Colonel Kurtz

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

27th November 2003

0 Uploads

27 Posts

0 Threads

#1 14 years ago

i have seen a product that takes files from a disk and puts them on the computer...it then runs the game without the disk....it is supposed to make the game run better...does it work?

PanzerAce

Some Guy...

50 XP

11th January 2004

0 Uploads

736 Posts

0 Threads

#2 14 years ago

um, no, because all having this prog does(if you did a full install) allows you to play with out a disk, these are called cracks, and are ILLEGAL!!

Artie

CCCP

50 XP

28th September 2003

0 Uploads

545 Posts

0 Threads

#3 14 years ago

LOL! How much more obvious can you get? :fistpunch:

ottsy

The Beef Baron

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

62 Posts

0 Threads

#4 14 years ago

actually, there are legitmate, supported, products that allow a user to use an app/game without a cd.

raslin

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

9th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,062 Posts

0 Threads

#5 14 years ago

Try the GD off topic forums

PanzerAce

Some Guy...

50 XP

11th January 2004

0 Uploads

736 Posts

0 Threads

#6 14 years ago
ottsyactually, there are legitmate, supported, products that allow a user to use an app/game without a cd.

do tell

Blistex²

Repeat Sex Offender

50 XP

20th November 2003

0 Uploads

269 Posts

0 Threads

#7 14 years ago

Just a virtual drive program.

Goto www.download.com and type virtual CD drive!

I use it all the time so that I never have to switch my CD's all the time. It's not a crack, and it's completely legal since I own all the cd's.

p.s. cracking a game is fine if you have the actual game! I use cracks all the time for games that I only play offline (Combat mission series for one). Last thing I need to worry about is trying to find a CD in the godforsaken mess that is my room!

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#8 14 years ago

All it does is tell the game not to look for the CD when it runs. This helps the game run smoother since the HDD runs many times faster than the CDROM does. You still have to install the game and use the key, then run the no CD patch.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

612 Posts

0 Threads

#9 14 years ago

Stuff like daemon tools is hardly illegal. Remember you need a valid CD key to play online anyway. It just stops people having to find the CD.

Then theres the first bunch of retail BF1942 CDs that were made with cheap material, and ended up with hundreds of people having discs that literally cracked under use. Fun.

Ohioan

Not Wise Shitashi - Cheston

50 XP

6th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,604 Posts

0 Threads

#10 14 years ago
PanzerAceum, no, because all having this prog does(if you did a full install) allows you to play with out a disk, these are called cracks, and are ILLEGAL!!

Cracks ARE NOT illegal if you own the game. They may infringe a minor clause in the EULA but it's unlikely anyone's going to have a pissy fit about it because around 35% of people use no-CD hacks. SafeDisc is notoriously slow, and swapping the CD-rom out when it's unnecessary is really annoying, especially on one-drive machines.