Admiral Donutz Advanced Member

Wanna go Double Dutch?

735,271 XP

9th December 2003

0 Uploads

71,460 Posts

0 Threads

#1 17 years ago

This is my first Battlefield 1942 map! This map is based on the Battle of Arnhem. I have tried to make this map as historical accurate as possible, but some small offers had to be made due to the limitations of the game. So the general layout of the city (buildings, roads, trees etc.) will almost perfectly match that of the real city of Arnhem. The map will also use the right forces (British and Germans) versus the wrong forces (Americans and Germans) in the original Market Garden map. This map will have a more accurate numbers of troops and vehicles. The British will have only a few vehicles (most of them jeeps) and the Germans will have larger numbers of vehicles (both light and heavy armoured) at their disposal. Again some offers had to be made; giving the troops the historically correct number of vehicles would make this map pretty un-balanced.

The British forces will have to try to capture and hold the bridge, while the Germans will have to prevent the British from taking the bridge, and force them back if possible. The British will start in the area west of the bridge and the Germans will start at the southern ramp of the bridge and in the east/north-east of the city.

Currently the building placement west of the northen bridge ramp and partly of the east site of the northen ramp is done. Some buildings are already added to the south of the map. The map border will run from the "Eusebius plein (west) to the "Power plant" in the east and from the 2nd small lake in the "Eusebius singels" (north) to the "graslaan" on the south bank.

This map is still under HEAVY construction!! It has some custom object that arent skinned yet and have some small b ugs (holes/gaps etc.). The terrain still is pretty flat, it will get somew hums and bumbs when the map is (almost done), details such as trees/boxes/planks/other eye candy will be added when all buidings are placed. The terrain wil also get some more profesional ground textures when the map is completly finshed, and the units will going to be histroicaly correct (1 british airborn skin and SS panzerdivision Freundsberg skins/armor skins)

This map will support bf1942 and the Forgotten Hope mod!!! Note: FH isn't supported yet! If you are intressted you may download a unofficial alpha here: www.battleofarnhem.tk . This map is still under HEAVY construction!!

Some pics: (the pics arent up to date, they are 2 weeks old!) a map of Arnhem anno 1944: plattegrond1944.jpg

the ingame map (the out of bounds red lines can barly be seen)" ingamemap.jpg

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Screenshot_7.jpg

Screenshot_8.jpg

Screenshot_15.jpg

Screenshot_21.jpg

if you have any questions. suggestions, comments etc. post them here. Visit my website for additional info/screenshots and (black&white) pics! www.battleofarnhem.tk

YOU may play the map online on this server: -=tdsf=- clan server ip= 213.146.173.202 : 14568

Turbo_tiger(DK)

FH dev & JagdPanther lover

50 XP

22nd October 2003

0 Uploads

240 Posts

0 Threads

#2 17 years ago

That looks great, I look forward to playing it.:D

sempai(be)

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

281 Posts

0 Threads

#3 17 years ago

Wow , looks very promising. At last someone tries using a RL map as a basis.

Although the Flak on top of the watchtower looks kinda strange.

Nice job.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#4 17 years ago

getpicture.php?id=549552

Finally a correct bridge and brigde ramp in both city and grassland side ! And no damned mountains !!!

Way to go man !

I viewed it in FH and it sure has potential. The city is really big as a city should be and i think the layout of the structures is good. ( sometimes a bit of a maze though, but that is what dutch cities are like )

The only thing about the map is that it feels big and empty. There are sure enough buildings in the city, but the textures used on the ground are not good for the city enviroment, they make you feel you just put a house in an empty map and that is it. ( i have seen the ladders and wooden boards to walk on through windows so i know that is not true ) It also could use more trees or other objects. And the edges of hills and the waterside are sharp as razors...should smooth them out a bit.

I agree with Sempai(be) that the flak there looks weird. In fact that whole structure does, and i don't mean the missing texture.

I know you specifically said it is under construction....don't worry i read that.

zero_zero

I'm sonic the spacehog

50 XP

17th November 2003

0 Uploads

363 Posts

0 Threads

#5 17 years ago

that bridge looks very, very much like the real thing. Also that structure is there and it looks very much like the real thing.

javierlopez

tester

50 XP

13th May 2003

0 Uploads

516 Posts

0 Threads

#6 17 years ago

looks very very good

I hope that i don't get lag in it :rolleyes:

LIGHTNING [NL]

FH2 Developer

50 XP

30th May 2003

0 Uploads

9,811 Posts

0 Threads

#7 17 years ago

Nice map, but Judge Reinholds Arnhem map is better, it has shawdows and lightmaps and stuff :p

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#8 17 years ago
'LIGHTNING [NL']Nice map, but Judge Reinholds Arnhem map is better, it has shawdows and lightmaps and stuff :p

Then i hope it doesn't have DICE bullshit mountains, or a small second bridge. There can't be allied tanks in that map, there can't be allied airfields in that map, since there were only trapped paratroopers there !

I really hope to see no blunders like the DICE map.

A good Arnhem map features the same long high elevated ramps on pilars before the bridge itself. ( this is the area that the river will expand in when the waterlevel is high ) And not to forget, what is so good about this version is the stairs leading toward the bridge deck ! You can see these used by the two jokers that were sent to light up the bunker on the bridge with the flamethrower in "a bridge too far"

Valdez

Dread pwns me!

50 XP

22nd November 2003

0 Uploads

456 Posts

0 Threads

#9 17 years ago

The link doesn't work for me.

TommyGunDaliani

Cesare

50 XP