Super Six Four

XWWII Historical Research

50 XP

3rd July 2003

0 Uploads

83 Posts

0 Threads

#22 17 years ago

Lobo: The Matilda I most definitely used a .303 (7.7mm) Vickers machine gun. And therefore should have no effect against armour. Even armour as light as the Panzer II's. The Panzer II was quick firing, though I don't recall how quick firing, but probably just as fast as the 20cm Flak as the Germans liked using a base gun for several jobs.

http://www.onwar.com/tanks/uk/finfmk1.htm

Griefmaker

Slightly cooler than a n00b

50 XP

21st September 2003

0 Uploads

33 Posts

0 Threads

#23 17 years ago

For, to the intense surprise of the allies, the air landings had brought artillery in to the island. This was previously unheard of in 1941; artillary was cumbersome and was not considered a suitable armament for air-landed forces, but artillary the germans now had.. The answer to this puzzle was that the german forces were deploying the first recoilless guns which had been seen in the west.

You'll need to skin a new artillary piece:

The german (recoilless) light gun 40 (or LG40) was of 75mm caliber, weighed 320lbs and fired a 13lb explosive shell to a range of 6800m.

The conventional 75mm gun of the german army weighed 2470lbs and fired the same shell to a range of 9425m.

The LG40 was towed by the SdKfz 2 Kleine Kettenrad(note the spelling) motor-cycle tractor weighed about half a tonne, could reach 65km/hr on a hard surface, and could tow up to 500kg. Based on the front half of a standard BMW motor-cycle, with a more powerful engine and shaft drive to the half-track suspension.

The 1st group of the 5th mountain Div some 2250 to leave for Maleme were all but destroyed when they ran into a britt naval task force of 3 cruisers and 4 destroyers, the 3rd Batt of the 100th Mountain Reg was destroyed as a fighting force. About 250 survivors were picked up from sea by german and italian aircraft and launches, while a handful of mountain troops managed to reach the shore, still carrying their weapons.

The second group 4000 men, running into another RN force was recalled to Piraeus rather than risk them at sea, and reinforcement by sea was forthwith abandoned until the outcome of the battle was more certain. Most of the moutain troops who took part in crete were flown into Maleme airfield, because of the seaborne setbacks.

I have never read anything about german armour in crete. Perhaps there were some on the boats but they never got to crete.

Thought I'd post this info incase anyone was interrested.

BlitzPig_Machine

Addicted to GF

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

182 Posts

0 Threads

#24 17 years ago

Super Six FourLobo: The Matilda I most definitely used a .303 (7.7mm) Vickers machine gun. And therefore should have no effect against armour. Even armour as light as the Panzer II's. The Panzer II was quick firing, though I don't recall how quick firing, but probably just as fast as the 20cm Flak as the Germans liked using a base gun for several jobs.

http://www.onwar.com/tanks/uk/finfmk1.htm

The idea of the 'infantry tank' first arose in April 1934 when the idea for a tank that could work well with infantry was proposed. This was basically the role of World War I tanks a vehicle slow enough for the infantry to keep up with and providing heavy firepower and protection, this concept was seriously flawed as later events would show. To keep down costs the A11 as the Matilda was first known was very simple with a Ford V8 engine and components adapted from Vickers light tanks. Some 140 of these had been built by the time production was stopped in 1940. This Mk I carried only a .50 cal machine gun and this limited armament led to the development of the MK II or A12 Infantry tank which had been designed in November 1936 with the mock up ready by April 1937. The total output of Matilda II's was 2987 by the time production ceased in 1943. Although not easy to mass produce and very slow the MK II's very heavy armour made it virtually immune to anti tank weapons until the arrival of the German 88mm guns in mid 1941 and made the Matilda the Queen of the Desert in the Western Desert Campaigns in Libya in 1940.

The second URL below for this quote.

The early Matilda MKI's had .303's (1938)...they were then upgraded to a Vickers .50 before production stopped in 1940. It's not unbelievable that a Matilda (A11) has a .50. HOWEVER....I haven't seen a mention of A11's at Crete. Just A12s (MkII's) and MkVI's (whcih had a .50 AND a .303...).

Heraklion Sector - Brigadier B H Chappell and the 14th Infantry Bde HQ with: a detachment of the 3rd Hussars (six Mk VI light tanks) and a detachment of the 7th RTR (five A12 Matilda heavy tanks); 234th Medium Bty, RA (thirteen 75 / 100mm guns); 2/Leicesters; 2/Black Watch; 2/York and Lancasters; 2/4th Australian Infantry; 7th Medium Regt, RA (acting as infantry); 3rd Greek; 7th Greek; Greek Garrison Btn; and combat service support assets including a company from 189th Field Ambulance, RAMC and a section of 42nd Field Company, RE.

Central Sector (Rethymnon / Georgeoupolis) - Brigadier G A Vasey and the Australian 19th Infantry Bde HQ (Lt Col I R Campbell commanding the Rethymnon Sector) with: a detachment of 7th RTR (two A12 Matilda heavy tanks); a section from 106th RHA (two 2pdr AT); X Coastal Defence Battery, RM (two 4in guns); 2/3 Field Regt, RAA (fourteen 75mm / 100mm guns); 2/1 Australian Infantry Btn; 2/7 Australian Infantry Btn; 2/8 Australian Infantry Btn; 2/11 Australian Infantry Btn; 2/1 Australian MG Company; 4th Greek Regt; 5th Greek Regt; and combat service support assets including B Company, 2/7 Australian Field Ambulance and a detachment of the AASC.

Suda Bay Sector - Major General C E Weston, RM and the HQ Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation (MNBDO) with: numerous AA units including 151st Heavy AA Bty, 129th Light AA Bty, RA, 156th Light AA Bty, RA, 23rd Light AA Bty, RM and the 2nd Heavy AA Regt, RM; 1 / Welsh Fusiliers; 1/Rangers (9/KRRC); Northumberland Hussars (acting as infantry); 106th RHA (acting as infantry); 2/2 Australian Field Regt (acting as infantry); a detachment from the 2/3 Australian Field Regt (acting as infantry); 16th Australian Infantry Bde Composite Btn; 17th Australian Infantry Bde Composite Btn; 1st Royal Perivolians (composite unit); 2nd Greek Regt; and numerous service support units such as 231st Motor Transport Coy, 5th Ind Bde workshop, 4th Lt Field Ambulance, RAMC, 168th Field Ambulance, RAMC and 606th Palestine Pioneer Corps. Máleme Sector (including Galatas) - Brigadier E Puttick and the HQ 2nd New Zealand Division with: a detachment of the 3rd Hussars (ten Mk VI light tanks) and a detachment of the 7th RTR (two A12 Matilda heavy tanks); Light Trp, RA (four 3.7in howitzers); 5th New Zealand Field Regt; Z Coastal Defence Bty, RM (two 4in guns); Section C Bty Heavy AA, RM (two 3in guns); 4th New Zealand Infantry Bde (Brigadier Inglis - 18th, 19th and 20th New Zealand Btns); 5th New Zealand Infantry Bde (Brigadier Hargest - 21st, 22nd, 23rd and 28th (Maori) New Zealand Btns, 1st Greek Regt (at Kastelli)); 10th New Zealand Infantry Bde (Brigadier Kippenberger - New Zealand Division Cavalry Detachment, New Zealand Composite Btn, 6 Greek Regt, 8th Greek Regt); and various service support assets including 5th New Zealand Field Ambulance, 6th New Zealand Field Ambulance, 7th British General Hospital and the New Zealand Provost Coy.

http://www.rickard.karoo.net/battlesmain15.html#Mercury

http://www.wwiivehicles.com/html/britain/matilda.html

B.F. Pierce

FHmod Mapper

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

763 Posts

0 Threads

#25 17 years ago

This is excellent stuff guys, if anybody could find decent picturse of the LG 40 75mm Recoilless Rifle that would be excellent :)

Neko Reaperman

I live on Gaming Forums

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

1,126 Posts

0 Threads

#26 17 years ago
B.F. PierceThis is excellent stuff guys, if anybody could find decent picturse of the LG 40 75mm Recoilless Rifle that would be excellent :)

:-p nothing really decent.... but i found SOMETHING....

75rg.jpg

B.F. Pierce

FHmod Mapper

50 XP

27th April 2003

0 Uploads

763 Posts

0 Threads

#27 17 years ago

That's actually not too bad, that and the other one I have gives a decent idea what it looks like ;)

Hehe bicycle wheels, and I demand you change your sig, it's freaking me the hell out...FLCL is a completely insane anime...

hasund

I don't spend enough time here

50 XP

29th September 2003

0 Uploads

25 Posts

0 Threads

#28 17 years ago
ww2freakWell...don't put too many planes on Crete, otherwise, the Germans tend to camp on the airfield. 2 stukas should be enough and hystorically accurate. Remove the Fw-190 and the Bf110, perhaps. If not, leave 1 Stuka and 1 Bf110. And please limit the JU52 to just 3 planes, spawning on previous destruction, not on movement (i get Ju's behind me if i move the plane a bit...). And please modify the door control: instead of the fire button (which leads very often to having to manouveur the plane with "forward-back-sides + throttle + rudder" (not enough hands) + "fire" to open door: i have to get high enough from flak, reduce speed for dropping, rudder to point to drop zone + ailerons to lean plane a bit to point door to the ground + maintain it stable + open the door all the time. Please do this: attribute the same control to the door that you use on the landing boats door - the door opens and STAYS opened - the pilots just have to worry about the plane flight and stability.

Yes, the planes keep spawning on top of eachother when one has been moved a little bit. I don't see what the problem is with the fire button, if it's too much using the fire button and manovvering the plane on the same time, then fighter pilots sure wouldn't have such fun in BF...

I find it to be a problem that people never learn to use fire to open the door. Every time the map is played people are trapped in planes and they go "use fire to open, open the door!" in frustration. (And then when the pilot jumps with a loaded planes most of them are doomed, but this is just the effect of some people not understanding their role as pilots But can the pilot see for certain if there are people left in plane when they are in "floating mode"?).

Im addition, you never know exactly when the pilot is about to open. Me I just keep fire pushed all the time over land, and if others did this it would be easier. Yes it makes it easier for the people in the plane who can decide for themselves when to bail out, and yes it can destroy the "coordinated jump effect", but judging from experience this probably wouldn't happen anyway. Because the process of getting out isn't as smooth as in SW, so soldiers tend to get spread quite wide even when trying to jump simultaniously, and because people don't know when pilot open door if they don't pay close attention they will miss the drop moment (I've heard there is going to be a jump warning light which seems like a good idea).

Another thing is the dropping of ammo boxes. OK so this game is still fresh but I haven't yet seen that function used for support or tactical purposes, it's mostly been used "for fun". Maybe people more often would be in need of medical supplies? A group of wounded men could call out for medic and then the pilot could drop a medical box or kit in their area. Actually it seems like a lot of effort to fly to the rescue when maybe just one single person wants a bit more health, but it seems more useful than ammo boxes.

Parachutes for the supplies dropped from planes would be cool too, so soldiers on the ground (on both sides) could see where they would land.

Lt. Valentine

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

20th September 2003

0 Uploads

1,679 Posts

0 Threads

#29 17 years ago

wasn't the boys at weapon just 1 shot then reload weapon?

edit:nvm i mixed it up with the mauser at rifle.

Super Six Four

XWWII Historical Research

50 XP

3rd July 2003

0 Uploads

83 Posts

0 Threads

#30 17 years ago

.50cal Matilda mkI's were extremely rare, only a handful at the end of the production run were produced. As it is they only made 140 or so Matilda mkI's (A11) altogether. I'd like to also point out that there weren't any Matilda mkI's on Crete to begin with, as they had been removed from active combat some months earlier. There were two dozen or more Matilda mkII's (A12) and a handful of the mkVI's, but thats it.

# Heraklion Sector - Brigadier B H Chappell and the 14th Infantry Bde HQ with: a detachment of the 3rd Hussars (six Mk VI light tanks) and a detachment of the 7th RTR (five A12 Matilda heavy tanks); 234th Medium Bty, RA (thirteen 75 / 100mm guns); 2/Leicesters; 2/Black Watch; 2/York and Lancasters; 2/4th Australian Infantry; 7th Medium Regt, RA (acting as infantry); 3rd Greek; 7th Greek; Greek Garrison Btn; and combat service support assets including a company from 189th Field Ambulance, RAMC and a section of 42nd Field Company, RE. # Central Sector (Rethymnon / Georgeoupolis) - Brigadier G A Vasey and the Australian 19th Infantry Bde HQ (Lt Col I R Campbell commanding the Rethymnon Sector) with: a detachment of 7th RTR (two A12 Matilda heavy tanks); a section from 106th RHA (two 2pdr AT); X Coastal Defence Battery, RM (two 4in guns); 2/3 Field Regt, RAA (fourteen 75mm / 100mm guns); 2/1 Australian Infantry Btn; 2/7 Australian Infantry Btn; 2/8 Australian Infantry Btn; 2/11 Australian Infantry Btn; 2/1 Australian MG Company; 4th Greek Regt; 5th Greek Regt; and combat service support assets including B Company, 2/7 Australian Field Ambulance and a detachment of the AASC. # Suda Bay Sector - Major General C E Weston, RM and the HQ Mobile Naval Base Defence Organisation (MNBDO) with: numerous AA units including 151st Heavy AA Bty, 129th Light AA Bty, RA, 156th Light AA Bty, RA, 23rd Light AA Bty, RM and the 2nd Heavy AA Regt, RM; 1 / Welsh Fusiliers; 1/Rangers (9/KRRC); Northumberland Hussars (acting as infantry); 106th RHA (acting as infantry); 2/2 Australian Field Regt (acting as infantry); a detachment from the 2/3 Australian Field Regt (acting as infantry); 16th Australian Infantry Bde Composite Btn; 17th Australian Infantry Bde Composite Btn; 1st Royal Perivolians (composite unit); 2nd Greek Regt; and numerous service support units such as 231st Motor Transport Coy, 5th Ind Bde workshop, 4th Lt Field Ambulance, RAMC, 168th Field Ambulance, RAMC and 606th Palestine Pioneer Corps. # Máleme Sector (including Galatas) - Brigadier E Puttick and the HQ 2nd New Zealand Division with: a detachment of the 3rd Hussars (ten Mk VI light tanks) and a detachment of the 7th RTR (two A12 Matilda heavy tanks); Light Trp, RA (four 3.7in howitzers); 5th New Zealand Field Regt; Z Coastal Defence Bty, RM (two 4in guns); Section C Bty Heavy AA, RM (two 3in guns); 4th New Zealand Infantry Bde (Brigadier Inglis - 18th, 19th and 20th New Zealand Btns); 5th New Zealand Infantry Bde (Brigadier Hargest - 21st, 22nd, 23rd and 28th (Maori) New Zealand Btns, 1st Greek Regt (at Kastelli)); 10th New Zealand Infantry Bde (Brigadier Kippenberger - New Zealand Division Cavalry Detachment, New Zealand Composite Btn, 6 Greek Regt, 8th Greek Regt); and various service support assets including 5th New Zealand Field Ambulance, 6th New Zealand Field Ambulance, 7th British General Hospital and the New Zealand Provost Coy.