Nigosky

FH beta tester

50 XP

28th July 2003

0 Uploads

617 Posts

0 Threads

#1 13 years ago

http://www.eagames.com/official/battlefield/vietnam/us/editorial.jsp?src=community_update_23

Need Mod Support? In the very near future we will be creating a new mail box here at EA, accessible by Mr. Brown, the purpose of which will be to request one-on-one mod support for any Battlefield engine mod. For now, please direct mod support requests to the old email box [email]bfhq@ea.com[/email], and we’ll be sure that they're routed to him.

Mod Support Coordinator Position Created by DICE/EA Not long after the release of Battlefield 1942, several groups of dedicated fans looked at DICE's creation and imagined the maps populated with modern vehicles and weapons, or early 20th century prop planes and rifles. Another man gazed out on Battlefield's Pacific-based islands and seas and saw pirate ships -- Lawrence Brown (aka Captain Guy Smiley) lead developer on Pirates Mod. In the earliest days, Lawrence and the others reverse engineered their content into Battlefield. With the releases of Battlecraft and the Mod Development Toolkit, these teams found the path made easier, but still occasionally rocky.

Moving forward into Battlefield 2, DICE and EA have set a goal to make Battlefield modding the best possible experience for artists, scripters and mappers alike. Step one in this process was the release of early poly count guidelines for mod teams aiming to create content for Battlefield 2. In recognition of Lawrence's contributions to the Battlefield 1942 and Vietnam mod communities (both in creation of an outstanding mod and in his support of other teams), we are now proud to announce step 2 in this ongoing process: the hiring of Lawrence by EA to fill the new Mod Support Coordinator for the Battlefield Franchise.

Lawrence will be fulfilling several roles in his capacity as Mod Support Coordinator. Lawrence will be working with the pre-release Battlefield 2 tools and providing feedback to DICE and EA. His focus in working with the tools however, will be to create a set of tutorials on all aspects of Battlefield 2 modding that will be released as we approach the product's launch. Lawrence will also be bringing his vast experience to bear by working one on one with mod teams that need support within the community (1942, Vietnam or Battlefield 2) and handling modder queries on the current MDT site and the Battlefield 2 Modding forums (once these go live).

Please join us in welcoming Lawrence to the Battlefield team. We're excited to have him!

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

16th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#2 13 years ago

Is it possible? Has someone at EA gotten a clue? Has the competition of other WW2 mods that will feature vehicles prompted them to decide to help keep the mod teams on their game engine?

Are they reading our forums?

It remains to be sdeen but I cant see how any of this is a bad thing.

striderx2048

DiCE/EA: Ambiguously Gay Duo

50 XP

16th May 2002

0 Uploads

2,073 Posts

0 Threads

#3 13 years ago

you want mod support? RELEASE A USABLE SDK, NOT SOME MDK CRAP, OR MAKE YOU ENGINE FOLLOW NORMAL GAMING ENGINE STANDARDS. you twits.

Kakoru

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

18th February 2004

0 Uploads

1,050 Posts

0 Threads

#4 13 years ago
striderx2048you want mod support? RELEASE A USABLE SDK, NOT SOME MDK CRAP, OR MAKE YOU ENGINE FOLLOW NORMAL GAMING ENGINE STANDARDS. you twits.

I thought the devs already said that (unlike HL) a game like battlefield 1942/bfv/bf2 is impossible to release an SDK for some reason...

striderx2048

50 XP

16th May 2002

0 Uploads

2,073 Posts

0 Threads

#5 13 years ago

hold the bus, you are saying that you built a new engine, aka bf2, and you can't make it follow industry standards? or you just dont want too. If bf2 does not have an SDK, that means they have no intentions of being like valve, and this is just a PR move. a bunch of symbolism over substance.

yuiop

Snowden's Secret

50 XP

22nd May 2003

0 Uploads

3,752 Posts

0 Threads

#6 13 years ago

I can tell Strider is a 'glass is half full' type of guy. /sarcasm

Time will tell if modders will find the promised support helpful or not.

edit: clarified first line

striderx2048

50 XP

16th May 2002

0 Uploads

2,073 Posts

0 Threads

#7 13 years ago

that "glass is half empty" guy. and you are right, only time will tell, after one game plus 2 expansions later, then the cycle repeats, make new promises.

FactionRecon

11PzG Grunt

50 XP

4th August 2003

0 Uploads

3,889 Posts

0 Threads

#8 13 years ago

Like I've said before, they can't possibly make the same mistake twice. Plus, after the bomb that was BF:V (NO MONEY OMFG) they must have gotten a clue.

suzukiltd

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

7th November 2003

0 Uploads

1,649 Posts

0 Threads

#9 13 years ago

pfff Smells like BS

BF:V (NO MONEY OMFG)

Losers still bought BFV

striderx2048