akmp40

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

8th October 2003

0 Uploads

14 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

I used to play FH but i uninstalled BF for some reason or another and never got back into playin it cuz i was too lazy to download the amount of updates(too many patches). Any i was lookin back at the site again and was lookin back at the weapons page and i was thinkin, "damn thats a lot!" This version 6 must have to be a beast of a mod, becuase if version 5 is only have done and it is already 430 megs. Im sayin this mostly out of being very impressed.

Also another reason i didnt play for a while it is becuase it takes a long time for it to load. I download Experience WW2 and it loads maps in about the same time that regular BF maps do. By far the worst is Desert Combat which takes uber long. Its very anoying becuase sometimes servers change maps after one win, so i have to wait a long time agina and again.Just wondering if anyone has an idea how long it will take to load some of there maps? Love the FH mod!

Kämpfer

I take what n0e says way too seriously

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

2,394 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

Not sure if the load time has really improved or not, I do not notice too much of a difference between the two.

Eglaerinion

Vault Dweller

50 XP

22nd September 2003

0 Uploads

2,822 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago
akmp40 Also another reason i didnt play for a while it is becuase it takes a long time for it to load. I download Experience WW2 and it loads maps in about the same time that regular BF maps do. By far the worst is Desert Combat which takes uber long. Its very anoying becuase sometimes servers change maps after one win, so i have to wait a long time agina and again.Just wondering if anyone has an idea how long it will take to load some of there maps? Love the FH mod!

It all depends on the amount of ram memory you have. I updgraded from 256 to 512 mb and it literally cut my loading speeds to half of what it used to be, however DC takes still a lot of time. (everything on medium, textures 60%)

akmp40

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

8th October 2003

0 Uploads

14 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

Yea thats what i though, i only have 256 RAM. So i guess i will have to deal with the loadin times. Whenever i get a new machine i will be happy i guess. THanks guys.

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Get a gig of ram. You'll load maps in under a minute. Keep in mind what needs to be put into RAM:

First off, the .rfa files for the mod. It needs to uncompress everything and put it in RAM. This takes probably 400 or 500 megs. If you have less, windows uses a page file and that makes loading VERY slow. It will optimize the models/sounds you use most to be moved to RAM, which is the jumpiness when you start.

Then the map needs to be uncompressed and put into ram, wich is another 200-300 megs, depending on what's in it. DC maps have lots of custom houses and objects and textures that require room in the map file.

Finally, Windows already has all your device drivers and several OS files loaded into ram. XP uses a lot.

If you want to speed your load times, you're not going to with 256 ram. You can go 512, but it will still only cut it in half. Get a gigabyte if you want maps to load in the time it takes a HL map to load.

Also: Unconfirmed information says that all the Vanilla BF files must be loaded into RAM for any mod to work. I don't know if this is true or not, but it could explain why many mods take much longer to load than bf.

Fast disks and more ram = very low load time.

Who_Flung_Poo?

No I don't know who did.

50 XP

4th November 2003

0 Uploads

5,360 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

HA I beat you ALL I'm just about always the first one to load. I have 1gig of ram and my graphics all the way up and this barley even touches my motherboard. But really man the best thing to do is get 1gig of ram. I've played rounds on the Wolf server when it was nearly full and ended the round before half of the people were done loading. Hell people were just comming in just as the final tickets were going.

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

Yeah same here. I load most DC maps in 33 seconds, FH maps in 25 seconds, and most vanilla maps in under 15. Gig of ram is the best upgrade for bf1942ers. Even if your processor and GPU sucks, the gig of ram will make everything a lot smoother.

Who_Flung_Poo?

No I don't know who did.

50 XP

4th November 2003

0 Uploads

5,360 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

But damn though I really did feel sorry for the people that didn't even finish loading before the map changed on them. They must have been really wondering what the hell happened to the map they were loading.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

I have been wanting to upgrade to a 1.5Gig of RAM and create a 1gig virtual drive. Basically you mirror a 1GB HDD in sytem memory. Now that would be fast.

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

I have enough time to go make a sammich, and eat it, every map load.