Sputty

Master of Kittens

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

927 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

Playing a lot more maps with arty, I was wondering what was changed. It seems far easier to aim, and if you get a spotter arty can win maps(Stalingrad for example, I was in the 105mm and I pounded the beach, then the first flag, and then the ground, and then the back flag allowing Russia to take the last flag) or just take out tanks(On Berlin outskirts I took out the KT and on BotB after the axis got the windmill I took the howitzer, pointed it toward the bridge near st vith and took out 2 tanks and damaged another forcing the 2 remaining tanks to pull back allowing our tanks to advance. It just seems like artillery is a lot easier to aim and generally this has helped gameplay a lot IMO

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

With the exception of the Pak guns, you can turn the artillery pieces, which is a HUGE help on most of the maps. Please give this coding to the Paks as well. Their positioning is largely useless at the moment.

I don't think it's any more powerful, though. Finding spotters is just teamwork. The spotting kits and classes were always available.

Dee-Jaý

Always 1 point ahead of you

50 XP

17th February 2004

0 Uploads

1,694 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Hmm, maybe its because its more likely to get yourself a spotter, since the Officer class seems fairly popular (I always prefer an Officer over a Close Quarter)...

Sputty

Master of Kittens

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

927 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Whatever it is, it's great.

urseus

|LAB|urseus²

50 XP

8th May 2003

0 Uploads

263 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Personally, i think its the mappers. They know where the flashpoints of their maps will be, and have placed the arty in the right spots. They also know where not to place it, to give an unfair advantage. Dont get me started on the missing artilery hill on new crete.

Snorelax

Fat, Lazy, Misspelled Pokemon

50 XP

13th February 2004

0 Uploads

41 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

It seems like the damage and blast radius was increased on the 105/priest/wespe to account for the new armor values. The defgun splash seems smaller now, as does the Kat's, but I can't say for sure as I don't have the source :P

ron moron

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

43 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

Don't know if the splash is more or not, but I do know that decent artillery with a good spotter can win any map, .6 or .5. Artillery can rule is the spotting is good. I love using artillery and get really annoyed whn there's scouts / officers who don't bother to spot, as it can completely change a battle if used well.

Like you all didn't know that.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

612 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

Arty can kick ass on any map that lacks air power. Planes do tend to make arty obsolete.

If arty has been improved lately, it's probably due to better placement of kits in levels.

Snorelax

Fat, Lazy, Misspelled Pokemon

50 XP

13th February 2004

0 Uploads

41 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

Pshh I'd rather be in a wespe/priest/kat/105 than in a plane any day :P

Sputty

Master of Kittens

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

927 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago
SnorelaxPshh I'd rather be in a wespe/priest/kat/105 than in a plane any day :P

Most arty has little or no defense against an air attack, and air power is often more adaptable than arty because of it's range, speed, and fire power.