emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#31 16 years ago

When the F6F was in its final design stages the US was fortunate enough to find an almost intact Zero in the Aleutians. They recovered it and borught it back to Wright-Patterson where it was made airworthy and was flight tested. This data was applied to improving the F6F's performance further.

Result was a aircraft Jap pilots were not happy with.

Towards end of war newer Jap designs outclassed the Hellcat. One being the Shiden-KAI, which is now modelled.

BTW the Seafire and Martlet look fantastic. This just keeps getting better and better.

Splinter(nl)

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

8th October 2003

0 Uploads

138 Posts

0 Threads

#32 16 years ago

Artie BuccoLobo will there be a sea hurricane as well?

Here is the the Hellcats older brother Martlet.jpg

If this was a airplane in the pacific why did this f4f shot down germans ??? :confused:

newt2003

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

5th November 2003

0 Uploads

4 Posts

0 Threads

#33 16 years ago

Wow What a perfect Model!

When is the Release of 0.6 ? :tank: :dropsjaw:

lumpeh

FH Groupie

50 XP

25th September 2003

0 Uploads

1,174 Posts

0 Threads

#34 16 years ago

I'm not much of a fly-jocky but these are great new toys all the same. :)

Archangel85

Customtitles rock!

50 XP

30th June 2003

0 Uploads

795 Posts

0 Threads

#35 16 years ago
Splinter(nl)If this was a airplane in the pacific why did this f4f shot down germans ??? :confused:

judging by the markings it apears that this particular one was lend to the RAF/RN and was used by british pilots...

Artie Bucco

Guey>Tio(a)

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,682 Posts

0 Threads

#36 16 years ago

Actually F4F Martlets served with distinction in all front the British fought in. British Martlets recorded their first kill almost a year before American wildcats got kills in Wake Island.

SensesFail

The Internet ends at GF

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

112 Posts

0 Threads

#37 16 years ago

Archangel85looks good, but I can hardly imagine that that is a fighter, it looks like a barrel with wings on it....can't be that agile, now can it?[/QUOTE]

it doesn't need to be agile...the American fighter tactics, first pioneered by Chenault (Leader of the Flying Tigers), improvised a new successful strategy against the japanese...they utilized their speed and heavy fire power to make hit and run tactics...Once most of these American planes turned to enter a dogfight they were dead before they knew it...the F4F pilots used the same tactics during the early years of the war and were able to escape hairy situations by using their superior diving speed to get the hell out of there...

Anlushac11When the F6F was in its final design stages the US was fortunate enough to find an almost intact Zero in the Aleutians. They recovered it and borught it back to Wright-Patterson where it was made airworthy and was flight tested. This data was applied to improving the F6F's performance further.

Result was a aircraft Jap pilots were not happy with.

Towards end of war newer Jap designs outclassed the Hellcat. One being the Shiden-KAI, which is now modelled.

very true about the zero being captured and flight tested for production on the F6F...about the Japanese fighters being more superior at the end of the war I agree that they were superior mechanically but they lacked trained pilots/fuel/ammunition to really make them worthwhile. The Japanese were so successful in the beginning of the war because their planes were not only superior but they had been combat hardened during their 6 year war with China. The end of the war also called for new American aircraft which never saw much combat due to the cease fire. The Grumman F8F Bearcat and F7F Tigercat would have blown anything the Japanese had left in the sky away. The Grumman F8F used the F6F's engine but was smaller and lighter and therefore faster and more maneuverable. The Tigercat is one of the fasted piston engine aircraft ever to fly, reaching speed in the high 400mph range...

Lobo

I hope that Brewster Buffalo that is modelled for the Finns makes its way onto Midway because they were a large part of the American defensive that used both wildcats and buffalos...something hard to overlook.

[QUOTE=Artie Bucco]Actually F4F Martlets served with distinction in all front the British fought in. British Martlets recorded their first kill almost a year before American wildcats got kills in Wake Island.

True, the British were in WWII almost three whole years before the US got involved. Under the lendlease program FDR issued, many American-made products were used in Britain. Most of the stuff America actually used was first tested and proven by the RAF for this reason. The (all under different names ofcouse) mustang, corsair, wildcat, warhawk, and others all first made their mark in European soil by British pilots.

ArcherMH

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

29th April 2003

0 Uploads

38 Posts

0 Threads

#38 16 years ago

The Corsair was used by the British as a Corsair, just instead of being a F4U-1 it was a Corsair I, F4U-1B (equivalent to a F4U-1A) was a Corsair II, etc.

I may be mistaken but I thought the British also called Mustangs Mustangs.