CoolguyAre you shitting me???!!!
Valve gives the best mod support EVER! They even release the SDK and tools beforenthey release the game.
Never said Valve was bad in supporting the modmakers.
But if Valve is such a good example, why didn't EA/DICE follow that strategy ? Maybe because it doesn't make (enough) money.
And that's my point. This (sdk/support) is about money all the way.
Consider this ; DICE doesn't have an SDK. If you want to modify the game they'd have to give you their own developed tools. That's a good reason for holding up an SDK as long as this. Have they ever promised a working SDK ? Since BF1942 is almost a year old. Ask any sales-dude how well a year-old-game sells. The game isn't resting the bargain-bins for nothing ! if EA/Dice makes money of it it's because of the expansions. They really give a shit about those thousands that go and buy the $10 BF so they can download a DC mod or in the future the FH mod.
If I want to play CS I have to dig an official HL game from a graveyard, they probably will give it away for free. How can that add profit to Valve in any way ?
What it will add is sympathy, loyalty and markting-value. HalfLife2 doesn't need an introduction, just a release date and all ppl will buy it for Xmas 2003. That's nice. But if BF1942-II is released and it's good it will score good too, so whats the point in supporting modmakers ; get that version 2 game in store now ! Better engine, less bugs, some more larger maps, 128 player support, etc etc. And they can do it. SInce they learned so much by making V1.
But, if you can remember the introduction of HL then you know CS isn't what made HL so famous ; HL itself was cool, good & a sure shot. It scored over 90% when released in november 1998. That's a sure Xmas 1998 hit. It took quite some time for the CS-mod to become so popular it would cast a shadow over the original HL, but at that time ; who cared ? Sales for HL would be near zero 1 year after the initial release. Because the ppl of CS made such an effort (it's not Valve's effort) they re-animated HL. Will FH be able to do so ? Does DICE have to release FH as a stand-alone game like CS ended up ? Or will DICE/EA just continue their strategic path and release BF v2, oh wait they'll release BF vietnam soon. Ok, discussion is over. New game, attention will be pointed at Vietnam, profit will come from the new game, the new expansions and the whole circle is closed.
Gaming companies work for money not for attention or loyalty since that doesn't pay the bills. Check how long loyalty lasts when Romero released Daikatana. Great name, great guy, lots of followers, game was bad, exit Romero.
Oh and yes I bought BF half-price so there goes the profit (to the distributors, EA and maybe a few cents to Dice, IF they have a royalty/bonus agreement when more than X million copies are sold)
Look I just want be realistic. You guys do know a lot about the game and I guess about most other games as well, but money, management teams and strategic of publishers is a totally different game.
(now can write "no it isn't" , "you know shit" and things but it doesn't change the fact that multiple expansions have been released, a new version of BF Vietnam is on it's way (so they're busy I guess) and DICE and/or EA haven't promised *hard* that they're going to give the SDK away for free)
TommyGunDalianiwhen the hell did you start playing bf it and even rtr were in the top ten for months and dont think you understood what i meant there is people who payed dice for bf42 only to play dc which means if dc didnt exist those people wouldnt have payed dice for bf42 taking money right out of there pockets and another thing why do you think hl is so liked
1) Only a handful of people would have bought BF to play DC. 10% ? I guess even less. Exit impact of DC on the sales of BF. 2) most developers like DICE get paid a fixed price and sometimes some royalties on games. The publisher is the one who gets the money. If some dude buys BF1942 in the bargain bin for halfprice (or less) then the chance DICE is seeing more than a few cents for that copy is slim.
Retailers, distributors, marketing/PR, publisher-overhead, product-casing (CD/Box) take up to more than 90% of the costs of a product. Image the profit-range for the developer who gets a little part of the remaining 10%. DICE sold 1.2 million copies of BF since launch until the beginning of june 2003. They sell at decreasing rate about 100.000 copies per month. Bargain-bin-copies thus almost non-profitable. *Even* if they make $2 per copy they *only* got $2.4 million to cover costs.
So ppl claiming "millions of downloads" might be right but it sure ain't paid copies that fly thru the air.
You guys think that game-developers play games 40 hours a week and do some coding now and then, while driving their ferrari in the weekend. In fact they work hard for normal wages like most of you do. Some even don't like playing games, it's just work for them ;)