I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

14th October 2003

0 Uploads

12 Posts

0 Threads

#61 15 years ago

http://www.feldgrau.com/wwar.html

Finally peace was achieved in the late hours between the 12th and the 13th of March 1940 in Moscow. The armistice was to take place immediately, though as always, the message did not get to all units until after few days. 35 000 square kilometers were lost, 430 000 people lost their homes (12% of the total population). Finnish casualties at the home front included 826 killed and 1538 wounded by enemy air activity. Finnish field army lost 22849 men killed or missed in action and 43557 wounded, of which nearly 10000 permanently disabled. Official Soviet estimates show 230000 total casualties, but for example German Wehrmacht studies the following year(41) reckoned 273000 dead and 800000 wounded. This would raise the total casualties 5 times higher, over a million. Even Hrutshev himself has said that "I?d say we lost as many as million lives" when referring to Winter War in his memoirs.

okiN

Duke

50 XP

27th August 2003

0 Uploads

495 Posts

0 Threads

#62 15 years ago

By the way, I remember hearing about some Finnish sniper, Simo something, who killed like 500 Russians, got hit in the chin with an (Illegal, by the way) exploding bullet, but survived and lived to be quite old. Anyone got more info, or do I have to go googling?

MkH^

FH tester

50 XP

25th September 2003

0 Uploads

2,286 Posts

0 Threads

#63 15 years ago

Simo Häyhä. And yeah, he did shoot about 500 Russians. Can't think of anything more to add..

I could imagine him to have been one of the best snipers ever. Tuff fellow.

D-Fens

uwe bolltastic!

50 XP

2nd May 2003

0 Uploads

4,837 Posts

0 Threads

#64 15 years ago

-Fin-Skeletonhttp://www.feldgrau.com/wwar.html

Finally peace was achieved in the late hours between the 12th and the 13th of March 1940 in Moscow. The armistice was to take place immediately, though as always, the message did not get to all units until after few days. 35 000 square kilometers were lost, 430 000 people lost their homes (12% of the total population). Finnish casualties at the home front included 826 killed and 1538 wounded by enemy air activity. Finnish field army lost 22849 men killed or missed in action and 43557 wounded, of which nearly 10000 permanently disabled. Official Soviet estimates show 230000 total casualties, but for example German Wehrmacht studies the following year(41) reckoned 273000 dead and 800000 wounded. This would raise the total casualties 5 times higher, over a million. Even Hrutshev himself has said that "I?d say we lost as many as million lives" when referring to Winter War in his memoirs.

Yeah I found that site, somehow it doesn't seem as believable as this: http://www.winterwar.com/War%27sEnd/casualti.htm

Piispa

Dread thinks I'm a special person

50 XP

20th August 2003

0 Uploads

292 Posts

0 Threads

#65 15 years ago

Yub, Simo Häyhä, the world's number one marksman in the history with over 500 (some 580 if I remember correctly) confirmed kills. And he made most of his kills with open sights, coz he said that scope would require you to raise your head too much.

He died just a couple of years ago, but had some drool-problems for his whole life because of that wounded chin.. :P

I read some article some year ago about some American weapon fan -tourists visiting Mr. Häyhä. They were quite impressed for the modesty of Häyhä who when asked about his achievements just said "I only did what I was told to do, nothing more". Some dude he was... Rest in peace.

TommyGunDaliani

Cesare

50 XP

26th June 2003

0 Uploads

1,717 Posts

0 Threads

#66 15 years ago
okiNI remember you once saying something like "Screw Finns and Polish, we need the Italians in game right away!" Nice to see you've changed your mind, although you're still probably pretty keen on getting the Italians into FH. :D

I never said screw Finns they are one of the thigs i look forward to the most. The polish on the other hand i thought were a waste of time but it will still be nice to see them in-game.

Teuvo

NK

50 XP

13th July 2003

0 Uploads

145 Posts

0 Threads

#67 15 years ago

hmm... when they make Finland to this mod i want MANNERHEIM-LINE!!!!!:tommy:!!!!!! what maps u guys want? :rolleyes: :nodding:

Gamthen

I rax0r you all!

50 XP

10th May 2003

0 Uploads

586 Posts

0 Threads

#68 15 years ago

Suomussalmi, it would be great

Piispa

Dread thinks I'm a special person

50 XP

20th August 2003

0 Uploads

292 Posts

0 Threads

#69 15 years ago

I thought of Suomussalmi also, but then again.. how would you portray for the Soviets the deep feeling of beeing surrounded; so badly that you had to eat your own horses. Or the catastrophic moral failure which led men to run without boots or proper winter clothing into surrounding forests at -40 celsius winter night. It was hell on earth for the Soviets, but I think it's a bit impossible to describe that athompsphere where you just sit next to your fire and listen how your pals on the campfire nearby gets wiped out, when suddenly you see some fast moving dark figures entering from the night! How many? You have no idea, couple over there, another over here.. Shooting! Bullets all over the place! Guy next to you drops dead, and then the nearest 10 other guys.. and then you.. and before anyone even realize, the dark figures are gone..

Raiding parties consisting only some 3-5 Finns with skiis and Suomi SMGs wiped dozens of Soviets trying to get warm next to campfires... and just in a blink of an eye the job was done and the raiding party fled back into the cold wintry forest.

There are lots of horrible stories from those few Soviets who survived that hell... and as freezing hell they all describe it.

Nah.. I'd like more to see the battle of Tali-Ihantala, than badly made Suomussalmi which couldn't possible portray the horrific image of the battle.

Ivegottheskill

No.1 STvsSW Fan

50 XP

23rd November 2002

0 Uploads

172 Posts

0 Threads

#70 15 years ago
PiispaThe Winter War begun on 30th November 1939 and ended on 13th March 1940. So which part of this isn't included in the events of 1939-1941?

Where did I say the Finland campaign didn't start in the 1939-1941 period? I didn't. My point of posting in the first place is to ensure that the FH team doesn't neglect other major battles and events of the 1939-1941 period (including Germany vs. Poland)

Currently I have no idea what the plan is for 1939-1941 in the FH mod