Froggin_Ashole42

My nationality? I'm a mut.

50 XP

5th March 2004

0 Uploads

530 Posts

0 Threads

#31 15 years ago
Uncle_SamI like someones canopy idea. Where you use the arrow keys to un-do it. But then everyone will just fly around with the canopy open. There isn't really a simple answer to the bail-out question. The best thing would to make it a 4-second bail-out time. Assuming that that is possible. From the time you hit E, it takes 4 seconds until you can hit 9. Or whatever your para-key is. If you guys are that hell-bent on points then why don't we just lock people in airplanes once they leave the ground? Don't get me wrong, I get as pissed as the next guy when someone bails out of a plane that I worked hard to bring down. However, the thought that I took down a key piece of enemy-machinery is good enough for me. If you want kills, strafe people. EDIT: PS - I ride my plane to the ground too, except when I'm in the B17 or He111, I get the hell out. I'll ride my fighter down.

But that trade-off for leaving the canopy open is an easy kill for the other pilot because the pilot could just fire his mgs and hit the pilot with his canopy open therefore creating an easy kill.

Big {Daddy}

Get in!

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

1,708 Posts

0 Threads

#32 15 years ago

I'm not positive on this, but if you initiate your own "* is no more" style death, don't you lose two points?

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

612 Posts

0 Threads

#33 15 years ago

Not from falling to your death you don't.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#34 15 years ago

Well, one thing is for sure : although pilots could pull out their parachute themselves, none of them performed a 3000 ft freefall with it, opening it inches from the ground.......

WWII parachutes were not technologically that advanced they could open in the same short time/falling distance moderns sports parachutes do. Also these WWII parachutes were not as reliable or strong as modern sports parachutes.

That probably means if WWII pilots cleared their aircraft they would inmidiatly pull the cord, if only because exiting a falling down aircraft gave them critical high airspeed enough, that could tear their parachute and then they would fall to death afterall.....as far as i know WWII pilots only carried 1 parachute, wich often doubled as a seat filling under their butt.......no spares.....

The only expereriments of low altitude parachute opening in WWII i know of, was an idea of a russian kommisar to drop spies or saboteurs holding on to the aircraft wing and opening their parachutes while on the wing, after when the parachute opened they would be violently dragged off, but safe because the paracute was at least fully opened and operational and not needed vertical distance to open so they could be dropped really low to the ground.

Therefore i am irritated by the HALO jumps of aircraft bailers and paratroopers in bf1942/ FH. It makes them far less vulnerable when jumping as they historically should be because they are virtually untouchable when freefalling, something real WWII paratroopers and pilots could certainly did not do/ could not do......

Bailing out would be far more acceptable if the parachute had to be opened quitte a distance from the ground, ( a parachute opening delay ) or not open at all if airspeed becomes too high ( waited too long to open/ exited aircraft in a high speed dive )

DarthWoo

Addicted to GF

50 XP

20th February 2004

0 Uploads

280 Posts

0 Threads

#35 15 years ago

I actually remember back when I only had the Wake Island demo, just flying a plane in circles repeatedly until I was so high that I couldn't control it any more, and then bailing out and falling for over a minute before deploying the chute a few feet from the ground. Anyway, delayed parachute deployment would a solution if only it was possible.

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#36 15 years ago

People do that with that helicopter in DC. They just fly it infinatly high, then u can spawn in it. It takes about 3 minuets before you can see the ground, but you can fly anywhere on the map.

Uncle_Sam

Pass me a Lucky Strike...

50 XP

23rd December 2003

0 Uploads

1,120 Posts

0 Threads

#37 15 years ago
People do that with that helicopter in DC. They just fly it infinatly high, then u can spawn in it. It takes about 3 minuets before you can see the ground, but you can fly anywhere on the map.

LOL, yea I've seen that too. It's kinda fun though :lol:

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#38 15 years ago

There's iraqies that can go anywhere on the map.

DarthWoo

Addicted to GF

50 XP

20th February 2004

0 Uploads

280 Posts

0 Threads

#39 15 years ago

Oh yeah, I spawn in those sometimes. Then I make the mistake of deploying my chute right as I bail out, and end up spending the next few minutes falling.

Uncle_Sam

Pass me a Lucky Strike...

50 XP

23rd December 2003

0 Uploads

1,120 Posts

0 Threads

#40 15 years ago

That used to be a favorite pass-time of me and my friends. All fly super high in the jets, then bail out and open chutes immediately and have a aerial gunfight, matrix style, lol. I got him with a grenade one time when he was lower then I was. That was impressive. (and I got a knife once)