CMSGT Johnson

I need an Enola Gay,can I?...

50 XP

4th October 2003

0 Uploads

244 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

Are the wesp, priest, stationary 105s. and other artilery (not Katusha Rocket Truck) to inaccurate at range? On maps like the storm, it takes FOREVER to kill the 88s b/c u cant get a direct hit (which is what u need). And sometimes, when Im doing indirect fire at REALLY long ranges (maybe, a 1/2 mile, mile) it seems impossible to put the rounds where you often need them. This causes ALOT of problems, 1st is, un-intentional tking, 2nd some maps are artilary dependent in order to win (examples:The Storm, and Bocage-somewhat) and with the inaccuracies it makes it rather difficult. Its hard enough as is to be effective, only good artilary men (women too) can be effective, but then we are handicapped by the deviation of the shells! That in my mind is a problem! Also, I find that artilary is being used as an AT rifle.... I thought that was the M10 and Stugs 3g's duty. Plus it can be really hard to fire over a hill well enough to hit targets, b/c the trajectory is to flat (example, The Storm...). I also think that some times, Battleship gun trajectories are far to flat as well, (iwo jima for example, and other pacific maps...) SOooooo, my thinking is, lets give the arties that fire 'shells' not rockets (rockets are perfect ;}) more arc and less deviation, OR more arc and better splash dmg and leave the deviation as is. DISCUSION TIME!! :p What do "YOU" think about arti? (Beast of War?, Arti?.... etc....Aces? lol)

*Puts on flame suit* :fistpunch: *thinks this is going to be a mess...wonders about the ocean.......* :micro:

C38368

...burning angel wings to dust

50 XP

14th February 2004

0 Uploads

5,013 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

On artillery: I've noticed that as well. Also, it seems very sensitive to adjustments. I'll barely adjust elevation or heading, and my next shot will land 30-50 yards off my previous shot. Is this just a function of firing over distance, or are artillery pieces just that damn twitchy? On battleships: Iowa-class ships (the only ones whose number I can remember offhand) had something like a 26-mile accurate range. To that end, I think the arc exhibited by battleships in FH is acceptable; any higher borders on absurd, any flatter and they become [even more] difficult to use, perhaps even to the point of becoming useless as a land-bombardment weapon.

urseus

|LAB|urseus²

50 XP

8th May 2003

0 Uploads

263 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

The stalin organ is the best arty ever, simply because it has good range, and because you can fire it in an arc, raining down on enemys. The other arty is almost completly usless, as it fires flat. Majority of the time if you raise it up in order to miss hitting hills and buildings where your firing it from, it will go clean over your target. It needs to fire with less force behind it so it goes up more rather than flat.

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Real artillery is VERY sensitive. You should only be ajusting tiny tiny ammounts when fireing for effect. With some practice, you can nail targets in 3-5 shells.

[SYN] hydraSlav

SYNERGY Member

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

2,372 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Everytime you fire a Wespe or a Priest, the vehicle itself moves, so this also causes changes in the aiming. And you can't expect a WWII shell to fly with laser-accuracy everytime it fires... of course it will deviate. I love the way long shots deviate, that's one of the first things that i really enjoyed about FH

AussieZaitsev

Revenge was here.

50 XP

14th December 2003

0 Uploads

1,970 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

hehe, just got off a server whre i killed 16 tommies with one Batterie Todt shell,hehe. One shell to the side of the house as the respawn clocks turns 0 :D also, on gold beach, the other massive artilley peice is called something like..FH_artillery_2, or something to that effect,

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

I have seen fixed artillery in direct fire mode ( non spotter mode ) not firing at where the crosshair is pointing if that is what you mean.....i have seen some grenades/rockets deviate to right or left of crosshair too, when already fired and in flight.

It doesn't bother me much, it can be compensated. But still.

Distant tanks have a real hard time killing a field gun anyway, because they are very low silhouette and protected by sandbags. I am usually rather killed by enemy infantry manning one.

Mobile artillery is usually hopping on it's suspension after each shot, and that pushes you out of position too. It is worse on non level ground. Ships will begin to rock left and right when you fire the guns sideways.

Short of it is, you will never have exactly the same position for a second shot, and continuously have to adjust shots.