Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

I do get the purpose of bombers spawning in repair hangers, they are large targets and are protected against strafing/bombing enemy aircraft that way.......but.....

When my aircraft is shot up, but i am still flying, i want to repair it. And as i am really using the pilot kits, i cannot land in the field to repair it because i have no wrench, i really need to return to a repair hangar....

And guess what......there's a bomber in the way.

Or, what happend to me several times, there's no bomber in the way and i roll in to have my aircraft repaired ( that is the function of that hangar ) but suddenly the bomber respawns and kills me.

Is there no way to "store" bombers secure outside the repair hangar ? Or if that is unwanted, have an area at an airfield ( not on the runway ) you can have your aircraft repaired outside hangars ? Like a tank repair pad, but larger and without the elevated platform, a fence or oil tanks in the way.

That would be especially a better idea for large bombers, that will not fit in the hanger too well anyway.

There are numerous pilots that get their aircraft shot up, but survive dogfights or bombing runs. They want to repair the damage on their aircraft, to prevent it being shot down in a critical condition in less then a second.

Long spawn times for certain aircraft, and plane campers make repair even more worth your while, if you lose your aircraft, you may not get one back.

Therefore is ask can the devs give us a "safe" place to repair on all airfields ?

LIGHTNING [NL]

FH2 Developer

50 XP

30th May 2003

0 Uploads

9,811 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

Well I completly agree with what you're saying, but you have to keep in mind that the maps in BF are relatively small, most of the maps simply have no place for a bomber repair site.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

Most airfields i see, cannot be made longer ( not nessesary ) but can be much wider. They are often flanked by useless mountain masses, water or empty terrain anyways.

Airfields really have to be operational, certainly in a game as FH. There are not only planes going out, there are also planes coming back....

Mostly for reloading, but also for picking up gunners, passengers ( paratroopers ) and relatively often for repairs.

Airfield have improved in FH 0.6 in my opinion, but they are too often only designed to launch aircraft, not to receive them back. That is strange for an airfield.

Mistakes made by mappers :

1) Aircraft respawn on the runway itself

That causes collisions with reloading/landing aircraft, that are surprised by suddenly popping up obstructions. This has been improved a lot since FH 0.5.

The US carrier lift can work satisfactory if nOObs not abuse it, but the fact that there are aircraft independely of existing ones spawning in front of the lift makes the lift often useless......it often blocked, and dangerous because you can collide into respawns of the lift blocking aircraft.

It planes would spawn behind the lift they would probably fall down the lift shaft a lot. Maybe it is an idea to have these extra aircraft, that now block the lift, spawn on the other end of the carrier flight deck. Most aircraft leave the carrier sideways anyway, and do not use the lenght of it, so they won't collide into each other.

2) There are no facilities for repair

If there is an airfield, planes must be able to be repaired/reloaded there, that also goes for carriers.

3) Airfields face/are too close to out of bounds area with one runway end

Needless to say reloading bombers, but all aircraft in general will get in trouble when they fly in out of bounds with low speed/climbing. This problem is ofcourse far worse with current flight physics.

4) Airfields must have flak batteries, to discourage enemy aircraft bombing/strafing it

There are still maps without ( efficient number of ) flak covering the airfield. Kharkov winter is one of them. Flak batteries also provide a more usefull activity for player waiting for planes ( plane campers )

[11PzG]matyast

[11PzG] clan leader

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,175 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

One thing Beast, if the Ju88 wouldnt be spawning in the hangar it would be dead. so I believe Ju88 spawning in hange is better than having no bomber at all......

P.S. Keep it short next time......

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

If you can have vehicles protected in sandbag walls, and under camouflage netting, then why not bombers/aircraft ?

And bombers can stay in hangars as far as i am concerned, if there is another facility where you can repair your damaged aircraft.....a repair pad ( marked square ) for planes next to the runway ( have to land ) would be fine with me.

My only point is repairs must be possible at all times at an airfield. How that is achieved, doesn't matter much for game play.

Being on the ground you get strafed/bombed anyway exiting the hangar, only good flak positioning can deter enemy pilots to overfly enemy airfields.

Btw : if you hate long text, dont read it ;)

Petru

I post to get attention

50 XP

24th January 2004

0 Uploads

66 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

I whole heartedly agree that FH (and BF in general) airfields are "one way", and facilities for an inbound plane to land are limited at best. I'm not great pilot, but I simply refuse to bail out of a damaged plane and simply get into another one, it's stupid. Simple solution....where there is now one hangar - put a second next to it. One for spawning, one for repairing, voila.

2ltben

Shpadoinkle

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

261 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

Some suggestions for making airfields work: *Do not put aircraft on the tarmac, have them on the side so the player has to taxi them out.

*Have two "lanes" for the runway, one for outgoing and one for incoming

*If you persist on keeping bombers in the hangars, at least make the hangars wider. Also have an area in front of it for repairs, but not blocking the open part(hangars shouldn't be smack dab in the middle of runways either)

If you think these would disadvantage the use of airfields, well then that gives us a reason to be anal on the AA now doesn't it, and it was also a problem plaguing real airfields. If you want something to work you have to make sacrifices. In this case it's sacrificing a bit of protection to stop people from smacking into eachother and newly spawned planes.

Leitung Panzer

BFE-WaW Tanker

50 XP

14th November 2003

0 Uploads

75 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

The simpliest solution is to take being shot down like a man: Don't use the pilot class, if your not man enough to take a death when someone shoots you down, you deserve to be killed by a bomber spawning ontop of you. Spawn as an engineer and hope you'll be able to land somewhere. No one likes bailers..

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

In vanilla bf an airfield was a launching strip, 98 % of all aircraft never returned. The carried bomb and ammo load was so big, the aircraft were usually destroyed before they ran out of bombs or ammo.

In FH, bomb and ammo was severely restricted for realism purposes. A bomber needs to return to rearm at the airfield nearly every bombrun, and fighters with cannons also unload their ammo very fast.

Pilots in FH 0.6 with a pilot kit rather not use it. They will return to the airfield to land and repair their aircraft to prevent having to bail out armed with only a pistol. Players that not have a pilot kit, and do not want to be killed don't have any option to land and get their plane repaired.

Rearming and landing planes for repairs will all come back to the airfield. That is an entire diffrent situation then vanilla bf.

Vanilla bf airfields have to be adapted in FH to accept a lot of incoming aircraft, not only outgoing. In new maps, mappers must carefully examine if their airfield is suitable for returning aircraft that are going to land ( repair ) or rearm ( flying )

Such a big airfield as in Alpenfestung isn't really nessesary in all maps. But mappers should consider what happens if all the aircraft they put in that map for one side are using that airfield to reload and land.

Crashing and colliding aircraft at the airfield can be fun to watch, but it isn't really helpfull to your side winning the round. Neither is unessesary getting aircraft destroyed and the pilot killed because there is no way to repair them.

Heinrich Blotgrasse

XXIX Panzerkorps

50 XP

2nd November 2003

0 Uploads

186 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

I believe that both airfields on Breakthrough are ideal. The planes all spawn in appropriate spots and there's plenty of room to land rearm and repair. I know they require a lot of room but ideally all airfield should be like this.

I agree with Beast on the carrier lift. You either have the lift bring planes to the deck and have none spwning on top or you have planes spawning on the deck and have no lift. Having both creates absolute chaos.