Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#141 15 years ago

Trust me, even in an NK1, you can shake a corsair or P51. I've done it. It requires you to fly SMARTER than the other pilot, though. Most people don't think about situational awareness (and the limitations placed on it) in this game, and they don't think 3-dimensionally. This results in most dogfights ending up as turning fights. Two pilots circle each other endlessly until one decides to fly level and bank in the OTHER direction, or one doesn't turn well enough to catch the other and they end up flying past each other. When you end up in a situation like this, let me introduce you to the concept of the Immelman, a particularly devastating move in FH.

And Immelman is when you start out flying level, then haul back on the stick until you perform HALF a loop. At the top end of the loop, you roll your plane back over to right itself, and end up flying in the opposite direction from where you started. It looks something like this.

End <--------<---------< | ^ Middle | | Start ---->------->-----^

This maneuver offers a few tactical advantages:

1.) You gain altitude. 2.) You lose speed, but can regain it by sacrificing your altitude. 3.) You basically do a 180 and can end up on your enemy's tail if you're lucky. 4.) Your enemy will typically have NO idea where you went, as he'll be too busy circling in a flat circle to try and find you. 5.) Your enemy has no 360 degree vision. He has forward view, chasecam, and rear view. Thus, you can easily slip past him if he's not someone who checks his six often.

Often, when you've executed the maneuver, you can still catch your opponent trying to circle and find you, or having given up and thinking he's lost you.

So remember, do NOT get into a turning fight with the wrong kind of plane. Know your limitations, and understand the enemy's (mostly vision based). Also, be prepared to follow a guy into an immelman if he tries it, and be ready to cut inside his turn if you can.

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#142 15 years ago

Dammit...stupid graphic didn't show up properly. Try pushing all that "middle" portion out to where the arrows on the "start" line start moving up, and you'll get my drift.

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#143 15 years ago

How about throwing in some G43's and Svt40's in Berlin?

ReichwolffTBC

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

21st October 2003

0 Uploads

24 Posts

0 Threads

#144 15 years ago
Solo4114Trust me, even in an NK1, you can shake a corsair or P51. I've done it. It requires you to fly SMARTER

Bravo! I couldn't agree more.

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#145 15 years ago

The NK1 isn't a fantastic plane, mind you. It's still no Zero (though it has tougher guns). But it does the job.

The only real problem with planes nowadays is 1.) how damn hard it is to hit an enemy with 'em (which isn't bad in and of itself), and 2.) when you DO hit an enemy how much time it takes to kill 'em. I like a nice long dogfight, but jeez, even in flight sims I've played, dogfights don't take this long. Most of the time for a dogfight is lost in maneuvering into position to actually lay on a burst of fire. In FH, that time is doubled because, not only do you have to get into position to harm the other guy, you have to then spend the time actually hitting him and doing damage. Since I tend to fire in no more than 2 second bursts (to conserve ammo -- which also runs out pretty damn quickly), it can take quite some time to knock down an enemy plane.

Froggin_Ashole42

My nationality? I'm a mut.

50 XP

5th March 2004

0 Uploads

530 Posts

0 Threads

#146 15 years ago

What I do is I fly towards obstacles such as bridges, I fly under them. I also fly straight at the ground then pull up all the way so you do a vertical 360,it helps alot like the immelman that solo mentioned.

Redouts in planes please!

schnuple

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

4th February 2004

0 Uploads

35 Posts

0 Threads

#147 15 years ago
KingrudolfWell since you can hardly expect teamplay on public servers; My own map needs some tweaking I think (Berlin-1945-Outskirts). I've seen many games, but I think the Axis has an advantage that must be corrected. First of all, that PAK40 needs to be gone. The 88's are devastating enough, not mentioning the Wespes at the back, add them Fausts and you got your defense complete. Next, the KingTiger wasn't supposed to be ingame from the start. The spawn delay should be around 10 minutes I think. It may sound much, but the Russians just need a chance to break through. When they do get some flags, the Axis will be able to counterstrike. The Russian vehicles need some replacing here and there. I think the halftracks are pretty useless. The light tank spawn should be replaced by a halftrack, and the two halftrack spawns should be replaced by two light tanks (fast tanks can easily break through and therefore draw attention from defenders to give greater armour a chance). The katyusha should stay, and be the only katyusha ingame (one more and the game will lag too much). I think the T34 (which is the only T34 at the moment) might as well be replaced by a T34/85. Finally, the Axis should receive a Jagdpanther or Hetzer, near the command bunker. Theres a nice dug in place for a tank there (used to have a tank spawn there before though), which should have a long respawn time (say 120 seconds). I think the ticket ratios are more than fair. Basically, the Axis are able to hold off the Russians in the beginning, but eventually they will be overrun. Then the tables turn, about half way the match, and the Russians should win the match, if not sooner. The KingTiger is there to provide some cover for the Axis when their spawns are lost and offers a chance to break through. The hanomags also need to be replaced by normal hanomags, as the rockets cause too much lag (two rocket hanomags total). Especially on 32 player servers (full) it's very tough for the Russians to break through right now, since the Axis team can cover each and every inch of terrain, the Flaks in front, Fausts in the trenches, MG's everywhere, and the KingTiger in the back. It's a darned slaghter on full servers. A few tips for the people who play the map out there: -Theres a sniper kit on the Russian side of the map, you can ly down in the middle of the hill, just behind it and whoop some serious ass with it, as the hill is not completely straight, it offers you excellent cover. -Theres a "secret" place on the Axis side which allows you to do some excellent sightseeing. Allows you to view the whole map until the fog limit. -Theres a SGT44 kit on the Axis side. Much better than the MP40 I can tell ya. Finally some gameplay tips: -Use the officer kit on the Russian side and hop in a light tank. Just over the hill quickly spot artillery for the katyusha and howitzers. It is important to man and use the artillery, because if you can take out the 88's, then it will improve chances of breakthrough for the Russians enormously. -If you're on the Russian side and capped a flag; immediately switch to the PPsH kit. Nothing is deadlier in the trenches than this killing machine. -The Axis should always man the Wespes. Many oversee these artillery pieces, but they can be very useful. They're powerful, and very well dug in. And finally.. please, don't jump in a tank and stop on the hill.. you'll be just one more duck to shoot for the Axis. Literally, a sitting duck. Rush instead! I can also edit the map myself and fix some issues (also found some bugs) and send it to whoever I need to send it to.

Yeah! spot for artillary? you're blown to pieces before you can right click your mouse. And if you rush over the hill, you go straight into the tank traps, if the 88's or the kt or the wespe's or the pf's or the engineer's don't get you first.Give me a break! I started playing this as allies just to see if it could be done. we won once, but even when we held all the control points, the axis tickets were still high and it only took a couple of axis to get a spawn in one of the trenches and you had this crazy scenario of russian tanks and infantry everywhere on the axis side trying to find them. What a joke. But an incredibly satisfying feeling to get over that hill. The only thing I can think of at the moment is a couple of tanks up high on the east side and a big infantry rush into the first bunker, but every assault is so easy to defend against. Unless you get a lot of stupid people spawning at the axis base trying to get the kt.

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#148 15 years ago

i think they should give the 88s and PAK40 on Berlin outskirts a long er respawning time so the allies get a bigger chance ot break through ..

Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#149 15 years ago

Yeah, the raw numbers of 88s and PAKs are fine, but I'd just set their respawn time to basically the rest of the map (figure, 20 minutes ought to be enough). That way, you could have INCREDIBLE defenses, to simulate the serious last-ditch effort that the Germans put up, but because their ability to reinforce is toast, they wouldn't get any real replacements on the guns.

The balancing aspect of this design would be:

1.) If the Axis can maintain a tight defense, they can hold off the Russians long enough to get the tickets to even. At that point, Axis AT classes and close quarters kits can pick up the slack. Maybe throw in a few more grabbable STG44 kits for this.

2.) If the Russians attack in a reasonably coordinated fashion -- if they can kill off the guns one by one, they can break through. See the problem that I've found is that all the Axis equipment respawns too quickly. You take out a flak cannon and move on to the next, but by that point, the OTHER one that you just killed is BACK. So, you end up never being able to open up a hole in their defensive line to punch through. At the start of the map, storming the Axis line should be costly and dangerous. But once you take out the front line of anti tank guns, it should be relatively even footing. And taking out the guns should make them go bye-bye PERMANENTLY (more or less). Doing that and setting a similar timer for the King Tiger (which really should be kept in reserve for if the Axis needs to repel a Russian assault that breaks through the first line) would work well. Throwing in maybe a single Jagdpanzer would work too. Essentially, it'd be a mobile 88.

Really, the Russian tanks should only be useful for breaking through the first line once the cannons are gone. When you get into the trenches and rear defenses, using a tank should be pretty dangerous, given the panzerfaust issue.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#150 15 years ago

Solo4114Yeah, the raw numbers of 88s and PAKs are fine, but I'd just set their respawn time to basically the rest of the map (figure, 20 minutes ought to be enough). That way, you could have INCREDIBLE defenses, to simulate the serious last-ditch effort that the Germans put up, but because their ability to reinforce is toast, they wouldn't get any real replacements on the guns.

The balancing aspect of this design would be:

1.) If the Axis can maintain a tight defense, they can hold off the Russians long enough to get the tickets to even. At that point, Axis AT classes and close quarters kits can pick up the slack. Maybe throw in a few more grabbable STG44 kits for this.

2.) If the Russians attack in a reasonably coordinated fashion -- if they can kill off the guns one by one, they can break through. See the problem that I've found is that all the Axis equipment respawns too quickly. You take out a flak cannon and move on to the next, but by that point, the OTHER one that you just killed is BACK. So, you end up never being able to open up a hole in their defensive line to punch through. At the start of the map, storming the Axis line should be costly and dangerous. But once you take out the front line of anti tank guns, it should be relatively even footing. And taking out the guns should make them go bye-bye PERMANENTLY (more or less). Doing that and setting a similar timer for the King Tiger (which really should be kept in reserve for if the Axis needs to repel a Russian assault that breaks through the first line) would work well. Throwing in maybe a single Jagdpanzer would work too. Essentially, it'd be a mobile 88.

Really, the Russian tanks should only be useful for breaking through the first line once the cannons are gone. When you get into the trenches and rear defenses, using a tank should be pretty dangerous, given the panzerfaust issue.

I agree 100% with this.