episodes, but they just can't say anything except negative criticisms of these games/movies.

Anyway, my advise is to watch out the mentioning of your WWII videogame habits, 'cause one thing my Grandfather couldn't understand was how I enjoyed virtually killing people.