bmargb

BF 1936 TEAM

50 XP

31st August 2003

0 Uploads

340 Posts

0 Threads

#21 17 years ago

I'm also with you. But well, all the times that I played Valirisk (about 10 times), the russians win (the germans only win twice, when they teamplay).

If russians want tanks, take the industrial zone at the northwest of the map, there are some tank spawns .

Mike 51

Bush/Cheney 2004 apparently

50 XP

27th September 2003

0 Uploads

526 Posts

0 Threads

#22 17 years ago

'[RIC Starfires']When I say I want the mod to be realistic here is what I mean.

The small arms and vehicles in the mod should be modeled after the real world performance of the real weapon, not nerfed or strengthened to "balance" the mod. If the Tiger I would own a Sherman in a head on tank duel in RL, it should in FH too. If the M1 was far better than the bolt action Mauser in terms of accurate volume of fire, it should be this way in the mod too.

Yes, fine. So long as, in return, there are more Shermans/T34s than Tigers, or a stronger MG for the Germans to counter the M1, or something. The weapons and vehicles can be absolutely realistic, nobody's arguing that, but in exchange for that there has to balance forced in other ways, be it maps, spawn times or numbers.

This will force people to get educated, find out how the US dealt with superior German armor, find out how German infantry dealt with an enemy which had faster firing accurate rifles. Learning a real world tactic, then using it to win is far more rewarding that bunny hoppin/jump shooting around like some ritalin junkie FPS kiddie.

But most of those real world tactics involved serious teamwork and taking it extremely seriously because the alternative was death. With chatlag, very little teamspeak and crappy voice commands, it's next to impossible to co-ordinate anything. That's why you can't introduce RL problems to what is still an FPS game: ie, you can't throw a Tiger up against a group of infantry, and then expect them to deal with it by hitting the function keys to co-ordinate a means of taking it down. They'll just hit it one at a time and die. You can't rely solely on tactics: you have to give the other side a means to take something down without particularly sophisticated tactics. If something is strong on one side, it should be outnumbered by the other, and so on. I don't mind the Tiger being king of the battlefield so long as there are a great deal of paper-thin tanks to fight it. I don't want to play a game where I'm given a single T34 against the Tiger and say 'deal with it, make up a plan, co-ordinate with your team-mates and implement it, oh and by the way he's behind you right now'. I'll be looking at the respawn menu before I'm even halfway through asking for reinforcements.

The solution to balance should just be swings and roundabouts: give one side a stronger rifle, the other a better MG. Give one side a better tank, give the other more tanks. Give one side a better bomber, give the other side a better fighter. And so on. You dont have to be unrealistic, just selective. That's the only way to ensure people still have fun within the bounds of realism: any more, and it's not fun, and this is still meant to be a game.

By all means keep all the equipment how it was in RL, but you have to allow the devs to balance out that equipment without screaming 'realism!' at them.

Gnarg!

GF makes me horny

50 XP

27th September 2003

0 Uploads

96 Posts

0 Threads

#23 17 years ago

Its fun playing with people cause they think no rambo is possible so they play teamplay n then i just lay alone snipering em out with a uber l337 rifle lol...

[RIC] Starfires

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

32 Posts

0 Threads

#24 17 years ago

Acomba MikeYes, fine. So long as, in return, there are more Shermans/T34s than Tigers, or a stronger MG for the Germans to counter the M1, or something. The weapons and vehicles can be absolutely realistic, nobody's arguing that, but in exchange for that there has to balance forced in other ways, be it maps, spawn times or numbers. [/QUOTE]

Absolutely!!!! That is exactly how the mod should be balanced.

[QUOTE=Acomba Mike] But most of those real world tactics involved serious teamwork and taking it extremely seriously because the alternative was death. With chatlag, very little teamspeak and crappy voice commands, it's next to impossible to co-ordinate anything. That's why you can't introduce RL problems to what is still an FPS game: ie, you can't throw a Tiger up against a group of infantry, and then expect them to deal with it by hitting the function keys to co-ordinate a means of taking it down. They'll just hit it one at a time and die. You can't rely solely on tactics: you have to give the other side a means to take something down without particularly sophisticated tactics. If something is strong on one side, it should be outnumbered by the other, and so on. I don't mind the Tiger being king of the battlefield so long as there are a great deal of paper-thin tanks to fight it. I don't want to play a game where I'm given a single T34 against the Tiger and say 'deal with it, make up a plan, co-ordinate with your team-mates and implement it, oh and by the way he's behind you right now'. I'll be looking at the respawn menu before I'm even halfway through asking for reinforcements.

The solution to balance should just be swings and roundabouts: give one side a stronger rifle, the other a better MG. Give one side a better tank, give the other more tanks. Give one side a better bomber, give the other side a better fighter. And so on. You dont have to be unrealistic, just selective. That's the only way to ensure people still have fun within the bounds of realism: any more, and it's not fun, and this is still meant to be a game.

By all means keep all the equipment how it was in RL, but you have to allow the devs to balance out that equipment without screaming 'realism!' at them.

Yes it would require a lot of teamwork, but that falls to us, the players to make happen.

MG42Maniac

A man of dubious moral fibre

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

3,932 Posts

0 Threads

#25 17 years ago

If the soviets engis are not tards they can waste a tiger easily.

I was playing Valirisk yesterday and twice got killed in a tiger by some engis sneaking up on me and planting 4 ex packs on my ass.

In the end I got 3 Support gunners to sit on the back by the exhausts and gun down the engis and I owned the whole Russian army.

The thing is if you race ahead with the tiger it won't last long what wi h ex pack hungry Soviet engis but if you get Infantry and APC support you can pwn all.

MG42Maniac

A man of dubious moral fibre

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

3,932 Posts

0 Threads

#26 17 years ago

'LIGHTNING [NL']Believe me, he really means it...

I like valirisk too though, great tankbattle and also a good place for infantery.

LMAO, Coolguy used the follow me signal and I thought he was going to lead me to a great place to shoot from, but instead he lead me to a great spot overlooking their base where we sat and pwned all, he died and I didn't know the way back so I had to stay there .