Lateralus

Ad astra per aspera.

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

441 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

A few questions and comments here, hopefully I'm not starting a redundant thread. I've looked around this forum and haven't found anything, but the mods can delete it if there is already a thread like this.

Firstly, the deployable machine guns are good overall. They're actually useful, which is more than I can say for the efforts I have seen in other mods. A couple problems though:

Why do the Allies have a .50 cal? A single soldier didn't just casually sling one of those things on his back and start running. Is it just a placeholder? For which weapon? The ideal one would be the Browning M1919A4. Is this gun coming?

Why do the Russians have an MG34? I assume this must be a placeholder, but for which weapon?

I often get some weird bug where I'll lay prone, prepare to deploy, click the button, but... nothing ever appears! I am on level ground and am not moving, so I don't see why this keeps happening. Sometimes it will happen three or four times in a row, while other times it works fine several times in a row. It isn't limited to a certain weapon or even a certain team.

The guns deploy too far forward. If you lay prone where you want the gun to be, it will appear six feet ahead of you. Annoying. It should deploy so that the rear of the gun is next to your player's face.

Why do some of the kits have pistols, mines, etc.? IMO the only things that these kits should have is the weapon and a knife. This forces players to stay back and use their weapon as it was intended - in a support role. Giving them a close quarters weapon just increases the likelihood that they will be abused.

Is there any chance that it will ever be possible to pick up the gun after you've deployed it? I know this specifically has been discussed before, but I don't remember exactly what was discussed, so I figured I'd ask again. A possible idea: When the gun spawns, have another kit just like it spawn right next to it. When the gunner is ready to relocate, he just ditches the gun and snags the extra kit and hauls it to his new firing position. Is this possible?

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

1: the allied HMG kit is a m1919 .30 cal, it just has a .50cal mg model (as do every other .30 cal) you can tell the diff right now: .30 cal has the ammo box, .50 cal is larger and doesnt (its also only on planes and tanks)

2: It's only on Berlin, and Im assuming it's a placeholder. For what, I dont know. I dont know my russian HMGs very well (aside from the maxim, but that was a bit heavier)

3: For some reason, the HMG code got really buggered up just before release, which makes them really picky (it was fine in most of the internals, so they will be fixed). You can't delpoy them when prone or crouched for some reason. You must be standing (and still standing until it deploys)

3: Is it really that much of a chore to take one step foreward? You dont have to be prone to use the gun.

4: I dont know about the mines, but a pistol is necesarry. Otherwise they have nothing at all to defend themselves when relocateing. They need at least something to guard thier person when friendlies arnt present.

5: Again, this was another bug that sprang up just before release. Before then when you stod up, they were readded to your inventory and you could relocate. VERY handy, and i loved them. Sadly, now the gun just dissapears (only half of the process) but have no worries, it will definatly be fixed next version.

Lateralus

Ad astra per aspera.

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

441 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

McGibs1: the allied HMG kit is a m1919 .30 cal, it just has a .50cal mg model (as do every other .30 cal) you can tell the diff right now: .30 cal has the ammo box, .50 cal is larger and doesnt (its also only on planes and tanks)[/QUOTE]

So are there any plans to replace the model with the correct one? They're so much alike that I haven't noticed a difference in several hours of use, so it stands to reason that many other people haven't either. Having a .50 caliber weapon firing .30 caliber shells is just, well, weird.

McGibs2: It's only on Berlin, and Im assuming it's a placeholder. For what, I dont know. I dont know my russian HMGs very well (aside from the maxim, but that was a bit heavier)[/QUOTE]

Nor do I, which is why I didn't offer any suggestions. Now that I think about it, though, could the DP be used in this role? I am not sure if it had the ability to be mounted on a tripod, but it would be sufficient if so. This solution would certainly save the team a lot of time making a new weapon from scratch.

McGibs3: For some reason, the HMG code got really buggered up just before release, which makes them really picky (it was fine in most of the internals, so they will be fixed). You can't delpoy them when prone or crouched for some reason. You must be standing (and still standing until it deploys)[/QUOTE]

I have successfully deployed them while prone many times. I haven't ever tried deploying them while standing or crouching, because frankly that doesn't make any damn sense. I'll try it and find out if I still have problems.

[QUOTE=McGibs]3: Is it really that much of a chore to take one step foreward? You dont have to be prone to use the gun.

I made this comment not because I am too lazy to move forward, but because it is impossible to judge where the gun is going to end up. It would make more sense to have it deploy right on top of or next to your player, in order to know exactly where the gun is going to be. Now it's more of a guessing game.

[QUOTE=McGibs]4: I dont know about the mines, but a pistol is necesarry. Otherwise they have nothing at all to defend themselves when relocateing. They need at least something to guard thier person when friendlies arnt present.

Point conceded.

[QUOTE=McGibs]5: Again, this was another bug that sprang up just before release. Before then when you stod up, they were readded to your inventory and you could relocate. VERY handy, and i loved them. Sadly, now the gun just dissapears (only half of the process) but have no worries, it will definatly be fixed next version.

Sweet.

[11PzG]matyast

[11PzG] clan leader

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,175 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

This clears up things. And I didnt have a problem with deplying whilst I was standing, so you should try that.

Schpetzka

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

177 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Are all machine guns gonna be like this? Because if they were it'd stop the dolphining MG34 and MG42s I see. Also it'd give light machine guns like the Bren Gun, BAR (I know it's not REALLY a LMG), and other LMGs the advantage they had in real life of easier and quicker set up than universal or heavy machine guns.

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago

Russians could have the DSHK .50ish cal, the Maxim.. or a belt-fed DP variant. One of them even has cute little wheels and a mini shield. That would be so cool to have as a deployable kit. The one on Enemy at the Gates comes to mind.

Rush Limbaugh

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

1st March 2004

0 Uploads

66 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

i can never pick it back up after i've dropped it. It appears there, but i can't select it in my inventory. How do i redeploy it?

McGibs

FHdev

50 XP

3rd October 2003

0 Uploads

4,064 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

if you read my post, you would find out that it wont pickup. Its a bug that will be delt with.

The .30 cal will be replaced with the correct aircooled model done by jackle in a future patch.

About deploying prone, iunno, like i said, it's really finicky, sometimes it works, sometimes it dont. I find i get the most sucsess when deploying standing.

Myxlminx

Fearless Leader

50 XP

4th November 2003

0 Uploads

254 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

Hope they┬┤ll get fixed asap, right now it is like playing russian roulette, on 50% of the attempt you will end up with just a pistol. I have given up on the HMG Kits for the moment after I ran to the windmill in bocage to open a strategic MG position and nothing happened, which left me to futile counter the attack with a pistol and a knife -_-

[1.SS.Pz]LSSAH

You suck at the Internet.

50 XP

22nd November 2003

0 Uploads

536 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago

Last night I was playing Guam (the WaW map for Saturday's battle) and I had the Japanese MG set up and I was able to set it up successfully everytime. However, I was unable to pick it up, as others have stated. That being said, there HAVE been instances when I was playing on Omaha that I could pick up the MG after I exited the position; the ammo icon came up in the lower right-hand corner and I heard the little clicky sounds and it was added again to my inventory. I orginally thought that it was a netcode issue that was keeping it from being added, but clearly it's not. Either way, for the time being, just set it up in a high-traffic area and you won't have to worry about relocating.