Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

This map is a lot of fun, the city environment is great for infantry combat. The level is a bit unbalanced though, but not much. I'm suggesting 2 changes.

1.) Make the U.S. Jeep an M3A1 APC. The Jeep gets destroyified by MG42s before it gets down the hill most of the time. The GMC M3A1 is invulnerable to MG42s, so it might make their trip down the hill a little better. It would also give the German Panzerfaust class something to do.

2.) Remove the spawnable MG42 class for axis. Make a couple of them in kits, maybe an STG44 kit or 2 (don't know if it was the right year). The entire axis team tends to take MG42s and it isn't really realistic. The window-mounted MGs are really cool and put in useful places.

The final suggestion isn't so much for Foy, but for every map. We need a U.S. .30 cal MG. The .50 cal model is pretty ugly, and the .30 cal that's in right now fires very slowly and makes for a poor MG. The BAR could also use a teensy bit more accuracy when prone, or more accuracy while crouched/standing (it wasn't a heavy MG42, it was meant to be used in multiple positions and commonly was).

Sputty

Master of Kittens

50 XP

13th January 2004

0 Uploads

927 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

Indeed is all I can say to your post Ohioan

ArminAce

I follow teh Moo!

50 XP

21st December 2002

0 Uploads

678 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

hehe this "heavy" mg42 was the mg with the best accuracy during the WW2

and the accuracy of the current model with little changes (mg3) has still an average accuracy compared with other MG´S

DeepBattleTheory

Ich bin ein Computerspieler!

50 XP

7th April 2004

0 Uploads

137 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

I agree completely, the MG42 should be in spawnable kits. What frustrates me right now, is not the MG42 itself, but the fact that everyone chooses it. The whole German team gets into that "defence" (read: camp) mentality making for some very dull games. Oh, and some STG44s would be nice on that map as well. Make the Americans think twice before rushing! j/k :)

SilenT AssassiN

A South African Bohemian

50 XP

9th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,951 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

make the allies spawn farther back and give the germans time to get into defensive positions .

Rathole

Take one for the team

50 XP

24th March 2004

0 Uploads

117 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago
DeepBattleTheory What frustrates me right now, is not the MG42 itself, but the fact that everyone chooses it. The whole German team gets into that "defence" (read: camp) mentality making for some very dull games.

This is historically accurate. The Germans were on the defensive here, as the Americans tried to erase the gains of the Battle of the Bulge. I don't really think the MG kit should be removed. It gives the Germans their only hope for defense. In my experience with this map, one of two things happen. Americans over-run Germans quickly and the map is over in a couple of minutes. Usually, as soon as Americans get a flag in town, its curtains for the Krauts. The second alternative: the Germans hold on to the field and MG anything coming down the hill. So, it is either a quick map, or a drawn-out spawn camp type situation. As has been mentioned before, I think maybe one more flag by the church would be good. It would spread out the battle a little bit. It seems the real problem with the Foy map is that it is pretty small, comparatively. This tends to limit options and lead to one of the two scenarios laid out above. Off the top of my head, I don't remember...is the American spawn capturable? I think it is not, but maybe it should be to encourage the Germans to attack up the hill, instead of sitting and waiting for targets to run down the hill. JTM

DeepBattleTheory

50 XP

7th April 2004

0 Uploads

137 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago
RatholeThis is historically accurate. The Germans were on the defensive here, as the Americans tried to erase the gains of the Battle of the Bulge. I don't really think the MG kit should be removed. It gives the Germans their only hope for defense. In my experience with this map, one of two things happen. Americans over-run Germans quickly and the map is over in a couple of minutes. Usually, as soon as Americans get a flag in town, its curtains for the Krauts. The second alternative: the Germans hold on to the field and MG anything coming down the hill. So, it is either a quick map, or a drawn-out spawn camp type situation. As has been mentioned before, I think maybe one more flag by the church would be good. It would spread out the battle a little bit. It seems the real problem with the Foy map is that it is pretty small, comparatively. This tends to limit options and lead to one of the two scenarios laid out above. Off the top of my head, I don't remember...is the American spawn capturable? I think it is not, but maybe it should be to encourage the Germans to attack up the hill, instead of sitting and waiting for targets to run down the hill. JTM

Oh I perfectly understand that the Germans are on the defensive. Yes, they definitely need MGs to hold the Americans off, but I seriously doubt at that stage in the war, or at any for that matter, each German soldier had access to a personal MG42. Perhaps if there were like five or six easily accessible, spawnable MG42s, it would be more realistic AND make the map more interesting. I think then a lot of the problems which you correctly pointed out would be solved. You would have a more diverse fighting force, i.e. M40 and K98 assault troops, which would allow you to hold off the American at long range AND in close quarters. If only everyone wasn't so tempted to spawn with the MG42, this wouldn't be an issue. People are weak though, I know I am! :)

Jagd

{TDB}MajGen.Jagd AA

50 XP

16th March 2004

0 Uploads

720 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

What about giving the Germans an uncapturable spawn? I know that wouldn't be "realistic" per se, but this map is so well laid out for interesting urban fights and yet it hardly ever seems to play out well at all. As was just said it's either lightning fast win for the allies, or dragged out fight with the Germans holding everything and little to no fighting in town because the Allies are slaughtered in waves as they emerge from the Ardennes.

Lateralus

Ad astra per aspera.

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

441 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

I've noticed a couple problems with this map:

The emplaced American MGs, one of them at least, are poorly placed. The one I am speaking of has an almost nonexistent view of the battlefield. Also they are a bit too far away, so the gunner ends up firing blindly into the fog. These machine guns should be placed better so they're actually useful, that way they can provide effective covering fire for the attacking infantry.

The Nebelwerfer battery is too far forward. Having artillery forward of infantry doesn't make any damn sense. It should be on a hill just behind the village, that way it has a clear field of fire, but is safe from rushing enemy infantry. Perhaps add one more Nebelwerfer, or some other artillery piece, to increase the amount of shot that is coming down on the Americans.

I agree that the MG42 should not be a spawn kit. Put the pickup kits in a central location, so they are easily accessible.

The open field between the American foxholes and the German village is a bit too narrow. The Germans never have time to set up a defense, because the Yanks swarm everywhere as soon as the round starts.

The jeep should be removed, IMO. Infantry-only maps are more focused and tend to be more coordinated. Adding one solitary vehicle just gives idiots the opportunity to blaze past the enemy and capture a flag too quickly. Force them to play correctly by attacking in a coordinated manner, using covering fire, etc.

One more flag would be nice, in order to spread out the action a little bit.

DeepBattleTheory

50 XP

7th April 2004

0 Uploads

137 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago
Lateralus One more flag would be nice, in order to spread out the action a little bit.

YEAH! Maybe one flag in the back, next to the pushed-back Nebelwerfers you propose. I agree with your other comments also, especially the one about the jeep. God, how I hate people who go solo in a jeep to cap far off flags.:mad: