Kingrudolf

Fan FH Mapper

50 XP

8th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,345 Posts

0 Threads

#51 17 years ago

the_moveNot quite! Most of the German casualties were in Russia. And most of them died by cold (it was a hard winter) than by gunfire.

I highly doubt that hollywood movies were 6 US G.I die in comparison to 400 Germans on the other side show realism. I am pretty sure 85 - 90% of the German casualties were in Russia and the eastern front.

And not the Western and Africa Front.

Heheh. yup.

The German casualties were widely spread, from the Africa campaign to the Russian slaughter fields, from the Battle for Britain to the very heart of Germany itself. Hitler actually wasted his men, many times. Think of the Berlin campaign. Everyone knew they lost the war. But still, children and old men and even woman were put in soldier clothing to dig their trenches, as well as their own graves.

Although Stalin was the most dumb of them all. He would just throw every peasant into the line of fire of the German MG's he got, rather than wisely reatreating and actually training soldiers. In the stalingrad campaign, when the Russians would invade from the river, half of the soldiers would get a gun, and the other half would take some ammo, and were ordered to use the gun from his comrade if he would be killed in action.

It's also a shame they mass produced those crap T34(/85)'s.. so many were wasted. I saw a picture of a Kingtiger in Berlin once.. it had whacked about 30 Russian tanks by the end of the afternoon.. 30!!

Neko Reaperman

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,126 Posts

0 Threads

#52 17 years ago
Kingrudolf Although Stalin was the most dumb of them all. He would just throw every peasant into the line of fire of the German MG's he got, rather than wisely reatreating and actually training soldiers. In the stalingrad campaign, when the Russians would invade from the river, half of the soldiers would get a gun, and the other half would take some ammo, and were ordered to use the gun from his comrade if he would be killed in action.

how is that stupid? russia won the war for the allies using this method...

(and the half gun half ammo thing was pre-1943.... the PPSH-43 could be mass produced like crazy (unlike the mosin and the PPSH-41), so most solders had them...)

Kingrudolf

Fan FH Mapper

50 XP

8th October 2003

0 Uploads

1,345 Posts

0 Threads

#53 17 years ago

Neko Reapermanhow is that stupid? russia won the war for the allies using this method...

(and the half gun half ammo thing was pre-1943.... the PPSH-43 could be mass produced like crazy (unlike the mosin and the PPSH-41), so most solders had them...)

You ask me why that is stupid.

Have you read what I said at all?

Artie Bucco

Guey>Tio(a)

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

3,682 Posts

0 Threads

#54 17 years ago

the_moveSorry, but I highly doubt that!

In fact it sounds ridiculous, since the French tanks were obsolete since WWI.

Can you give an example of a French "Über-tank" of that time?

Besides the French were still using Cavalry (Soldiers on Horses, lol) during the Blitzkrieg.

I hate to respond late to this thread.

Hey learn some history or read a book you fancy little fuck http://www.wwiivehicles.com/html/france/index.htm

The H-39 was defefiantly a match for the Pz 38t and Pz IIs the S- 35 was a headache to both Pz III F and N crews .can you name me something that the Germans had at the time that could match the Char B 1 bis?

Tommek

I hate arcade!

50 XP

13th October 2003

0 Uploads

49 Posts

0 Threads

#55 17 years ago
Artie Buccocan you name me something that the Germans had at the time that could match the Char B 1 bis?

Ju87b ;) StuKa

Wiking9

I want to be like Revenge

50 XP

4th August 2003

0 Uploads

359 Posts

0 Threads

#56 17 years ago

@Neko Simple mistake, but theres no such thing as a Ppsh43. Its a Pps43, as this even cheaper sub-machine gun came from a different designer..

@Everyone Don't rely on "Enemy at the Gates" for any sufficient information on Stalingrad. After Chuikov took control of defenses, re-supply wasn't as big of deal as everyone thought. The Soviet 63rd Army did lack supplies, but reserves that flushed over the Volga (pre-Uranus) were just fine. Mosin-Nagants and Ppsh41's were never really in shortage, as Stalin had OVER 5.5 MILLION in reserve aside from the garrison holding Stalingrad.

@FreakNasty Their would have been a pleathora of German tank aces, almost regardless of their quality. You can't take that away from them. At Villers-Bocage as well, no firefly ever DID take Michael Wittmann out, it was a British 6-pd from point-blank ranges....

FreakNasty

Singlehearted

50 XP

7th October 2003

0 Uploads

2,489 Posts

0 Threads

#57 17 years ago
Wiking9@FreakNasty Their would have been a pleathora of German tank aces, almost regardless of their quality. You can't take that away from them. At Villers-Bocage as well, no firefly ever DID take Michael Wittmann out, it was a British 6-pd from point-blank ranges....

Actually a Firefly took out Wittmanns Tiger. :nodding: http://www.achtungpanzer.com/gen3.htm

Artie

CCCP

50 XP

27th September 2003

0 Uploads

545 Posts

0 Threads

#58 17 years ago

the_moveNot quite! Most of the German casualties were in Russia. And most of them died by cold (it was a hard winter) than by gunfire.

I highly doubt that hollywood movies were 6 US G.I die in comparison to 400 Germans on the other side show realism. I am pretty sure 85 - 90% of the German casualties were in Russia and the eastern front.

And not the Western and Africa Front.

While I agree with you on eastern front casualties greatly outnumbering western European and North African, I'd have you say you're wrong in saying a majority of the Germans died in the cold. After the first German offensive, Hitler learned of the swift and brutal Russian winter and went on to retreat west during the winters of 1942 and 1943. Therefore, Germany only suffered a lot of casualties from the cold during the winter of 1941. Most major eastern front battles were fought during the spring and summer such as the Battle of Kursk in which the Germans lost 700,000 men alone.