Solo4114

Scoundrel Extraordinaire

50 XP

16th September 2002

0 Uploads

1,460 Posts

0 Threads

#1 15 years ago

There seems to be a LOT of serious tank fans and people who've read quite a bit about the history and power of various tanks. I've found many of the discussions on here to be quite interesting, and they've actually re-kindled my interest in a different and rather old game, but a good one nonetheless.

I'm talking about Steel Panthers, the turn-based strategy (TBS) game released in the mid-90s by SSI (Strategic Simulations Incorporated, which I believe has been bought out by Infogrames or something). In the 80s and 90s, SSI was THE strategy game company, especially for TBS games (which, personally, I prefer over RTS games).

Essentially, the game lets you control the armies of any of the major participants in the war in a number of different settings. You can play the game's various scenarios (short battles or campaigns based on historical events or "what if" scenarios), or play in campaign mode, which allows you to play the war anytime from 1939 up to 1949 as any of the armies.

Historically accurate equipment is also provided. Recently, I've been playing as the Americans in North Africa, and have completed two battles so far, starting in 1941 in December (the first being the "Operation Torch" naval assault on the French -- not as easy as you might think, and the second being an advance action against the Germans near Fondouk, I believe). My next mission is, I believe, a delay action at Kasserine. I believe I'm in either mid '42 or early '43 now.

It's quite interesting to see the various pros and cons of the armies. For example, the Panzer IIIs, with long-barreled KwK guns are able to hit and kill my Sherman M3A4s and M10 Wolverines at quite a distance. Once I get in close however, my 75mm guns or 3-inch guns do the trick. I've also come across some Panzer IVjs, I believe, which also have the long-barreled guns, schurtzen armor, and are more adept at dealing with both infantry and enemy tanks than the standard PzIVD (the close support version of the PzIV).

What's cool about the game is also that it applies (loosely) to tactics you can use in FH. For example, one of my favorite defenses is the "reverse slope" defense, a tactic favored by the Germans. It involves setting up your defensive line BEHIND a hill and at the bottom of the hill so that, as enemy armor rolls along, they expose their undersides to your guns (weakest part of the tank). Obviously, since no one ever really defends in this mod, you can't do this type of tactic all the time, but occasionally you can put it into play.

It's also cool to see the relative values of the tanks, their advantages and disadvantages, the types of historically used equipment, how vehicles and weapons compare to each other, etc.

The game is a pretty richly detailed tactical TBS game, and though it's a good couple of years old (coming up on 10 I believe) and the graphics and sound aren't mind-boggling, it's still a lot of fun to play. What's even better, is the game is FREE!! That's right, free! You can download the thing, with a number of enhancements, from www.matrixgames.com (at least I think that's the website). It's been optimized for WinXP play and is now called Steel Panthers: World at War. Check it out if you're interested! :)

sturmklinge

Rippin' Kitten

50 XP

2nd October 2003

0 Uploads

451 Posts

0 Threads

#2 15 years ago

thx for this hint. i heard about steel panthers in the 90s but never played it. the website seems to be down atm, but tomorrow i will check it again.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#3 15 years ago

I have it d/l but havent gotten around to playing it yet. Always wanted to though.

[11PzG]matyast

[11PzG] clan leader

50 XP

5th October 2003

0 Uploads

3,175 Posts

0 Threads

#4 15 years ago

Nice game so I have heard, butI prefer Combat Mission though....

Karnaaj

GF Pwns Me!

50 XP

18th March 2004

0 Uploads

49 Posts

0 Threads

#5 15 years ago

Yup, www.matrixgames.com for a *large* (500+ meg) download of Steel Panthers: World At War. Turn-based, hex-gridded, WWII goodness (altho there *are* scenarios running from the '30s [Yangtze River gunboats and Marines, more Marines in Nicaraugua, Spanish Civil War] to the '50s [Korea, French in Indochina] available). (Not to mention people working on mods for WWI, Korea and the American Civil War .) And it's *free*, too... Steel Panthers: WWII is the same yet different - still DOS, for one thing, but it'll run under Windows. Hit SPCamo Workshops at http://linetap.com/www/drg/SPCamo.htm for this one, and SP:MBT as well, which is everything post-WWII (and guessed-at up until 2020, too). Both of 'em are free as well... Have fun!

CooL™

Your mommy thinks I'm cute. =D

50 XP

13th March 2004

0 Uploads

224 Posts

0 Threads

#6 15 years ago

what's a TBS?? I mean, how different is it from RTS? I know what TBS stand for, I'm asking how is it played like.

raslin

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

9th February 2003

0 Uploads

1,062 Posts

0 Threads

#7 15 years ago

Play Starcraft, than civilization III.

Beast of War

Born to kill

50 XP

28th May 2003

0 Uploads

2,698 Posts

0 Threads

#8 15 years ago

Steel Panthers ???

Lol, that game is old. I still have the WWII one and the modern time war one, but they are DOS based, and XP has a problem with that without emulators.

Actually my favorite game then was Panzer General (I) Ofcourse i played Panzergeneral II and III too. And ofcourse in more recent years Sudden Strike I and II. I didn't play Blitkrieg because it looked just like Sudden Strike.

I am looking toward Codename Panzers and Battlefield Command. As i have read in gamesmagazines these games will be awesome....

You are correct when you say these games already tought you not to go in cities, forrests or other obstructed terrain with tanks. Or they will be slaughtered by infantry. That is still true in FH. These games also made objective points easier to take if you first brought up artillery and bombarded the target a few rounds, or carpet bombed them with levelbombers. That is also true in FH, but less used, as there are a lot of infantry bunnyhoppers that rather attack well defended flagpoints without support.....

Nice difficulties i remember in dealing with French tanks......no german tank had chance against them, only the PanzerJager and AT guns used defensively could hold ground to them. You needed Stuka's to get rid of them.

In WWII Steel Panthers perticularly FLAK/AT 88 cannons were pretty usefull. It was an interesting game.

If only more FH players would have Turn Based Strategy or RTS experience, instead of Quake III/UT2k3 maybe they would wait/ask for support more before assaulting defended positions.....would save a lot of tickets for their side.....

ManiK

Dance the dance of life!

50 XP

10th November 2003

0 Uploads

2,134 Posts

0 Threads

#9 15 years ago

Oh yay :rolleyes: I had to be the unlucky fucker that has a GeForce 2 MX400 and I can't play it, god...I fucking hate this POS comp...

InsaneJakester

G-UNIT and [11PzG] 4eva WERD!!

50 XP

22nd January 2004

0 Uploads

181 Posts

0 Threads

#10 15 years ago

lol manik