Vanthem

Medic With A Baseball Bat

50 XP

10th August 2002

0 Uploads

2,151 Posts

0 Threads

#21 16 years ago

[COLOR=burlywood]And you get to keep your current post count to boot. :p Then they all lived happily ever after. :fistpunch: [/COLOR]

Coolguy

神 & FH Godfather

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,799 Posts

0 Threads

#22 16 years ago
Originally posted by Vanthem [COLOR=burlywood]And you get to keep your current post count to boot. :p Then they all lived happily ever after. :fistpunch: [/COLOR]

We're all one big happy family :frog:

Vanthem

50 XP

10th August 2002

0 Uploads

2,151 Posts

0 Threads

#23 16 years ago

[COLOR=burlywood]Yes, one big, green, freaky-eyed frog family apparently. :frog: [/COLOR]

Lord Nova

Hamster of War

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

204 Posts

0 Threads

#24 16 years ago

Well in my mind a pearl harbor map would pretty much just be as if DC released a 911 map. It would just be as if they modeled the rape of nanking or a concentration camp . Alot of people just want this map simply due to either the horrible movie that was relased a while back (not tora tora tora.. that was extremely well done) or cause its famous. I still think that efforts could be made on more focused battles that occured which were alot more equal in terms of force and military plans such as "marxdorf" "elsdorf" "solomons" and so forth. Making a map like pearl is almost forging a tragedy into entainment, this is also a reason why BFE took down the pearl harbor map during tournment play (it was up but a number of people voiced their opinion on how they really wouldn't want to participate in such a map and it was taken down).

just my 2 cents though

Vanthem

50 XP

10th August 2002

0 Uploads

2,151 Posts

0 Threads

#25 16 years ago

[COLOR=burlywood]ANd a valid point it is. However, millions of people died in horrible & tragic ways during the course of the war, yet it's turned into a game and taken for entertainment value. Their deaths were every bit as serious, every bit as regrettable as those at Pearl Harbor. I don't see much of a distinction between Pearl Harbor and Iwo Jima or Omaha Beach as it relates to tragedy turning into recreational gaming. If you want to look at a Pearl Harbor map as a disrespectful thing, then you should look at any game based off such a gruesome war as equally lacking in respect. What the Allies did in World War II was nothing short of incredible and truly heroic in the purest sense of the word. I don't think Battlefield acts as a slap in the face to those men and I don't think a Pearl Harbor map does either. It's in essence all the same thing as far as the game goes. Like I said, these aren't realistic recreations, they're game scenarios with semi-realistic elements. It certainly isn't comparable to a Nanking rape or a World Trade Center attack map/game, that's a bit of a stretch in my opinion. A rape for one thing isn't a war battle, the Trade Center attack wasn't during war time, there were no troops scattering to defense positions. It's just not the same issue at all. In a Pearl Harbor map you can try to change the outcome of that battle, just as you do in Battle of the Bulge and any of the others. [/color]

BAM

I pretend I'm cooler than AzH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,415 Posts

0 Threads

#26 16 years ago

Originally posted by Coolguy If I'm not mistaking lobo did heightmaps for a pearl harbour map way back in September? :uhm: BTW. I am reborn! :D

yes he did ...

Lobo

All your base are belong to FH

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

6,883 Posts

0 Threads

#27 16 years ago

No, I am not agree, Lord Nova. The WW2 is full of worse events than Pearl Harbor (Battle of Britain, Dresde, Hiroshima and Nagasaki, etc), and this is only a game. I will make the Pearl Harbor map, it's my obsession since time ago, I think it can be visual and full of action.

Vanthem

50 XP

10th August 2002

0 Uploads

2,151 Posts

0 Threads

#28 16 years ago

[COLOR=burlywood]Agreed, Lobo. As far as a war game goes, Pearl Harbor can and probably will make for a good map. To say Pearl Harbor shouldn't be a map out of respect for the people lost in that fight is to say no map should be made out of respect for the people lost in those fights.[/COLOR]

Lord Nova

Hamster of War

50 XP

28th April 2003

0 Uploads

204 Posts

0 Threads

#29 16 years ago

Well ok.. its just that pearl isn't a pure military vs military event (yes in essence it was a jap aircraft vs a us navy but civilians were caught up in it). Soldiers are brave individials and honering them by re-enactment of combat is ok. I mean pearl should be as historically accurate as possible and to me it just seems like the whole surprise attack and hopeless atmosphere that was present in that attack can't trully be accurately modeled in this game.

Artie Bucco

Guey>Tio(a)

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,682 Posts

0 Threads

#30 16 years ago
Originally posted by Lord Nova Well ok.. its just that pearl isn't a pure military vs military event (yes in essence it was a jap aircraft vs a us navy but civilians were caught up in it). Soldiers are brave individials and honering them by re-enactment of combat is ok. I mean pearl should be as historically accurate as possible and to me it just seems like the whole surprise attack and hopeless atmosphere that was present in that attack can't trully be accurately modeled in this game.

I have to agree with nova on this subject.