born2lift

The forums staffers think I'm Cool

50 XP

1st October 2003

0 Uploads

189 Posts

0 Threads

#41 15 years ago

Orginaly posted by, Blackeagle3500 "Yes, but the new mantlet with the chin armor was, except for the removed vision port, the only thing that differed him visibly form the Panther A."

Not true. The hulls differed. The G hull's sponson undersides were straight. The D and A had a weded plate toward the rear.

emonkies

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

17th July 2003

0 Uploads

15,096 Posts

0 Threads

#42 15 years ago

G's were also supposed to have redesigned hull hatches and removal of the drivers visor in the hull glacis plate.

Blackeagle3500

I'm too cool to Post

50 XP

3rd December 2003

0 Uploads

6 Posts

0 Threads

#43 15 years ago

@ FryaDuck

"You would also agree that not all Panthers received a Zimmerit coating pre September 44." The Zimmerit coating wasn't introduced in september 44 it was cancelled in september 44, so I would say not all Panthers pre september 44 got Zimmerit.

" I have newsreal footage of a late G with chin, flame trap exhausts and zimmerit as well as D's and D1's and A's without Zimmerit." Zimmerit was introduced in September 43, the Panther A was introduced in August 43, so there were Panther A without Zimmerit. The new mantlet for Panther G was introduced on september 1944 and the Zimmerit was cancelled on september the 9th 1944 the new exhaust was yet introduced before the new mantlet, as your picture shows, so there could be some few Panther G with new mantlet and exhaust and Zimmerit.

By the way: Zimmerit wasn't only a productio feature. It could be additional added on the tanks; even if they were still painted.

Sperber was the name of the night-fighting panther special units. There were two solutions (german:"Lösungen") "Lösung B" was a Panther with IR devices for commander, driver and gunner. "Lösung A" was a Panther with IR devices only for the commander, an halftrack with an extra IR floodlight and another halftrack with a Panzer Grenadier Squad with nightvision devices "Vampir". And night-fighting special units operate during the night.

"G's were also supposed to have redesigned hull hatches" Your right, my fault.

"removal of the drivers visor in the hull glacis plate" I already mentioned that ("vision port replaced by a periscope")

@ born2lift

what do you mean with "The G hull's sponson undersides were straight."

FryaDuck

All my base are belong to n0e

50 XP

30th September 2003

0 Uploads

515 Posts

0 Threads

#44 15 years ago

Flame trap exhausts were fitted from October 44. This all matches up with the footage which, I believe, is from the Ardennes offensive in late '44. The only thing I can figure is which unit the Panther belonged too as the markings are indistinct.